PDA

View Full Version : Young girls and make-up-what's your opinion?

Out2Lunch
08-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Well, my daughter just ended her first week in the 2nd grade! When I took her for orientation the Friday before school started, there was a pretty little girl and she was COVERED in make-up...lol. I dont mean she looked awful, but I was shocked to see such a young girl wearing make-up. She had on eye-shadow, lipstick, blush...the whole 9 from what I could tell. My daughter has been coming home everyday telling me all about her make-up....lol. Just wondering what you allow your young daughters to wear as far as make-up. I will let mine play all day long with make-up, but she can only wear a very light pink lip gloss out of the house!!!:) BTW, my dd is a young 2nd grader and wont be 7 until Oct.

YNKYH8R
08-12-2006, 05:41 AM
It obviously depends on the parent. If she looked good and it wasn't trashy then okay. My wife hardly ever wears make up so our daughter probably won't either except for nail polish. Then again some people have a problem with piercing little girls ears.

tngirl
08-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Think about the reasons that we were makeup. To make ourselves attractive or to attract the opposite sex. I equate little girls wearing makeup with them wearing "sexy" clothes. Also, it really isn't good for their skin.

I would not let my daughter wear makeup until she was 15 except for "dress-up". They are only a child once. The makeup thing is one of the things that I hate about child pageants. If they are such a pretty child then why do they need to cake on the makeup?

Willow
08-12-2006, 05:58 AM
I personally think second grade is too young to start wearing make up. I think I was 14 when my mother allowed me to start wearing it. I did try to wear it before that time but if my mother caught me with it on she would take me into the bathroom and wash my face. lol

tngirl
08-12-2006, 06:03 AM
I personally think second grade is too young to start wearing make up. I think I was 14 when my mother allowed me to start wearing it. I did try to wear it before that time but if my mother caught me with it on she would take me into the bathroom and wash my face. lol

My daughter spent the nite with a friend when she was like 9 or 10 and decided that she would wear make up...you know, what mom doesn't know?....anyways, her skin broke out from the makeup. Talk about some help proving mom right...lol :D

Freebeemom
08-12-2006, 06:08 AM
I agree with you. I have a dd in 2nd grade and there is no way I woudl let her wear make up every day to school. Sure, sometimes she dresses up at home and puts on play make up, but I also tell her that it is important to clean it up. I think these girls are too young to do that at this moment. They have the rest of their lives to put crap on their face if they want to, why ruin that beautiful, young skin?

I feel the same about pierced ears. I told my dd she has t wait until she is at least 11 to do it. I think then she will be a bit more responsible to be able to keep them clean. Why add all these social pressures on these girls now? Too many of them rely on material things to let them know they are beautiful (already!). Let's start from the inside and work our way out.

kyswpgrl
08-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Think about the reasons that we were makeup. To make ourselves attractive or to attract the opposite sex. I equate little girls wearing makeup with them wearing "sexy" clothes. Also, it really isn't good for their skin.

Are you serious? I started wearing makeup when I was 11-12 and I never in my life wore what would be considered "sexy" clothes until I was over 21. You're entitled to your opinion, but not everyone (young or old) that wears makeup also wears "sexy" clothing. To be quite honest, I didn't even start wearing it to "attract the opposite sex" either. I still don't. I have always done it to feel better about myself. I know that means I have a low self-esteem, but I know I look better when I am wearing makeup.

As for the OP, I definitely think 2nd grade is too young to be wearing makeup!!! My dd is 9 and entering 4th grade. Like others here, she rarely puts on play makeup at home. I don't allow her to leave the house with anything more than chapstick or lip gloss and even that is rare.

Out2Lunch
08-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Ok, I am glad I am not alone....lol:) I only wear mascara and maybe a brown eyeshadow, clear lip gloss....that's it. My dd doesn't play with make-up very often...maybe a few times a month. Which is why I allow her to play around when she decides to PLAY and I say play b/c she knows I would NOT let her out of the house...lol:)

Willow
08-12-2006, 06:54 AM
My daughter was about 7 months old when I had her ears pierced. I figured most girls end up wearing earrings so it was probably something she would have done at some point herself anyway. Maybe I was wrong for making that choice for her but I don't think she minds.

buttrfli
08-12-2006, 08:23 AM
I let my girls (9 & 11) wear makeup around the house, but it must be washed off if they want to leave the house. I don't mind lip gloss (which they don't go anywhere w/o) but theres no reason for them to wear makeup in public. I also let them wear body glitter, but since they don't liek it, I don't have to worry about it. I personally think it looks tacky on young girls. When our older girls were young, we didn't let them start wearing it until they were 15.. and even then they had to pay for it themselves.

cathych
08-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Children grow up too fast. When they become sexually active at age 10 & have babies at age 12, everyone asks why. This is exactly the reason. Children are not children anymore. A 7 year old should go to school, then play outside afterwards, & that is all, period. I think that a young child that gets into make up at an early age like that is just getting set up for trouble in a few years. Lets see, what comes after make up. Pierced ears, then hose, then sexy clothes, then sex in the bathroom at school, then a baby, then she sure wont be that cute little young thing any more after that, will she?

tngirl
08-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Are you serious? I started wearing makeup when I was 11-12 and I never in my life wore what would be considered "sexy" clothes until I was over 21. You're entitled to your opinion, but not everyone (young or old) that wears makeup also wears "sexy" clothing. To be quite honest, I didn't even start wearing it to "attract the opposite sex" either. I still don't. I have always done it to feel better about myself. I know that means I have a low self-esteem, but I know I look better when I am wearing makeup.

As for the OP, I definitely think 2nd grade is too young to be wearing makeup!!! My dd is 9 and entering 4th grade. Like others here, she rarely puts on play makeup at home. I don't allow her to leave the house with anything more than chapstick or lip gloss and even that is rare.

Maybe you do not see it as an attempt to attract, but, the opposite sex does. Also, when young girls wear makeup it usually makes them appear older or anyone seeing them assume they are older. And by the way, this isn't just MY opinion.

Kyla Kym
08-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Second grader! :eek:
Sounds like to me she has a selfish self-centered mother that must only think of herself and not her child.......if the mother had any brains at all she would realize that her daughter will be talked about behind her back and probably teased and made fun of to her face. A young fragile mind doesn't need that type of ridicule, just because she has a lousy mother that don't want to take the time to explain to her why she shouldn't be wearing makeup to school while she is still in grade school. :rolleyes: Any decent parent would put their foot down and say NO! I feel sorry for that little girl. Maybe one of the teachers will take her aside and explain this to her.

tracyb
08-12-2006, 05:44 PM
nope...I will not let my 10 yr old wear makeup to school....she don't even want to either....they have play makeup for home but nothing out....a little tinted lipglosses is all she puts on to go anywhere and that is only when she feels like it...lol

stresseater
08-12-2006, 06:01 PM
My ten year old is allowed to wear blush lip gloss and eyeshadow. She is a mature 10 year old and doesn't apply it to cover up but rather to enhance her facial features. A lot of girls in her 5th grade class wear it. I don't see a problem with it but I would think at 2nd grade that would be a bit much. Although mine is only 10 she is 5'2" and rather developed both physically and mentally. To each thier own. ;) :D

killbarney
08-12-2006, 06:47 PM
My daughter isn't allowed to wear make-up until she graduates high-school :D

She has a younger friend who's in pageants. Thankfully-I don't let her near her when she's "glammed up"-thankfully she's not one that puts on tooooons of make-up but I still couldn't do it. It always makes me think that some of these little kids look like mini-hookers.

My daughter, unfortunately, will probably end up wearing make-up soon. The camera requires it but thankfully, the make-up they use for little kids is very "tame". I won't allow anything else.

kyswpgrl
08-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Maybe you do not see it as an attempt to attract, but, the opposite sex does. Also, when young girls wear makeup it usually makes them appear older or anyone seeing them assume they are older. And by the way, this isn't just MY opinion.

Never said it was just your opinion. I just think it's ridiculous for someone to assume that a girl that wears makeup is automatically going to start wearing revealing clothes and having sex. Especially in the "school bathroom". :rolleyes:

tngirl
08-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Never said it was just your opinion. I just think it's ridiculous for someone to assume that a girl that wears makeup is automatically going to start wearing revealing clothes and having sex. Especially in the "school bathroom". :rolleyes:

That is not what I said.

Jolie Rouge
08-12-2006, 10:09 PM
My daughter is 8 - doesn't wear make up; won't be "allowed" until she is at least 14 - I'd prefer 16, her dad would prefer 35. She doesn't like halter tops, spaghetti straps, anything that shows her back or midrif. Her choice. I bought her a precious sun dress - the type that tye behind the neck with an open back. She refused to wear it. Won't wear a two piece swim suit. I feel so lucky. ;)

ladyfoob
08-13-2006, 10:15 AM
I was 13 when I started to wear make-up. I hardly where it now. Unless I go out or something. :)