PDA

View Full Version : Cockateil male is picking female

Nanc952
05-08-2006, 08:12 AM
My cockateils are laying eggs but the male now is picking the female head almost got her bald. What can I do to get him to stop.
This isn't normal is it?

sdb_ngc
05-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Sounds like he has become aggressive. I would separate them.

mnvdriver
05-08-2006, 11:31 AM
You may want to try spraying him with water.

ang in NC
05-08-2006, 12:24 PM
I always wonder about this... old boyfriend used to do it to me. lol

ang in NC
05-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm just joking.

Aloha from paradise
05-08-2006, 12:33 PM

I agree. Put him in another cage .

Nanc952
05-08-2006, 04:44 PM
I may have to but they are mated and have 3 eggs and starting to set. Would be too hard on her to do all the setting. This is their first family
But don't want to loose either one of them.
Is there something that anyone knows that could be put on her to make him quit picking on her.

Vixen
05-08-2006, 07:31 PM
I found this HTH

who doesn't have access to the Internet has asked me to do some research on cockatiels for him. He has a pair of birds in a large aviary and they have been OK for ages, but now that the female has started to lay, the male is trying to kill the female and they have had to separate the birds.

Dear Sender,

Unfortunately, sometimes a pair of birds may not be compatible, or a cock bird may get too aggressive, as it sounds like this one is. Usually the best thing to do is not try to breed with this bird again. Perhaps your friend can get a new male to go with the hen. If they want to learn more about cockatiels and breeding, they may want to consider joining a club to learn all they need to know.

Top page

Quaker_Parrots
05-09-2006, 03:15 AM

I agree. Are you trying to breed them? If not, I would definately seprate them. Laying too many eggs is not good for the female. If you are trying to get babies, they should only be allowed to have 2 clutches a year. Be sure to offer minerals and a cuttle bone for the female. Also, do you have a nest box?

Honestly though, if you are trying to have babies, I would go with another male. If he is doing this to the hen, he will more than likely do it to the babies too.

***Edited to add: I raised tiels for awhile, andnoticed you said they are mated. I can tell you from experience that they don't mate for life. I would keep a close eye on them and if it continues you may have to pull the male and hand feed the babies when they hatch. There is a bitter apple spary you can get for plucking, but I would be very careful trying to put it on the females head, especially around the eyes. Also, with her laying eggs, you really don't want to handle her as you you injure her, and if the male is agressive towards her, just wait till you try to get her out to apply anything to her head. If you want you can PM me here, and I will give you any help you need.

Nanc952
05-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Yes am trying to have babies, but guess he is not the right male for the job.
I do have mineral block and cutter bone for them plus good cockateil feed.
They do have the eggs in nest box. Which he is sitting on, they do take turns.
They got along find till she started laying and now he is picking her. But they seem to like each other as hold thier head close and do the birdy talk.
So not sure what his problem is.
I do not want to hurt her in anyway, guess will have to break the eggs and find her a new mate. Hate to do it but if she has to do all the sitting it would be too much for one????
Wonder if he would do another female the same way?????

Quaker_Parrots
05-09-2006, 12:05 PM
It would be too much for her, because once they hatch, unless you plan to hand feed, she would have to feed them by herself as well. If you are planning to handfeed anyway, why not invest in an incubator, and hatch them yourself? You can actually make your own with a rubbermaid tub and a shop light. I had to pull on of my eggs (it was cracked, and I had to repair it a week before hatching) and was able to save the baby. Here are some links to help you make your own incubator and brooder:

incubator: http://members.cox.net/lovetiels/incubator.html

brooder:http://members.cox.net/lovetiels/brooder.html

handfeeding instructions: http://www.lafeber.com/Products/feeding_instructions.asp

Good site on breeding(scroll all the way to the bottom, good info links there):http://www.cockatielcottage.net/breeding.html