PDA

View Full Version : I need to find a reasonable hair dresser

Doreas_13
09-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I've been going to the same hair dresser for the pass 4-5 years now. And every year he's been going up with the prices. When I first went to him, it cost me $60.00 for a re-touch. For a regular wash and set it was $35.00. Well now for a re-touch it's costing me $90.00 and $50 for a wash and set depending on what you have done for the wash and set. The $50.00 is for a deep conditioning set. In all, my hair is looking bad these days. I can't afford his prices anymore ($90.00 for a re-touch). My hair is not looking $90.00 worth of style. I do love my hair dresser but his prices I can't afford anymore. I don't have that type of money for a re-touch anymore. I'm a temp at this job I've been with since Feb of this year. I have been looking around for other hair dressers that can do African-America hair. And help me maintain it at a reasonable cost but all I come across is young loud girls. I mean when I walk into a hair place. I see young loud girls just hanging out yelling, screaming on their cell phone. All they do is just loaf. And I can see how these young hair dressers are not paying attention to the person in the chair. I love to talk to my hair dresser but I can't take all the distraction surround my hair dresser while I'm in the chair. But that's not all. Their are other things that I am also looking for. And I am praying someone in my surround area can help me. Because I don't know what to do anymore.

Questions. Isn't their a law where hair dresser must maintain a rate? Or something to that affect. I don't know, just asking is all.

I live in the city Pittsburgh, PA I know what type of perm my hair can take. Since I think I try them all, already.
*Price is my #1 concern.
* I don't care if the hair dresser is black, white, chinese, gay or straight.

Are some of these hair dressers getting to be a little outragous with the price.

I have to make a decision soon.
Your opinion,please.

Thanks
Dorea

Quaker_Parrots
09-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Ever thought about giving a beauty college a try? You give a student a chance to learn at a very cut rate.

silvermist
09-05-2006, 05:37 AM
I doubt there's a rate law. Some celebrity stylists charge thousands of dollars and it all depends where you live as well. You could get it done by students and the teacher watches over or maybe someplace like supercuts.

Karnevil9
09-05-2006, 05:55 AM
Take out the Yellow Pages and start calling - start with the price of cut & style, once you find someone reasonable then ask about perming, coloring, etc. I live in the French Quarter of New Orleans, have been going to my stylist for about five years, and a wash, cut & style is still only $25, color is $60. I can go to a place right around the corner though and pay $75 for a cut and $150 for color! I'd also recommend staying away from the high-end chains, as they're trained to bump up your final purchase price by pushing expensive products. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find something!

Doreas_13
09-05-2006, 08:28 AM
GREAT IDEA Karnevil9 !!!!
Thanks
Dorea

VALENA-)45
09-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Ever thought about giving a beauty college a try? You give a student a chance to learn at a very cut rate. I was going to say the same thing. I get my hair done at one. Is the an Austin Beauty School in your area. Good Luck.

cinnamonch
09-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Best suggestion is to ask people who does their hair. Get the name and numbers from them and go by and check the salons out. I have long hair and wouldn't just call someone out of the phone book and go to them as long hair is not everyone's specialty likewise neither is short hair, hair coloring, etc.

Also, how often do you go? I go every week so I get a better rate since I am a "regular".

delSol
09-05-2006, 01:57 PM
I have long straight hair so just a little trim from time to time is all I need - I went to the walmart hair thing a bit ago and the woman that cut my hair offered to help me fix my "naturals" (lol, stray grays) in her home and she gave me her number...

buglebe
09-05-2006, 07:05 PM
My son is a hair dresser. You do almost always pay more for a man to do your hair. It depends on the area of town you go to for your hair to be done. The shop's reputation and clientele also have a lot to do with the price. If working for someone else the rates depend on management. The more popular the hair dresser is , the more he can charge. So when you first started going to your hair dresser he may not have had a lot of customers but in the years you have being going to him he has been building his clientele list so he may be in great demand now. Everyone wants to make as much money as they can. If the guy is good, you are going to pay more.
That is just how life works. Personally, I would not be able to afford to go to my son if I had to pay the prices the shop charges. Good luck. In the hair business I do think in most times you get what you pay for. But I have gone to Walmart for my hair and usually do, because my son stays so busy and I have gotten some really rotten cuts and some very good cuts. Good luck!

xtrememom
09-06-2006, 09:24 PM
I used to work for one of the larger chains Creative Hairdressers which owns both The Hair Cuttery and Bubbles hair salons. Their prices are good and I know sometimes you get a bad deal from some people, but I have found several people at my local Hair Cuttery that are terrific and the price is right. I used to go to a guy from Heidi's salon and man he was awesome but as the years went by his time was valueable and sometimes you had to book months in advance, I couldnt see paying his prices back then in 1997 of $90 to highlight and $60 for a cut and blowdry it was too much.

I will agree that prices can get too high, Beauty Schools are awesome places to get a good deal and sometimes you get better service from them than at a regular salon. Thats how I learned to do hair 25 yrs ago, african american hair was my speciality and had I not became allergic to the relaxer/perm chemicals I would have had a good career until I got sick. Try the beauty schools, hunt around at the various chains, my local Hair Cuttery has an older man (50's second career) who specializes in african american hair, he does caucasian too and he is well to quote my 7 yr old son who got his hair cut by him and he spiked it for him "He's the Bomb" I would also ask around where you work, church, other places where people get their hair done. I will tell you the price you are paying is high, but I have seen it a lot higher.

xtrmemom

tngirl
09-07-2006, 05:00 AM
Just remember, you get what you pay for. You may find an up and comer to start doing your hair but, once they become popular you will be back in the same position.

Lilmom_3
09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Wow do I feel lucky..I live in East TN and the hairdresser I go to uses her parents basement for a shop. She does a wonderful job and a haircut is $10 and I just had a color, cut & style today for $30. Can't beat the price..I always tip her. I'm sure she doesn't have as many colors to choose from, but has all I need.

She stays there because she has a two year old who stays there with her and she can watch him and he goes upstairs with his papa when he needs to take a nap. She has a TV that he can watch cartoons and has toys to play with.