PDA

View Full Version : Closing camper up for winter ????

DonnaWV
09-25-2006, 03:05 AM
What do you guys leave in your campers, if anything? I am closing mine up, and I am not sure what I can leave in there. I am afraid that mice may chew up everything. I have taken all the food, bath stuff, cleaning stuff. What about leaving the pillows and blankets? I don't want to find a mess in the spring. Thanks, Donna

freeby4me
09-25-2006, 04:11 AM
I would say take out anything you dont want to clean in the spring. Maybe even the cushions and stuff too. Perhaps a local camper store has a website with recommendations on it?? Im sorry, We dont have one so I really dont know what to do either. :confused:

Anthill
09-25-2006, 01:51 PM
We are getting ready to also close up our camper. I usually take out all food, cleaning supplies, basically anything that can freeze over the winter. I pack up all the blankets, sheets, pillows, towels, and put them in a big air tight bag w/ dryer sheets one on the bottom and one on the top right before I zip up the bag. (I got a bunch of the bags from Acme from thier Photo department, when they pick up and drop off film the guy didn't want them back so he let me have them). Our camper has a private bedroom, and I put the bags under teh bed. I leave all the plates, utensils, cups there but when I reopen in the spring I give them a good cleaning. We are able to go to our camper during the winter time and get it in there. So right before they open for the summer we usually go down there for teh day and straighten up our site and I grab the bags of blankets, sheets etc and take them home and run them thru the washer, dryer. So good luck where is your camper at? We have ours in New Jersey, have had it for about 5 yrs now.

ant

DonnaWV
09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks Ant, for your help. This is the frist year that we have had our camper. It is sitting in our yard (WV). I have done everything that you have said, except the blankets and pillows. I put all my dish towels and wash clothes in a tote. I hate to close it up, its like admitting that camping season is over, and old man winter is on his way. Thanks again for all your help. Have a good evening. Donna

1luckylady
09-26-2006, 05:26 AM
Ours is in WV also sitting on our river lot. We will be towing it home to Md. soon to put it up for the winter.
We take out anything that will freeze. I put all of it in totes and store it at home in a closet. We put cedar blocks in the cabinets and bounce fabric sheets all around in the storage areas, under the sinks and in drawers. We have been told they do a good job of keeping mice out. So far they have worked for us. If you ever get mice in your camper you'll do anything anyone suggests to keep from getting them back. Good luck!

DonnaWV
09-28-2006, 03:34 AM
1luckylady, I will thry the fabric sheets, thanks for the help

adafarms
09-29-2006, 05:11 PM
We have a camper and a motor boat that we store for the winter in our barn. I take everything that would freeze,food,cleaning items out.I leave everything else as it is-just wash towels,bedding and dishes in the spring when we get out. They will smell so much better then. Wipe the refrigerator/freezer completely dry-but leave open as you do not want it to get mold in it over the winter. I put several small pie tins of moth balls thruout the camper-even in storage areas underneath. (When you open it up in the spring-just open and let air our for a couple days.) We have left our boat stored in the barn for 3 year(lack of time to use it) and have never had one mouse. We have had campers for about 15 years and have always done this and have never had any "little critters!" I live in Ohio so some winters seem really long and cold. Good Luck!!