PDA

View Full Version : Gospel of Judas?!? What the?

MnMLover
05-03-2006, 12:55 AM
I've gone over it a few times.There's a site that translates it as accurately as possible I guess.With all the lines missing.What does everyone think of it? I'm not real sure what to make of it at all.Just looking for diverse opinions.Might make it easier to understand and wrap my head around it.

tngirl
05-03-2006, 05:40 AM
What website are you talking about? I heard a bit about this on the news.

Cessie
05-03-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't know why this is a big deal now. They've had the manuscripts for over 30 years. I guess because they've recently been authenticated.

Info about the entire project

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/about.html

The translation without graphics (you need Adobe)

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/_pdf/GospelofJudas.pdf

You can also download the Coptic text from NG site

janelle
05-04-2006, 12:25 AM
This gospel was studied and dismissed in the early years of Chirstianity, like the 3rd century. There were many false gospels. This is just one of them.

Donnagg123
05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
This gospel was studied and dismissed in the early years of Chirstianity, like the 3rd century. There were many false gospels. This is just one of them.
Out of curiosity, what makes a gospel false?

YNKYH8R
05-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Out of curiosity, what makes a gospel false?
She doesn't know.

Vee030473
05-09-2006, 06:51 PM
"Either adding to or taking away from the Bible results in a false gospel. No false gospel can save the soul, no matter how holy it appears to be. False gospels always lead to the eternal damnation of Hell. A Christian has to be in the Word daily and we have to have our minds renewed daily in the Word of God and we have to be a member of a healthy well balanced Christian Church so that we can grow and help brothers and sisters in the Lord and also have fellowship with the body of Christ... or so it reads. "

tngirl
05-09-2006, 10:54 PM
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/115/43.0.html

The idea that Judas was Jesus' key disciple fits what Irenaeus hinted at when he attributed this work to Cainite Gnostics in A.D. 180, a point that shows that we have known about this gospel for 1,800 years! It is not so new after all. The Cainite Gnostics regularly rehabilitated questionable characters in the Bible, such as Cain, its first murderer, Korah, Esau, and the Sodomites. Giving a prominent role to Judas runs against the deep and consistent picture of the Gospels, our earliest historical texts about Jesus, which portray Peter consistently as the lead disciple. He is always first in the list of the Twelve. It also ignores a key role for John as another disciple very close to Jesus.

The description of Judas also runs against the tradition in Scripture that he was disturbed by his actions, so much so that he threw money back to the leaders who rewarded him for his betrayal. He committed suicide according to Matthew and met an ignominious end according to Acts. If Jesus had promised him exaltation and commanded him to betray him, then there was no need for Judas to take the leap to suicide

In sum, there is nothing here historically about Jesus or Judas that cries for any need for redefinition. This gospel is a precious find in that it gives us great detail about what this Gnostic group believed at a point before A.D. 180. However, that is all it tells us.

So, in other words, this is a false gospel.