PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with a bunch of shells?

Coconut
06-20-2006, 09:41 PM
i bought a huge box full of sea shells at an estate sale today (mostly for the containers they were in). now put your thinking caps on and help me figure out what i can make with them! thank you!

cheapskate21
06-20-2006, 10:01 PM
go to the beachLOL

dixiechicken
06-20-2006, 10:14 PM
go to the beachLOL
LMAO

DBackFan
06-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Buy some dollar store wooden picture frames. Glue the shells around the edges and you have created the cutest and most unique pic frame! I have these all over my house now and I always get asked where I got them. :) I have also made sand decorations and scattered in my flower beds.

JKATHERINE
06-21-2006, 05:09 AM
Building on that idea...I've also seen some BEAUTIFUL oval and rectangle-shaped mirrors that have borders that have been covered in sea shells. Pretty easy to do, too. There are great, strong glues at the craft dept. of stores like Walmart or Joann.

dlwt
06-21-2006, 05:35 AM
I have always wanted to do one of those big oval hang on the wall mirrors and put ********s around it, just massive shells, those are very spendy in shops. Good luck.
You could even make your own zen garden with a bit of sand, some shells and look for other stuff in dollar store

catssass
06-21-2006, 06:36 AM
I have seen shells glued to small lamp shades or the bases.. you could go to Joann or Michaels and get a couple of paper mache boxes and glue to the tops and make little trinket boxes

bulldog6186
06-21-2006, 06:37 AM
First thing I thought of was a sea shell wind chime. :)

azrocky
06-21-2006, 09:15 AM
I have used sea shells to make candles, they are great for outside around your pool area or patio area.
Have fun

peanut92973
06-21-2006, 09:19 AM
you can also put them on grapevine wreaths and a bow and you have it.

dv8grl
06-21-2006, 09:22 AM
The guy who owned our house was a "artist" and he glued shells around the bottom and top of my bathroom walls. It looks nice, but its not my style.

justinenycole26
06-21-2006, 12:10 PM
At Wal-mart, you can buy a clear glass lamp base with a removable bottom that you can fill with whatever you like. I have a friend who used one of those and filled it with shells and a string of Christmas lights. The way she had it arranged, you could not see the string the lights were on, just the lights twinking between the shells. It was very pretty.

cathych
06-21-2006, 12:42 PM
I have seen those same jars sold in stores, & once they are filled with shells, they really go for a fortune.

wyrmslyph
06-21-2006, 10:56 PM
kids crafts. treasure boxes made from kitchen sized matchboxes accented with shells and pretty paper. Or perhaps, utilize a clear bottle (water): fill 1/2 with blue dyed water and 1/2 baby oil. Add some shells and maybe a little sand. You then have an ocean in a bottle that the kids can play with and watch the 'waves' roll.

Kyla Kym
06-22-2006, 12:33 AM
My mother got a platter and staggered 3 pillar candles on it. Then at the bottom she filled the platter with sea shells she got at my store. I have these baskets that are sealed off and they have sea shells in them along with things like dried orange star fish. She laid the star fish here and there ontop of the shells and it made for a beautiful contrast. Her candle display turned out to be beautiful. Seems like she even had some sand in the platter as well.

jerseybarb
06-24-2006, 02:07 PM
With the larger clam shell types you can paint stuff like lighthouses on them

Lighthouses are easy as they are just triangles with the top cut off and the light part of it is just straight up from that

You can make angels from them too

jerseybarb
06-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Heres some links on crafts made with shells

]

Heres a pic of a shell angel

http://www.theshellstore.com/craftidea.htm

Heres more links

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/********s/a/blshellbutter.htm

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/downbythesea/a/blbeachwreath.htm

http://familycrafts.about.com/library/projects/blchshellorn.htm