PDA

View Full Version : insurance adjuster grrrrr

tljohn123
03-14-2006, 11:05 AM
We had the insurance adjuster out this morning to take a look at the van. Remember the tornado and crap he went thru the other day? Lots of hail hit the van, chipped the windshield and took out hunks of paint. Insurance adjuster basically called us a liar and said that it was NO WAY it was hail damage, obviously those were rock chips. Hello!!! I suppose we drove in the hail the other day behind a rock truck. Sweetheart is mad as heck too. We also WANT to pay this deductible! Oh yes we do! UGHHHHHH!

catssass
03-14-2006, 12:18 PM
You can dispute the adjusters decision, here's some tips...and so sorry..

http://autorepair.about.com/od/additionalinformation/a/dan_34a.htm

Johnsmom
03-14-2006, 10:34 PM
We had the insurance adjuster out this morning to take a look at the van. Remember the tornado and crap he went thru the other day? Lots of hail hit the van, chipped the windshield and took out hunks of paint. Insurance adjuster basically called us a liar and said that it was NO WAY it was hail damage, obviously those were rock chips. Hello!!! I suppose we drove in the hail the other day behind a rock truck. Sweetheart is mad as heck too. We also WANT to pay this deductible! Oh yes we do! UGHHHHHH!

The same thing happened to me after a big hail storm. They called it "road damage" from rocks hitting the car. I live in the city, I don't drive on gravel roads. I cannot imagine enough rocks hitting the car that the paint on the roof was chipped off as well as paint on the trunk. We ended up changing insurance companies after that. I hope you can get farther than we did on this.

Nanc952
03-15-2006, 03:48 AM
I am guessing all states are the same.
We could not get along with the first insurance adjuster a :eek: person.
You can refuse to work with the adjuster and demand that the insurance company sends out another adjuster they have to. (a retired insurance agent told me all of the steps. :) )
If you do not get along with the second adjuster you can turn it over to the state adjuster, but be warned you will have to take whatever the state adjuster says. For us the threat of turning it over to the state adjuster was enough to get them to fix it. (If state adjuster gets involved they tend to check the insurance company out to why they couldn't settle with customer and most companies if the main office is out of state don't want this. )
Also we quit talking to the local insurance agent and when direct to the company, also tape record all calls. Just inform them that you are recording.
Good luck.

tljohn123
03-15-2006, 08:17 AM
We're now thinking this is gonna be a battle :rolleyes:
The 'boss' called, and basically agreed with the jerk that was here yesterday. Says there was no way that could be hail damage. Was this dude even here when the storm hit?? Was he driving with him when the hail was bouncing off the van? "I'll look into this further and tell you what I decide"

Thats what he just told us!!!

I'll keep ya'll updated....

Buslady469
03-15-2006, 09:38 PM
I hate insurance companies, and everything that works with them....In August, someone had my permission to drive my car, and was in a very bad accident! I was still making payments on my car, the insurance company paid all but 3,000.00 dollars...so, it;s like I still have a car payment, and I don't even own the car anymore! Plus the comapny that we had tried to blame DH for the accident. It was a total mess.....I hope that you get it worked out!

tljohn123
03-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Well, I talked to my honey later in the day. The insurance agency WILL pay for it, and putting it as 'storm damage'. Now what the heck was so darn hard about that? This is the first time in 14 years I've EVER made a claim with this company, or any insurance company for that matter, and they made things so darn difficult. I will be shopping around that's for sure.

kyswpgrl
03-16-2006, 11:40 AM
After all the money they've made off you the last 14 years, they better pay up! I wouldn't blame you for shopping around after this though. I've never had problems with my insurance agencies before, but could be because my dad was my agent. :p I switched when I got married because dh's insurance was cheaper and thank goodness we've not had to use them yet. If you don't mind my asking, who do you currently have insurance through?

Prunella
03-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Don't be surprised if your rates go up or they drop you. :mad:

Njean31
03-16-2006, 02:01 PM
I hate insurance companies, and everything that works with them....In August, someone had my permission to drive my car, and was in a very bad accident! I was still making payments on my car, the insurance company paid all but 3,000.00 dollars...so, it;s like I still have a car payment, and I don't even own the car anymore! Plus the comapny that we had tried to blame DH for the accident. It was a total mess.....I hope that you get it worked out!

when i bought my car they offered me GAP insurance that was figured into the car payment just in case this ever happened. be sure to ask for it next time, i'd never heard of it till then. sorry that happened to you.

aneisu
03-16-2006, 03:54 PM
when i bought my car they offered me GAP insurance that was figured into the car payment just in case this ever happened. be sure to ask for it next time, i'd never heard of it till then. sorry that happened to you.

That's what I thought of when I read that. Your insurance only covers the blue book value of your vehicle. For a portion of your loan you will owe more than your vehicle is worth - GAP insurance will cover the difference. You can either pay for the extra insurance or gamble and not have it.

icequeen8455434
03-16-2006, 04:11 PM
My cousin had GAP insurance on her car. Totaled the vehicle in an accident last year, not her fault though. Guess what they have to pay? $18,000--apparently GAP insurance didn't pay a dime, and won't. :eek:

hblueeyes
03-17-2006, 07:32 AM
When I had to file a claim with my homeowners insurance due to a kitchen fire started by the dog, my insurance paid over $40K. My insurance rate went up $1. Yes, that is right, $1. My insurance was Liberty Mutual.

Me :p

icequeen8455434
03-17-2006, 07:52 AM
hblueeyes, you were very lucky!

mebuffyg
03-17-2006, 11:11 AM
I hate to admit this, but I was an adjuster for over 5 years. The company(depending who it is) should not raise your rates or drop you for a comprehensive claim. This coverage is for things like acts of nature, falling objects, etc. Things that are far beyond your control. In most cases they generally don't raise them for car accidents that you are not at fault for because even if you file through them, they get their money from the other company. Claims depts have nothing to do with rates, it is the underwriting department that does that so if they do go up on rates that is who you need to speak to.

In defense of the adjuster(please don't get mad) When there are hail storms, etc alot of people come out of the woodwork and claim that alot of old damage was cause by the storm so they get it all on one claim and only have to pay one deductible. Adjusters unfortunately get this idea in their minds (because they have to) and tend to think that everyone is doing this. In some states it is very very common for people to file fraudulent claims. I'm not saying that he was in right (I tried to treat every case separate) but they do have to be on their guard.

cpbaby
03-17-2006, 11:30 AM
When I had to file a claim with my homeowners insurance due to a kitchen fire started by the dog, my insurance paid over $40K. My insurance rate went up $1. Yes, that is right, $1. My insurance was Liberty Mutual.

OK, Im sorry, but I have to ask.........HOW did your dog start a kitchen fire?

LadyLuna81
03-17-2006, 11:31 AM
I feel you. I had minor damage compared to people close to me. A tree uprooted, placed on my dad's truck. We're by Bunn Park, it's just crazy over here.

My car now has electrical problems. Worked fine Sunday, Monday it didn't. Half the electrical stuff won't work. The body control module isn't working. That alone is going to cost me 650..and while the car place says it COULD be storm damage, they won't say it, so I'm screwed. I have no idea where I'm going to come up with the money.

Then, the house insurance won't pay for the actual value of my tree...I could claim it on taxes, but need an appraisal. Really don't know where to find someone to appraise it right now. I'm just so stressed, but lucky that my house seems to be okay.

sorry, didn't mean to hijack..Just found out about the cost of the car (could be more, if once the module is working more shows up), and am flipping.

hblueeyes
03-18-2006, 04:25 AM
How my dog started a kitchen fire:

Most of the damage was due to heat and smoke. But I left a pot of chicken soup and farina dumplings on the stove when I went to the doctors. The dog had been jumping trying to get at it and knocked the front knob which turned on the burner. When I bought a new stove I made sure the knobs had to be pushed in and turned (simoultaneously) to light. We had no clue how it happened until later in the evenong whrn the insurance lady was over and the dog was jumping and it happened again.