PDA

View Full Version : If there was any doubt of a Death Penalty - this case certainly calls for it...

Jolie Rouge
04-15-2006, 08:20 PM
:mad: If there was any doubt of a Death Penalty - this case certainly calls for it.... :mad:

Police: Saw Marks Found on Slain Girl
By SEAN MURPHY, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 8 minutes ago

PURCELL, Okla. - A slain 10-year-old girl's body was found with deep saw marks on her neck, said authorities who alleged Saturday that her killer had planned to dismember her and eat the flesh.

The family of Jamie Rose Bolin was in shock, not only with the news of her slaying but with the fact that the suspect is her downstairs neighbor.

Kevin Ray Underwood, 26, was arrested Friday after investigators found Jamie's body in the closet of a bedroom in his apartment, authorities said. The girl's unclothed body was inside a large plastic tub, along with a towel used to soak up blood, officials said.

Purcell police Chief David Tompkins said investigators think the killer hit her several times with a wooden cutting board, then placed his hand and duct tape over her mouth to suffocate her. She was sexually assaulted after she died, officials said.

Tompkins and McClain County District Attorney Tim Kuykendall released the gruesome details about the final moments of Jamie's life and what they alleged were Underwood's plans for her body, but they would not say whether Underwood had confessed to the slaying.

Kuykendall said that Underwood said he began fantasizing about eating someone a year ago. The prosecutor added that authorities believe "that while she was ultimately chosen to be the victim of this horrific crime, that other people had been targeted and considered," including a a woman and a 5-year-old boy.

A preliminary autopsy report said the girl died from blunt force trauma to the head and asphyxiation. "Regarding a potential motive, this appears to have been part of a plan to kidnap a person, rape them, torture them, kill them, cut off their head, drain the body of blood, rape the corpse, eat the corpse, then dispose of the organs and bones," the police chief said.

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation agents seized a decorative dagger, a hack saw, duct tape, meat tenderizer, barbecue skewers, a duffel bag, the cutting board, a computer, and a videotape about a serial killer, Tompkins said.

Police think Jamie died Wednesday, the day she was last seen at the library in Purcell, about 20 miles south of Oklahoma City. She was reported missing that night. "Jamie was in the apartment below us the whole time," said Rose Fox, Jamie's grandmother. "The only reason that he couldn't move the body and hide it was because somebody was out there the whole time, either on the balcony smoking or standing in front of the apartment.

Authorities said they became suspicious of Underwood when he pulled up to a check point set up near the apartment complex two days after the girl was reported missing. "He was an occupant of a vehicle. He just wasn't acting right," said Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper Kera Philippi. "From there, they talked to him and the FBI took him into questioning."

Underwood was being held Saturday in the McClain County Jail on a complaint of first-degree murder, a jail official said.

The district attorney called Jamie's killing one of the most "heinous and atrocious" crimes he'd seen in his career as a prosecutor. He said he planned to file first-degree murder charges against Underwood on Monday and would seek the death penalty. "This does not appear to be a spur-of-the-moment crime of opportunity but a well-thought-out, premeditated act with months of planning and preparation," Kuykendall said.

Tompkins said Underwood had no apparent criminal record. He also said it wasn't known whether Underwood had a history of mental illness, but he expects mental competency to be an issue at trial.

It was not immediately known whether Underwood had a lawyer.

The manager of the apartment complex, Tim Bayer, told The Oklahoman that Underwood liked to stand outside his apartment and watch children play. He said Underwood didn't have a car of his own and that he kept his apartment clean.

Jamie lived upstairs in an apartment with her father, Curtis Bolin, an auto mechanic, her grandmother said. Jamie's mother, Jenny, is a truck driver in Oklahoma City. The couple separated several years ago, Fox said.

Fox said the family is distraught, especially the child's father, who remained under sedation. "His whole life revolved around Jamie," Fox said. "He didn't go out and party. He didn't drink or smoke. This has probably destroyed him."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060416/ap_on_re_us/missing_girl;_ylt=Arc3QKtz9DqE4WN_.QaeW55H2ocA;_yl u=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

gmyers
04-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Thats really sad. It's scary to think someone like that could be your neighbor. Watching your family every day and planning something like that. I really feel for her family and that poor little girl.

TexasGal
04-15-2006, 08:45 PM
OMG how horrible. Those poor parents. :( I have to disagree with you Jolie...not that I think he doesn't deserve to die, I do. I just think he deserves far worse. :mad:

Bubblescc
04-15-2006, 09:31 PM
I agree Jolie! how horrible this makes youphysically ill just reading it. I cant imagine what the parents are going through OMGosh!. I cant believe they let anyone that hurts a child live! I mean lets be honest are any of these men or woman really going change? Our system makes no sense at all.....

delSol
04-15-2006, 09:56 PM
sometimes there is no choice - death!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how sad

katencody
04-15-2006, 10:00 PM
How sad! How utterly disgusting! They need to kill him and then throw him to a pack of wolves!

Bliss
04-15-2006, 10:00 PM
He'll get the Death Penalty all right. He's not going to be sitting in prison for 20 yrs.

I'll give him a month max of survival in prison. This is if they place him among other prisoners. More than likely they'll have him in confinement until people forget about the story.

BeanieLuvR
04-15-2006, 10:11 PM
That is the most horrifying thing that I have ever read. It made me sick. I hope that he is put with the other prisoners. Let him get what he deserves. I am praying for the little girl's family. Her poor father. :( I can't imagine having to live with the knowledge of how his child died.

Quaker_Parrots
04-16-2006, 03:47 AM
:mad: If there was any doubt of a Death Penalty - this case certainly calls for it.... :mad:
Police think Jamie died Wednesday, the day she was last seen at the library in Purcell, about 20 miles south of Oklahoma City. She was reported missing that night. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060416/ap_on_re_us/missing_girl;_ylt=Arc3QKtz9DqE4WN_.QaeW55H2ocA;_yl u=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

Why was a 10yo girl at the library by herself?

I think this guy deserves the same treatment he gave this poor girl, but longer drawn out. I bet he ends up like Jeffery Dahmer.

hblueeyes
04-16-2006, 04:06 AM
When my boys were little the only place they could go without a buddy was the Library. It was a straight shot to the next corner from our house. I could watch them make it to the parking lot and within 2 minutes I got a call that they were there. I would then get a call that they were on their way home so I would go out and watch them make it back. It helped that my sis worked there and everyone knew my boys and the staff was very accommadating. They did this for everyone, letting kids use the phone to say they made it or were on their way.

Me :p

Freebeemom
04-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Why was a 10yo girl at the library by herself?

I think this guy deserves the same treatment he gave this poor girl, but longer drawn out. I bet he ends up like Jeffery Dahmer.

You would be surprised how many parents leave their children at the library alone. I am on our library board and just raised the age from 6 to 9 to being left alone at the library. There are parents that work...and when there is a 1/2 day from school or none at all, they drop their child and go to work on the train. These kids then have no lunch/food for the whole day.

Words cannot describe how horriable I feel for this father. I cannot imagine what this would do to me or my husband if this happened. The guilt would kill me. Found in the apartment below him...my god...that poor poor girl.

hblueeyes
04-16-2006, 06:59 AM
True. My sis complains all the time about little kids as young as 4 being dropped off and left all day as if the library personnal were babysitters. Some parents have fits when they tell them they cannot leave their children there unattended. 20 miles away from home is too far for my comfort but that still does not give anyone the right to do what was done.

I too would not fair well as a parent under these circumstances either. How does one find the will to go on. I hope these parents get some help and this is a case where death is too easy. Let the people "have at him" then put him in the general population after all the other inmates know his history. He will soon wish for death. I'd rather my tax dollars pay for him to be bullied,to put it mildly, then to spend millions on automatic appeals and being alone for his 20 year wait to be put to death.

Me :p

Freebeemom
04-16-2006, 08:41 AM
I am curious as to how this girl got to the library...maybe she was with friends! Ugh...this just haunts me.

Quaker_Parrots
04-16-2006, 09:30 AM
I read another news story that said the night before she had gone downstairs to use the payphone to order a pizza, and he offered to let her use his phone, she declined because she said she was told not to go into strangers homes, ends up, his phone was where the pizza was ordered from, I guess he gained her confidence before he grabbed he the next day. I also read another news story where this little girl was having sexual conversations with someone on the internet before all of this happened. I feel sorry for the family, but it makes me kind of wonder how much attention the Daddy actually gave to her for her to have that much freedom. My son will be 9 shortly, ad he isn't even allowed to go next door, let alone allowed to roam the streets.

I have had another talk with my kids this morning about the danger of strangers and even people you know. I told them I didn't care if it was my brother, unless they hear from mouth, they are not to go with anyone. PERIOD.

ang in NC
04-16-2006, 05:05 PM
I would love to volunteer to pull the switch or shoot the gun at him. I am not a death penalty supporter but in this case I think he needs it fast!

alwyznatiz
04-17-2006, 05:26 AM
The death penalty is too lenient for someone like this. I mean, sitting on death row for 10 to 15 years with three squares a day, one hour of exercise, frequent visits from his attorney to discuss appeals; all paid for by taxpayers. Nope, I say we oughta save ourselves some money and exercise a little pioneer justice.

And maybe somebody will do just that to him in prison....

LuvBigRip
04-17-2006, 07:21 AM
This evil being needs to be fed to the general population of the prison system with a note pinned to him detailing his crime. Let them take care of justice. They could give him the punishment he deserves far better than our justice system.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - In his online diary, Kevin Ray Underwood scattered posts about depression, isolation and homicidal thoughts among the entries about computer games, family get-togethers and small-town angst.

Authorities believe these are indications of a darker side to the 26-year-old grocery store stocker from Purcell who police say acted on those feelings last week and lured 10-year-old neighbor Jamie Rose Bolin into his apartment where he allegedly beat her over the head with a wooden cutting board and suffocated her with his hands and duct tape.

McClain County District Attorney Tim Kuykendall said formal charges of first-degree murder would be filed Monday in Purcell, a small town about 40 miles south of Oklahoma City.

Purcell Police Chief David Tompkins said investigators believe Underwood sexually assaulted the little girl after he killed her and planned to eat the corpse.

According to a police affidavit, Underwood confessed to killing Jamie. Meat tenderizer and barbecue skewers found in his apartment were intended for the little girl, Kuykendall said.

People who knew Underwood described him Sunday as a quiet, "boring" and seemingly trustworthy young man. His mother, who also lives in Purcell, called him a "wonderful boy."

"This is something that I don't know where it came from," Connie Underwood said through tears in a brief telephone interview Sunday with The Associated Press. "He was always a wonderful boy.

"I would like to be able to tell her family how sorry we are. I just feel so terrible."

On his blog, an online diary that he had kept since September 2002, Underwood described himself as "single, bored, and lonely, but other than that, pretty happy."

In an entry from January, Underwood said he was embarrassed about how many gifts his mother bought him at Christmas and how his father was proud of him for helping him assemble a computer desk for his sister.

Underwood, who used the screen name "SubSpecies 23," mentions cannibalism in a separate post, asking "If you were a cannibal, what would you wear to dinner?" and responding: "The skin of last night's main course."

In an entry dated Feb. 4, 2006, Underwood wrote that he struggled with depression and social interaction.

"Pretty much the only time I believe in God is when I blame him for something," he said. "Or, when I'm really depressed, to cry and beg him to make me better, to make whatever is wrong in my brain go away, so that I can live like a normal person.

"That's all I want in life, is to be able to live like a normal person."

In September 2004, he wrote that his depression deepened after several months without taking the medication Lexapro, an antidepressant also used in the treatment of anxiety disorders.

"For example, my fantasies are just getting weirder and weirder. Dangerously weird," he wrote. "If people knew the kinds of things I think about anymore, I'd probably be locked away. No probably about it, I know I would be."

Underwood worked for nearly seven years at a Carl's Jr. restaurant, where shift leader Bill Verdan described him as a quiet person who kept to himself. "He did a good job," Verdan said.

However, he said Underwood, who quit about a year ago and was working as a stocker at a Griders Discount Foods grocery store in Oklahoma City, was a "boring" man who rarely smiled.

"Just his tone of voice, he just sounded dull," Verdan said. "Trying to get a smile out of him took an act of Congress."

Verdan said he and his wife and young daughters never suspected anything unusual.

"He gave my wife rides home from work numerous times," Verdan said. "We never felt uncomfortable. I talked to my girls after this happened, and they said they felt comfortable around him."

buttrfli
04-17-2006, 07:26 AM
They need to let him out of jail....

and let the public deal with him... death is too good for this monster.

Coke_Lover
04-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Just an FYI, he will probably never go into general population. If he get the death penelty, I know he wont. I know that people who are considered dangerous are also placed on the death row wing to isolate them from the general population..... Also molesters, kid rapiests and people of that like are not placed among the general population BECAUSE they were getting killed, it was considered inhuman to place them where they would get killed or raped themselves. Think about it, how many people there for life wanted to make the world safe for there kids? Or Dads who did other crimes wanted to keep the neighborhoods safe for kids or family, and didn't mind serving another 2 or 3 years for fighting with someone and they then died from the wounds? It is because there is a code among the prisoners that the people who prey on children should be destroyed that they are now not among general population. BELIVE ME, everyone in prison knows what you go in for, and all the details as they are available to the public. By the day after you are first there the fliers are already going around of what you are in for. I had a family member in there, and they go for these type of people. Wish I could say there was hope that he would be placed among general population but that will never happen. He will serve in a seprate part of the prison where all the other molesters are kept, unless he is placed on death-row and that is only if he does not pleed out to a lesser crime to avoid the death penelty.
SORRY.....thought you should know.

buttrfli
04-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Sorry, but they DO put people like this in general pop all the time in Oklahoma. They don't just toss them out and say "have at it" but after a certain period of time they are allowed to eat with the rest of the population and get yard time. My ex husband is in Big Mac and he gets the crap beat out of him on a regular basis :D

With any luck, they will just kill him and get it over with. Hes already confessed, so no need to keep him here wasting air.

LuvBigRip
04-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Oh, I am well aware that he will be treated with kid gloves in prison because of his crime. I just don't think that he should be afforded any more rights than he gave to that poor child. Let the hunter become the prey as far as I am concerned.

TxGreek
04-17-2006, 08:25 AM
This guy's Amazon wish list should have been some sort of clue that he wasn't "quiet and sweet."
90% of the stuff on the list was "dark." He requested books on cannibalism. It doesn't look like he was hiding much.

Also, he was talking frequently to a girl on Myspace. She lived in Cali and he was going to visit her. She ended up cancelling on him. It's possible she saved her own life.

This guy was really sick and was actually seeing doctor's. I just don't get how they missed this. I know hindsight is 20/20.

I'm so sick of people doing this to children. :mad: