PDA

View Full Version : I need to VENT!

bookworm12
01-23-2006, 02:56 PM
This may sound petty but it really has me going......

On a different board I had books listed...a trader emailed and said she wanted two, I quoted her a price ($3)...she says great, I'll have hubby send it through paypal.... Well three days goes by and no paypal...in the mean time I tell at least 2 other people they were sold.....

I sent her an email thinking maybe she told her hubby to send the money and he forgot..... Well I get an email back saying. Her husband said she wasn't allowed to buy it ....... Now why she needs her spouses approvel for a $3 purchase seems a bit extreme to me, and if she wasn't "allowed" to get it, why not send an email saying so before I had to email her...... And if she changed her mind, she couldn't just say that.... We are adults!!!!!!!!!

Am I crazy? Do you all ask "permission" to make purchases? My hubby and I have a $30 rule..... more then $30, we talk about it...If I asked him everytime I spent $3 he would go insane...... He would have to call me and "ask if he was allowed" to go out to lunch!!!!!

freeplease
01-23-2006, 03:42 PM
I guess I'm lucky. I have the kind of husband that would laugh his fool head off if I asked permission to do anything. Although, since he doesn't have a clue how things work around here, he does tend to ask ME question after question. I keep telling him he'd better hope I never get hit by a bus, he'd get real used to the fetal position. He agrees. ;)

Willow
01-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Another thread that makes me glad I'm not married. :D

Bliss
01-23-2006, 04:44 PM

I second it!

tngirl
01-23-2006, 05:04 PM

I third that! Geez....it is $3!!

3lilpigs
01-23-2006, 06:04 PM
I third that! Geez....it is $3!!

I 4th it!
I'd tell him to stick it up his a$$
lol

budlite
01-23-2006, 06:17 PM
I am 41 and happily married 12 years. If my husband said I need PERMISSION FOR ANYTHING, he have a lot of dents on his friggin head from my cast iron pot i hit him with. But there are men out there who control every little things there wives do. Sad but it is true....

Quaker_Parrots
01-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, DH & I share a bank account. That being said, the main reason we BOTH ask each other if is ok to buy something, is to make sure the other hasn't made a purchase that might have sucked the account dry, or put it close enough to empty where we will go over. The other reason would be respect plain and simple, lol, I personally don't like DH pouting when I have bought something he didn't know about. But I have to agree the $3 is a little far fetched, sounds like the buyer changed their mind.

Willow
01-23-2006, 06:34 PM
No offense but even asking before spending $30 would not go over well with me. That would mean every time I bought a pair of jeans or a shirt I would need to ask permission. I'm a size 18 so I buy most of my clothing at Lane Bryant. It's one of the few stores that has nice clothing in larger sizes that actually looks good and doesn't look like frumpy old ladies clothing. The jeans I buy are $39.50 and about the cheapest you will find any kind of a top in there is for about $30.

icequeen8455434
01-23-2006, 07:16 PM
I make 3 times in a month what DH makes in the same month. I'm really gonna ask him can I buy a $3 item. He'd think I'd lost my mind. Add all his shoes together, and you could buy one pair of mine! :eek:

Freebeemom
01-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Sounds like an excuse if you ask me...but if it is true, they have more problems than worrying about a $3 paypal purchase!!

killbarney
01-23-2006, 07:34 PM
I'll 5th it with a great BIG sigh of relief.

I 4th it!

cpbaby
01-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Sounds like an excuse if you ask me...but if it is true, they have more problems than worrying about a $3 paypal purchase!!

I tend to agree. I quit asking "permission" when I movedout of my parents house. I do ask for opinions sometimes, but not "permission". And he doesnt either.

firedog4ever
01-23-2006, 09:14 PM

ITA I can't imagine any married woman asking her husband for a $3 purchase. I have been married 10 years and my husband has never quibbled with me over such a small amount.

swan0002
01-23-2006, 11:42 PM
It is ridiculous! I can't imagine ANYONE telling me what I can buy and what I can't.... at ANY price! However, the problem here is the other "buyers" that the OP could have sold to. My advice.... it's still for sale until I get payment!!

justme23
01-24-2006, 04:19 AM
My husband would like it if I asked him before I purchased stuff but if it's not more than 20 bucks and I haven't already spent a ton of money he usually doesn't even know about it until he has to pick it up from the office. I will, however, discuss the purchase of more expensive items. Not because I "have" to, but because I don't work and he brings in all the money and he may have plans at some point that he'd have to cancel on if I spent a large amount of money. That rarely happens, though and I almost always buy it. I can say though, w/out a really good reason, I'd be pretty pissed off if he forbade me from buying anything, especially something that was 3 bucks.

luvangel72
01-24-2006, 08:23 AM
My dh and I each have our own bank account and also a joint account. We both add money to the joint account for bills, groceries, household neccessities, etc. He adds much more than I since he makes about 3 times more than I. The money in my account is mine to do as I please. I don't even ask to take money out of our joint account, I just tell him out of respect that I took out $xxx for groceries, or i went to walmart and spent $xx. Just so he knows money was taken out. Its never been an issue. And actually, when I go out to lunch with a friend and I go to kiss him goodbye, he often asks if I need any money. I don't do much spending on things that aren't for the house or kids or him, so its never really been an issue. Guess I'm 1 of the lucky ones?! I agree that if $3 is an issue than they have much bigger problems in their marriage!

buttrfli
01-24-2006, 09:01 AM
We don't have any rule, I know whats in the bank, I spend what I want LOL

DH might ask if we have enough for something, but hes certainly not asking permission.. and I'd never ask him for permission.

tracyb
01-24-2006, 05:35 PM
in our home we dont HAVE to ask...we just tell each other out of respect...not with little amounts but I I have a few items I am buy off ebay .I say hun...I have 3 items up...lol

tljohn123
01-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Count yourselves lucky gals.....because I had an ex husband that went nuts if I spent $3 on a clearance item at Walmart. Yes, he really did. Now that I am my own boss, I spend what I want. I do however tell my boyfriend I went out and spent XX amount of dollars....or that I went and got a pair of jeans (like I did today)...he says "good for you!' We have also agreed, lil things don't mean anything, but lets talk about the big stuff. So yes, there are husbands out there like that. I was married to one for 14 years.

cpbaby
01-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Count yourselves lucky gals.....because I had an ex husband that went nuts if I spent $3 on a clearance item at Walmart. Yes, he really did. Now that I am my own boss, I spend what I want. I do however tell my boyfriend I went out and spent XX amount of dollars....or that I went and got a pair of jeans (like I did today)...he says "good for you!' We have also agreed, lil things don't mean anything, but lets talk about the big stuff. So yes, there are husbands out there like that. I was married to one for 14 years.

Im glad you are out of that relationship. {{{{{huggles**********

mikang
01-25-2006, 02:30 AM

I was married to a man just like your ex. If I bought something and it was $1 or 2 he would get really mad. If I needed gas money he would give me $5 and tell me it had to last a couple of weeks. The best one was when he gave me $20 and told me to go buy our son 4 pair of Levi's, lol! My husband now buys me things and always wants to know if I treated myself to anything lately because he says I deserve it. I never ask him about small purchases but if it's going to be over $100 I like to get his opinion on it.

hotwheelstx
01-25-2006, 02:59 AM
Aggie and I have 3 accts. His, mine, ours. Opinion around here is if I want it/need it I BUY IT. I don't ask for permission. Haven't done that since I asked for my allowance from my mom.......many moons ago.

$3.00 is trivial. Yes, I understand it's a LOT for some who don't have much but come on be reasonable about it. It's not like it's furniture, a car, new carpeting.

If I ever asked Aggie for $3.00 he'd laugh at me w/curiousity ;) ;) .

kyswpgrl
01-25-2006, 09:43 AM
in our home we dont HAVE to ask...we just tell each other out of respect...not with little amounts but I I have a few items I am buy off ebay .I say hun...I have 3 items up...lol

Sounds exactly like my dh and I. I handle the checkbook and view our account daily online, so he doesn't even know what we have in there or what I spend money on. However, I DO tell him. Everytime I balance the checkbook I let him know how much money we actually have. Anytime I make a purchase online or off Ebay, I ask what he thinks about it or I will tell him afterwards. But NEVER do I ask his permission. He makes more money than I do and I spend more than him, but there has never been an issue. I agree with the others that it sounds like she may have just wanted to back out.

YankeeMary
01-25-2006, 02:54 PM
My DH just purchased some "computer stuff" for $1,500.00. I found out about it when UPS delivered it...lol...I just went out and bough us all new tennis shoes (4pairs) and bought my mommy 2 new pair of shoes. I am not sure if he knows it or not. If I were to ask him for $3.00 he would probably tell me no for poops and giggles.

For all you ladies that are thankful you aren't married. I wish you all a great fella like mine. I didn't think good men existed any more, boy was I wrong.(yes Donna you are included...hehe...)

kyswpgrl
01-25-2006, 04:23 PM
My DH just purchased some "computer stuff" for $1,500.00.

Must be nice to not have to confer with your spouse before making that big of a purchase. LOL I consider myself to have a good husband/marriage as well, but anything over $100 is definitely getting discussed.

Willow
01-25-2006, 05:31 PM
My DH just purchased some "computer stuff" for $1,500.00. I found out about it when UPS delivered it...lol...I just went out and bough us all new tennis shoes (4pairs) and bought my mommy 2 new pair of shoes. I am not sure if he knows it or not. If I were to ask him for $3.00 he would probably tell me no for poops and giggles.

For all you ladies that are thankful you aren't married. I wish you all a great fella like mine. I didn't think good men existed any more, boy was I wrong.(yes Donna you are included...hehe...)

I will find a good one eventually. I know that God doesn't want me to be single the rest of my life, well at least I hope not. :D

YankeeMary
01-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Must be nice to not have to confer with your spouse before making that big of a purchase. LOL I consider myself to have a good husband/marriage as well, but anything over $100 is definitely getting discussed.
I wasn't saying that not discussing a bigger purchase means you didn't have a good marriage. Money has nothing to do with a good marriage. I was just trying to say how funny it is that dh can purchase (or I) could purchase anything but if I asked for $3.00 he would say no. And it is real nice that I don't have to talk big or small (for that matter) purchases over with my husband.

YankeeMary
01-25-2006, 06:10 PM
I will find a good one eventually. I know that God doesn't want me to be single the rest of my life, well at least I hope not. :D
Your dream man is here in the south, just waiting on you to arrive. :D

Willow
01-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Your dream man is here in the south, just waiting on you to arrive. :D

Are you going to hook me up? :D Oh geez I'm starting to talk like my kids. :eek:

YankeeMary
01-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Are you going to hook me up? :D Oh geez I'm starting to talk like my kids. :eek:
Consider yourself hooked...hehe...cool momma...hehe. :D

Willow
01-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Consider yourself hooked...hehe...cool momma...hehe. :D

Just as long as I don't start saying "word". I can't stand that expression. :rolleyes: :D

buttrfli
01-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Just as long as I don't start saying "word". I can't stand that expression. :rolleyes: :D

Word.... oop! My bad :D

Willow
01-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Word.... oop! My bad :D

You don't say that do you? :eek: :p

YankeeMary
01-27-2006, 03:00 PM
You don't say that do you? :eek: :p
I bet she does....HAHA!!!

buttrfli
01-27-2006, 03:24 PM
I bet she does....HAHA!!!

I don't say "word" ... but I have said my bad on occasion LOL I use that to replace the "S" word :D

cstarlight
01-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Me & DH have always had the agreement that as long as all the bills are paid we buy what we want....no questions asked. But bills do come first before pleasure. He went as far as buying a bumper sticker and putting it on his truck that says: Driver Carries No Cash..He's Married!!LOL :eek:

Willow
01-27-2006, 06:52 PM
I don't say "word" ... but I have said my bad on occasion LOL I use that to replace the "S" word :D

You use foul language? :eek: I never would have expected that from you. :D

buttrfli
01-27-2006, 07:19 PM
You use foul language? :eek: I never would have expected that from you. :D

ME?!?! Use foul language? Never!!!

"S" stands for "shoot"! :D :p

YankeeMary
01-27-2006, 09:11 PM
ME?!?! Use foul language? Never!!!

"S" stands for "shoot"! :D :p
I was here for you Teri, I was gonna take up for you, but you beat me to it. I was going to say "S" stood for "Silly"...LOL.
I gotta admit, I say "My Bad" also...I say "you dork alot"...lol.

buttrfli
01-27-2006, 09:42 PM
I was here for you Teri, I was gonna take up for you, but you beat me to it. I was going to say "S" stood for "Silly"...LOL.
I gotta admit, I say "My Bad" also...I say "you dork alot"...lol.

You say a lot of other stuff too.. I'd have to ban myself if I repeated it :eek:

LMAO :p

YankeeMary
01-28-2006, 07:26 PM
You say a lot of other stuff too.. I'd have to ban myself if I repeated it :eek:

LMAO :p
Funny little thing aren't yah??? BRAT!!! :p