PDA

View Full Version : Kind of confused....a little long

Buslady469
02-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Here goes....I was driving a school bus for a district last school year....When the new school year started, I did not return because i moved. I did not call the district to let them know, so I was considered a NO CALL NO SHOW for the 1st 3 days of school.

Well after almost 6 months, I finally made a call to the Assistant Director of Transportation, apologizing for my behavior at the begining of the school year, and explained the whole situation to her. Then she asked me if I'd like to drive again, (this is not why I called, I figured that they were owed an apology for my behavior) I said that I would love to, she then told me that she needed to talk it over with the Director and she would get back to me. 2 Hours laster she calls me and tells me to come down and fill out an application, she would do the criminal background check and check my driving record, then I would have to take a physical and drug test again. No big deal right???? (I was pretty excited about that) Well, I went down filled out the application, talked to the Assistant Director, who then informed me that she was going to have to see what was in my file, and if it said anything about job abandonment, then she could not hire me again. WTF?????

So, I am a little confused....why tell me to come down and WASTE my time filling out the stupid application, when you don't even know if I can be re-hired again or not???? And I didn't even start the school year, and I moved, so how could it be job abandonment? I didn't call to say htat I was or was not returning....I'm not sure what to make of all of this.

buttrfli
02-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Maybe she didn't know when she talked to you about the "job abandonment" thing?Hopefully they won't consider what you did as abandonment and if your district is as strapped for drivers as ours is, they may hire you back anyhow..

Good luck, hope you get the job back! :D

Kyla Kym
02-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Maybe when she asked you if you wanted your job back, she was trying to figure out why you were calling. Maybe that is the reason she thought you were calling.

Sometimes you have you to spell it out to people, because you can think they will understand what you are saying and they are taking a whole different meaning out of it than you are implying. In other words, getting your wires crossed.

She might have been thinking that you were wanting to know how to go about getting your job back, and she was telling you.

Willow
02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Maybe she didn't know when she talked to you about the "job abandonment" thing

That's what I was thinking too.

PrincessArky
02-14-2006, 05:32 AM
crazy isnt it.........I hope it all works out the way that you want it to

dlwt
02-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Depending on how desperate they are for drivers, no call no show doest look good, apparently they assumed you were going to work. Hope it works out for you~~

Snooty
02-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Hmmmm....I don't know! :confused:

LitWtch
02-15-2006, 04:34 AM
The long and short of it is...
If you signed a contract, and failed to give the proper notice to terminate that contract, you are considered a no show/ abandon of position. Most contracts in that sort of position require a 30 termination notice. Did you give 30 days notice? Did you give notice at all? If not, then the company considers that abandonment. The person that asked you to come back in may not have been aware of what was in your records at the time, and after reviewing them, was bound by the company's position on poor employment records.
Granted, you may not have been a poor employee by the driving and safety standards, but if you failed to abide by your contract, then you are considered a poor employee.

hblueeyes
02-15-2006, 07:08 AM
I don't know about bus driving but I was a supervisor at UPS and daily we would have close to 100+ no call/no show and in addition to that there would be about that were supervisors. They never got terminated even if they were habitual. They were desperate for bodies.

Good Luck.

Me :p

shellysms
02-15-2006, 07:26 AM
I'm sorry, you had to go thru all of this...but I hope it works out for the best...on a side note...I can't believe that you didn't get any mail, phone calls, etc that you were still going to be driving??? I mean...I know the way school works, out in summer and back to school..but after being off what 3 months..I would think that someone would call to double check that you were still driving...what bus, etc. I don't know!! but good luck!!