PDA

View Full Version : Survey says 24 percent between 18-50 tattooed : ARE YOU ?

Jolie Rouge
06-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Survey: 24 percent between 18-50 tattooed
By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A sun shines on Dan Yu's back, alongside a swimming koi fish. A tree soon may grow on his arm. "Your body's an empty canvas, so you almost want to continue to add to it," said Yu, 28, as he showed off his tattoos.

A generation or two ago, Yu's tattoos — to say nothing of his pierced nose — probably would have placed him in a select company of soldiers, sailors, bikers and carnival workers. But no longer: The American University employee is among about 36 percent of Americans age 18 to 29 with at least one tattoo, according to a survey.

The study, scheduled to appear Monday on the Web site of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, provides perhaps the most in-depth look at tattoos since their popularity exploded in the early 1990s.

The results suggest that 24 percent of Americans between 18 and 50 are tattooed; that's almost one in four. Two surveys from 2003 suggested just 15 percent to 16 percent of U.S. adults had a tattoo. "Really, nowadays, the people who don't have them are becoming the unique ones," said Chris Keaton, a tattoo artist and president of the Baltimore Tattoo Museum.

But body art is more than just tattoos.

About one in seven people surveyed reported having a piercing anywhere other than in the soft lobe of the ear, according to the study. That total rises to nearly one in three for the 18-to-29 set. Just about half — 48 percent — in that age category had either a tattoo or piercing.

Given their youth, that suggests the percentage of people with body art will continue to grow, said study co-author Dr. Anne Laumann, a Northwestern University dermatologist. "They haven't had time to get their body piercing. They haven't had time to get their tattoo. They are just beginning to get into it and the number is already big," Laumann said.

So why has body art become so popular?

Laumann and others believe it allows people to broadcast to the world what they are all about. Others call it sign of rebellion or a rite of passage. The survey found nearly three-fourths of the pierced and nearly two-thirds of the tattooed made the leap before 24.

"It's a very easy way to express something that you think represents part of your identity — that you don't have to tell someone but you can just have seen," said Chelsea Farrell, 21, an American University senior from Albany, N.Y. Farrell has a tattooed fish on each hip and a Celtic knot on the small of her back.

The survey also found that what your mother may have told you about who has tattoos is true: People who drink, do drugs, have been jailed or forgo religion are more likely to be tattooed.

The same holds for piercings, though rates do not appear to vary with education, income or job category. In that sense, they appear to be "different animals," said Laumann, who has traditionally pierced ears but no tattoos.

One obvious difference is that piercings can be easily removed, unlike tattoos. "I guess I liked the way they looked and the rush of getting them pierced, as well as them not being permanent. I can take them out and the holes will close up," said Simah Waddell, 21, of Rochester, N.Y., of her pierced nose, tongue, belly button and ears.

Waddell, who is entering her senior year at American University, said she suffered no side effects, other than the anger of her parents. The survey suggests that is not always the case for others with piercing. Nearly one in four reported medical problems, including skin infections. Among those with mouth or tongue piercings, an equal proportion reported chipped or broken teeth.

For tattoos, 13 percent of respondents had problems with healing. Generally, the Food and Drug Administration receives few reports of complications from tattoos.

The industry is regulated by state and local officials, but not the FDA, and there is no such thing as an agency-approved tattoo pigment or ink. The FDA is considering more involvement, said Dr. Linda Katz, director of agency's Office of Cosmetics and Colors.

"If you look at the fact that a quarter of adults have a tattoo, it's amazing how safe the industry is," said Dr. R. Rox Anderson, a Harvard Medical School dermatologist and tattoo removal expert. None of the survey respondents had ever had a tattoo removed, though 17 percent had considered it.

Freedom-2 LLC, a Philadelphia company co-founded by Anderson, hopes to launch the first of two lines of not-so-permanent tattoo inks next year, though without FDA approval.

To create the ink, pigments would be encapsulated in a polymer and the microcapsules injected into the skin. A tattoo would be permanent only as long as its wearer wanted it to be.

It would only take a few pulses of a laser to break open the capsules and release the ink into the body to be safely absorbed, said Martin Schmieg, the company's president and chief executive officer.

A second ink, to be available in 2008, would rely on the same technology, except the capsules would dissolve on their own. Depending on the version, the tattoos would naturally vanish after six months, 12 months or 24 months.

"It will be like wearing a tattoo like it's jewelry, where you will be able to take it off. It will just fade on its own," Schmieg said.

The telephone survey on tattoos included 253 women and 247 men and was conducted in 2004. It has a margin of error of 4.5 percentage points.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060611/ap_on_re_us/tattoo_nation;_ylt=Aq1EMCyz9jo4jQryt2tv3WlH2ocA;_y lu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

Associated Press writer Chhayal Parikh contributed to this report.

___

On the Net:

American Academy of Dermatology: http://www.aad.org/

FDA tattoo information: http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/tattoos.html

Jolie Rouge
06-10-2006, 10:10 PM
I have three piercings in one ear - four in the other. When I did this in the early 80's it was considered rather extreme here LOL I have always wanted a tatoo, but haven't gotten the nerve. I donate blood on a regular basis ( O- ) and if I indulged in a tat I would not be able to donate for quite a while. ( That's my story and I am sticking to it )

TxGreek
06-11-2006, 12:47 AM
I had my nipple, eyebrow, tongue, belly button, ears and cartilage pierced until I got pregnant.
I decided to tone it down some and took out the nipple ring and eyebrow ring.
I looooove my piercings because (aside from the ears/cartilage) I'm the only one who can see them. I can express myself and still look professional at the same time.

I don't have any tattoos, but am thinking about getting one this winter (also semi-hidden). My bf is going to draw something that ties in my son and grandpa.

I think the stigma around tattoos and piercings is still there. I look at people differently when they have rings hanging out of every hole in their face. I know it's wrong of me to do it (especially since I'm pierced), but I think it's hard to take someone seriously when they don't have the typical professional look.

cstarlight
06-11-2006, 04:23 AM
My ears are double pierced, & my navel is too! I also have 3 tattoos all in go taste and in areas that are very eaisly covered. :D

tsquared
06-11-2006, 05:46 AM
No piercings or tatoos for me........i never really got into putting either on my body........
but i think it is cool if you have them as long as they are in good taste

Eyore
06-11-2006, 07:30 AM
I have one hole in each lobe of my ear.

buttrfli
06-11-2006, 07:45 AM
I'm tattoo'd .. and will keep on getting them if I have the money lol

kyswpgrl
06-11-2006, 07:55 AM
My ears are pierced and I got 2 tattoos in 2000 when I was 22 years old. My dh has one tattoo himself and we wouldn't mind getting at least one more...just haven't found anything I'd want yet.

moogle
06-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Got a tattoo when I was 32 - I'm 46 now, and I still want a couple more.
Only piercings are my ears....I have 2 holes in both ears. The second hole went through cartilage, and it hurt, so no more piercings for me!

DAVESBABYDOLL
06-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Pierced and tattoo'd here :)

caides_mom
06-11-2006, 03:53 PM
I HAD MY NAVEL, TONGUE AND EARS DOME BUT NOW ALL I HAVE IS THE SCARS :rolleyes:

Blackerose
06-11-2006, 05:37 PM
My ears are double pierced. I have 2 tattoos; 1 on my left upper arm. The other is on my right lower arm which is visible all the time. If I need to cover it, I wear long sleeves or I use Dermablend. I did them both years ago when I was in my 30's.

Blondiex46
06-11-2006, 05:43 PM
I am 52 does that count. I have my BB pierced and 2 in my left ear and 7 in my right ear plus the cartlidge and 3 tattoo. The BB was for my 51 b/d and the cart. I just had done. Also, I am getting another tattoo on my ankle of the initials of my children and grandchildren around like a bracelet.

Bubblescc
06-11-2006, 05:54 PM
My ears and nose are pierced. I always wanted a tattoo but I havent got around to it yet..lol

softballma
06-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Just browsing this web site as I am new here and thought I would jump in on the poll. I have 2 lobe piercings and 1 cartilage piercing in both ears and my tongue is pierced. I also have a tigger tattoo on my right ankle. I would like to get one more tattoo on the other ankle and it is going to be a sunflower band/anklet with my 4 childrens name above it. Maybe a belly button piercing in the future as well.
What a fun way to jump in on the boards and hope to meet lots of wonderful people here. :)

buttrfli
06-12-2006, 05:27 AM
I want to get my tongue pierced, but I am such a baby.... I cry when I used to bite it! LOL

Welcome to BBS softballma :)

dv8grl
06-12-2006, 07:52 AM
I've got 12 tatts, but I haven't gotten any in over 11 yrs. My 1st I got when was 15, before it was cool, before it was hip. When a tattoo was original, now its mainstream, if I could get them removed for free & no pain, I would..I don't regret them, I like them, but I hate being like everyone else, X-pecailly when Im at the store and some fool comes up to me, comments on my tatt, then goes on to show me their tribal, butterfly, ot Tweetie Bird tatt. I don't care about your tatt!

If I had the money right now, I'd invest in laser removal equipment, becasue 10 yrs form now, all these kids who are covered right now are gonna want their tatts removed & I'll cash in!

Out2Lunch
06-12-2006, 09:02 AM
I've got my ears and nose pierced. Kinda shocked the family with the nose, but I LOVE it!!! I want a tattoo, but I am very picky and just havent seen anything I want to see the rest of my life...lol;)

Vee030473
06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
I am pierced ( tongue and labret ) and 5 tattoos,all hidden(cept ankle) when Im clothed. I HAD my nose pierced as well as my eyebrow.My ears are pierced but I think those are pretty traditional piercings more so than other piercings. None of it hurt to me,and my tongue was swollen for the day after and that was it. I've went from a 14 gauge to 10 gauge tongue piercing and my labret is a 14 gauge.I've had my tongue pierced for about 5 years now,I can take it out for weeks at a time and it has yet to close. My labret I have had for 3 years,that one I cant take out and leave out. But I love them all,they dont make me different,they make me ME ! :D

MsLynn
06-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I have one hole in each lobe of my ear.

ditto

Bubblescc
06-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Just browsing this web site as I am new here and thought I would jump in on the poll. I have 2 lobe piercings and 1 cartilage piercing in both ears and my tongue is pierced. I also have a tigger tattoo on my right ankle. I would like to get one more tattoo on the other ankle and it is going to be a sunflower band/anklet with my 4 childrens name above it. Maybe a belly button piercing in the future as well.
What a fun way to jump in on the boards and hope to meet lots of wonderful people here. :)

Welcome to BigBig Softballma! I have been thinking about a belly button ring to just dont know when,lol :D

ajksmom
06-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Both ears are pierced twice, cartlidge was but got tired of it still hurting after a year and let it grow back. I have 3 cute tattoos, one is a heart with flames, one is an anklet of ribbons and roses and my 3 childrens initials...soon to be their names and one is a water lilly floating down a pool of water with clouds over top.

Tobius
06-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Pierced, but don't care for tatoos at all. On me or hubby. That is.
They're cool to look at.

AustMC
06-16-2006, 10:21 AM
1 tattoo. thats all

gothgirl
06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
I have 2 tattoos

lassss
06-16-2006, 11:07 AM
I have both ears double pierced and 4 tats

a gemini sign on my left ankle
a BDSM symbol on my right ankle
a lower back piece of peacock feathers around a gem
and a snake below my bikini line ;)

scrappydoo
06-16-2006, 08:32 PM
2 pierced ears and 3 tatoos

YNKYH8R
06-17-2006, 06:11 AM
8 tats. no piercings.

msginna
06-18-2006, 05:13 PM
just one tat

zariah130
06-18-2006, 06:57 PM
i am tattooed and pierced. i have 8 tattoos and my nipples ears and my hood pierced. my tattoos are not tacky because they can be hidden for the most part. they are extremly additive though. will have to stop soon. :D