PDA

View Full Version : Rowling to kill two characters in final Potter book - Who Do You Think ?

Jolie Rouge
06-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Two 'Potter' characters will die
24 minutes ago

LONDON - Author J.K. Rowling said two characters will die in the last installment of her boy wizard series, and she hinted Harry Potter might not survive either. "I have never been tempted to kill him off before the final because I've always planned seven books, and I want to finish on seven books," Rowling said on Monday's "Richard and Judy" television show.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, `Well, I'm gonna kill them off because that means there can be no non-author written sequels. So it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."

Rowling declined to commit herself about Harry, saying she doesn't want to receive hate mail. "The last book is not finished. But I'm well into it now. I wrote the final chapter in something like 1990, so I've known exactly how the series is going to end," she said.

Rowling said people are sometimes shocked to hear that she wrote the end of book seven before she had a publisher for the first book in the series. "The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly. One character got a reprieve. But I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die," she said. "A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras do they? They go for the main characters. Well, I do."

Rowling is the richest woman in Britain — wealthier than even the queen — with a fortune estimated by Forbes magazine last year at more than $1 billion.

Whatever she writes next, Rowling is sure of one thing: It won't be as successful as Harry Potter. "I don't think I'm ever going to have anything like Harry again. You just get one like Harry."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060626/ap_on_en_ot/britain_rowling;_ylt=AndPZF0koN1pHvU3fplEqK2s0NUE; _ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY-

Rowling to kill two in final Potter book
1 hour, 5 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - Children's author J.K. Rowling has revealed that at least two characters will die in the seventh and final installment of her bestselling Harry Potter series, but was careful not to say who.

Children and adults are expected to rush and buy the final Harry Potter novel in their tens of millions when it is complete, and if the publication of the sixth book is anything to go by, secrecy surrounding the plot will be tight.

Rowling has already said that the final chapter of the seventh book was written long ago. "The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly," she said in an interview broadcast on Monday on Britain's Channel 4. "One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die."

When asked to be more specific, she added: "No, I'm not going to commit myself, because I don't want the hate mail or anything else."

She did explain that she understood an author's desire to kill off the main character of a successful series. "I've never been tempted to kill him (Harry) off before the end of book seven, because I always planned seven books and that's where I want to go.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks 'Well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels ... so it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."

Rowling, 40, wrote the first Harry Potter adventure when she was an unemployed single mother, but has gone on to become one of the richest authors in history with a personal fortune estimated at more than $1 billion.

The Harry Potter series has sold an estimated 300 million copies worldwide.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060626/en_nm/arts_potter_plot_dc;_ylt=AoWIyfdIy03aEsmjM8QbpWZnh VID;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-

kyswpgrl
06-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Well you can't vote for more than one person in your poll. I was telling my coworker earlier it wouuld probably be both Harry and Lord Voldemort.

Kyla Kym
06-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I think it will be that main wizard guy, and that old woman teacher. Mainly because it says they die, it doesn't say they will be killed.

Or how about Harry's uncle? If he died then his wife might become more of a mother figure for Harry if her husband isn't in the picture anymore.

I don't think she will kill off the best ones because I bet she will have more sequels. Maybe she is in hopes her daughter might want to take up where she left off on writing these books someday. Just think, Harry will get married and have children, then we will be reading about his kids going to hogwarts and evil things chasing after them. LOL who knows. :p ;) :D

Jolie Rouge
06-26-2006, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=kyswpgrl]Well you can't vote for more than one person in your poll.

Tired to fix that ... sorry.

Mods - can that be adjusted ??

Jolie Rouge
06-26-2006, 03:36 PM
I think it will be that main wizard guy, and that old woman teacher. Mainly because it says they die, it doesn't say they will be killed.

Or how about Harry's uncle? If he died then his wife might become more of a mother figure for Harry if her husband isn't in the picture anymore.

I don't think so - that woman ( Harry's aunt ) had a lot of unresolved issues regarding her sister that she projected onto Harry. She was a mean one - she and her hubby should get run over by that bus.

If you mean Dumbledore - he died at the end of Book Six (- or so we think ??) I could see Prof Mogonagall going down to the bitter end to defend her students and her friends.

I think Harry and Voldemort - ""A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil here."

Willow
06-26-2006, 06:47 PM
I just clicked on edit poll to see if there was a way of allowing two choices but I didn't see that option. Sorry. :(

Jolie Rouge
06-26-2006, 07:24 PM
I just clicked on edit poll to see if there was a way of allowing two choices but I didn't see that option. Sorry. :(

Darn. Thanks for trying, anyway.

I guess it should go : "Who do you think is most likely to be one of the unfortunate ?"

Bubblescc
06-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Well if I had to choose I would go with jenny I guess. I hate to see any of them go! :(

dv8grl
06-26-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't even want to think about it!
It makes me crazy!
After book 6, I'm still in shock! I can not believe that Dumbledore is dead & I'm positive that Snape did not do it, if anything it was a ploy to make Voldemort think that.

If anything I could see Prof. Mogonagall and or Hagrid going down in order to protect Hogwarts.

I do believe that Harry will die, if Voldemort dies, so will Harry.

Neville is another one who may go die, that would probably be my 1st pick.

Jolie Rouge
06-26-2006, 09:16 PM
I didn't think about Neville, they have a great backstory for him. I may have to add him to the poll ..... if I can figure out how !

kyswpgrl
06-27-2006, 06:57 AM

As already mentioned, Dumbledore was killed at the end of book 6. I really don't see anything happening between Harry and his "family" as they never wanted to take him in their home in the first place. His aunt holds a lot of resentment towards his mother because she was not born with any powers.

Donnagg123
06-27-2006, 08:12 AM
well if you think about it, she said that 3 main characters was originally supposed to die and one got a reprieve. Therefore I think maybe it was originally either supposed to be:

harry, ron, and hermione and either ron or hermione survive. OR

dumbledore harry and voldemort and maybe dumbledore comes back because of harry sacrificing himself or something of that nature.

Really, though, it depends on who you see as main characters. Voldemort (although talked about a lot) really is not actually in the books a whole lot, so I am not 100% sure if that makes him a main character per se. I believe Malfoy is more of a main character than Voldemort (You could add him Jolie ;)), but really he is more of an antagonist than a protagonist. Really, in my mind, the only true main characters were harry, ron, and hermione. BUT that is JMHO ;):)

kyswpgrl
06-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Really, though, it depends on who you see as main characters. Voldemort (although talked about a lot) really is not actually in the books a whole lot, so I am not 100% sure if that makes him a main character per se. I believe Malfoy is more of a main character than Voldemort (You could add him Jolie ;)), but really he is more of an antagonist than a protagonist. Really, in my mind, the only true main characters were harry, ron, and hermione. BUT that is JMHO ;):)

I guess everyone has their own opinion, but how can you not see Voldemort as a main character? I mean these books pretty much revolve around the connection between Harry and Voldemort. Plus there is more about him in the books than there is in the movies.

Donnagg123
06-27-2006, 09:56 AM
I guess everyone has their own opinion, but how can you not see Voldemort as a main character? I mean these books pretty much revolve around the connection between Harry and Voldemort. Plus there is more about him in the books than there is in the movies.

I know all about the books. I have read all the books. Think about it. They talk about Voldemort (especially in the beginning books) more than you see him. I believe the books are more about Harry coming into his own and his relationships with others rather than strictly the relationship between him and Voldemort. Voldemort is like a semi-main character than a true main character.

kyswpgrl
06-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Sorry, I wasn't implying you hadn't read the books. I am also well aware the books are not "strictly the relationship between him and Voldemort". However, I still feel that Voldemort is a main character. To each their own.

Donnagg123
06-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Sorry, I wasn't implying you hadn't read the books. I am also well aware the books are not "strictly the relationship between him and Voldemort". However, I still feel that Voldemort is a main character. To each their own.
That's cool. :)