PDA

View Full Version : guess I'm the "meanest mom in the world" today

Matt's Mom
01-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Well, my DS did not start his (or my) day off too well this a.m. He pushes and pushes with just a little too much tone in his voice or just a little too much talk-back (or both) and dilly dallying (man, I sound like my own mom!! lol) so he was warned more than once that if he didn't get moving he would lose his games (video games/computer) for the day and being Friday I would figure he would straighten right up (we have a 1 hour limit on school days for video games, so Fridays we are more lenient). Well, he didn't. And it was almost as if he didn't really mind because it's only the a.m. but it included his gameboy that he plays on the bus-he has a very long bus ride in the morning and the afternoon. I felt really badly about it, but if I threaten something then just give it back or don't follow through-how effective will it be?
You'd have thought I told him he could not eat for a week or something, head hanging low on his way to the bus. Makes me feel bad, but it's what works.
Any other "mean" moms out there? :confused:

Freebeemom
01-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Sign me on as a "mean mom". We have a similar rule...no video games duringt the week/ My son woke up at 6 am and I found him playing video games in his pj's. "What mom, it's friday". Ugh...I sware, limits are always pushed. I know it may sound stupid, but rules are rules. I am not going to give up on this one. Schoolwork is more important than video games. Amazing...But I agree...I feel like I sound like my own mother!

PrincessArky
01-20-2006, 06:52 AM
mean mom here..........I am very strict with the kids........I have to because #1 Devon is ADHD and #2 I wont have children that act like nuts in public that has to be the most embarassing thing in the world for a mom. I learned a long time ago that I am the mom not the friend sometimes you can do a bit of both but not when it comes to punishment

freeplease
01-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Another mean mom checking in. What is it about Fridays? :confused:

Lori63
01-20-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm mean, also. No video games/etc. Mon-Thurs. and Friday-Sunday depends on behavior.
My youngest is borderline ADD (still deciding what to do), and if he forgets his homework,etc., he gets no TV and has to stay in his room. (he's 10)
Yes, I am a mean mom, and I have three very well-haved boys (17,14,10) most of the time).

Lori63
01-20-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm mean, also. No video games/etc. Mon-Thurs. and Friday-Sunday depends on behavior.
My youngest is borderline ADD (still deciding what to do), and if he forgets his homework,etc., he gets no TV and has to stay in his room. (he's 10)
Yes, I am a mean mom, and I have three very well-behaved boys (17,14,10) most of the time.

Tasha405
01-20-2006, 08:14 AM
I guess I'm a mean mom too. I don't allow my oldest son (only child in school) any video games here during the school week until Friday evening... IF he had no missing assignments and wasn't in any major trouble. Then they are given back to me Sunday evening. I even keep them in my room, in a bag so he can't sneak and play them. ;)

It will be the same way for my other two when they start school.

Of course my oldest son thinks I'm just the meanest thing ever. lol

Oh and he's told me he's going to call the law because he's sure they are laws against child labor. Umm... the ONLY thing he does here is take out the trash. Unless you count the few times a year he cleans up his room. :rolleyes: Maybe I should call and see if the are labor laws out there for me since I do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry and everything else that gets done around here. LOL

luvangel72
01-20-2006, 08:44 AM
"Mean Mom" here too. We have homework time at our house. 1 hour every night at the kitchen table spent on homework, studying or reading. No phone, tv or radio during that hour. School nights is 1/2 hour computer time unless its homework related, and they know I'm always checking up on them when they are on it. And no phone after 8pm. My kids also have chores that they do. Nothing major, set the table, vacuum, help with supper, do dishes, fold towels, whatever needs doing. They are usually pretty good about doing whats asked of them. Although I have a funny story to tell. When my 15 year old was 11, I asked her to do the dishes. She didn't want to do them and had a bit of a tantrum, which of coarse was ignored so finally she broke down and decided to be dramatic about doing the dishes. She tied a sweatshirt around her waste like an apron, put a bandana on her head and comes out with this attitude saying "If you're going to treat me like cinderella, than I might as well look like cinderella!". It was the funniest thing! I still tease her about it, I'll tell her to go get her bandana cause its time to do dishes!

Eyore
01-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Well, my kids are grown now but when they were younger I was a mean mom as well. I'm sure they had a few other names for me as well. lol

hblueeyes
01-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Count me in. If I threaten it, I always followed thru. Made things so much easier when they were teenagers. I made my kids have an 8pm bed time and in Jr High it was 9. High School was 10:30 unless they had a school function.
Even though my 2 oldest are 20 and 21, they still listen and obey my rules, no bed time though but they must check in when they are out and I know where they are at and who they are with when they are home from school. Makes for a peaceful household.

Me :p

lassss
01-20-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm the cool mom on the block I guess...I allow my son to stay up late, play on the puter or ps2, eats what he wants....AS LONG AS:

his grades are good, he can get up in the morning without my help, does his chores and clean up after himself.

He will be 15 next month and talking about getting a summer job to help pay for car insurance and gas for when he turns 16 :D

I used to be really strict with him when he was younger and I think the roots have taken hold and grown along with him

Tasha405
01-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm the cool mom on the block I guess...I allow my son to stay up late, play on the puter or ps2, eats what he wants....AS LONG AS:

his grades are good, he can get up in the morning without my help, does his chores and clean up after himself.

He will be 15 next month and talking about getting a summer job to help pay for car insurance and gas for when he turns 16 :D

I used to be really strict with him when he was younger and I think the roots have taken hold and grown along with him
I would do the same with mine IF he would keep his grades up. I don't think I would let him stay up too late though because he'd want to stay up all night and be falling asleep in class. lol

Mine had also been talking about getting a job. He's 14 now and won't be 15 until Sept. He called a few places around here not long ago but will hire him right now because of his age. He was so bummed about it too. I'm glad he wants to work and do things for himself like that though. That makes me proud. :)

jada1989
01-20-2006, 08:52 PM
I try to be mean !!!...LOL..But when Im cleaning up after supper ,my Oldest (HUBBY) likes to play his playstation and he lets our 2 boys watch, but when I say its 7:45 start getting your teeth brushed and go potty etc... He is playing and so in to the damn game that they just sit there watching and I have to tell him to be a dad for a minute and get them to bed!!! I thnk that sometimes he is my worst kid!! :p

morninglight23
01-21-2006, 06:31 AM
I'm a mean mom too! Glad I'm not the only one lol! My kids get no television or video games M-TH because it started to interfere with their homework "oops I forgot mom!" was being heard more and more. When you were describing your sons dilly dallying and giving to much tone in his voice I coulda sworn you were talking about my 10 y/o son! He doesn't know when to quit even after he has been warned that he better watch it.....and then when a punishment is put on....he says "Jeeze what kind of mom are you!" LOL sometimes it bothers me, but I know I am doing the right thing...I can see him getting out of control if I don't stay on top of it. Just know that when they are older and they look back they know you were just doing your job at being a mom...I know I do that all the time with my mother!

Out2Lunch
01-21-2006, 06:42 AM
Hi, My name is Laura, and I am a mean mom :mad: ....lol...

Yes, I have been told I am a strict mother. Thank goodness my dd isnt into video games at all...But I did make my dd go to bed without eatting dinner the other night. I have made a new rule that either you eat what I make -or- you dont eat. I am NOT making a different meal for everone. I made homemade potato soup and NOTHING was right for her...too many crackers...not enough juice, etc. and I appeased her long enough. Finally, I told her to eat or go to bed(she had already sat there for an hour). She decided to go to bed...wouldn't even come give us a hug. I DID feel bad, but I can remember many a night of me sitting at the table after everyone else was done. OK, call me mean....but she woke up the next morning and was fine....happy and all!

:)

hblueeyes
01-21-2006, 07:38 AM
I was not strict but I was firm and held my ground and enforced the rules. My kids and their friends think I am cool. They hang out at my house alot and that is ok. These boys whose moms tell me they can't get their kids to do anything pick up after themselves at my house. They are good kids. But school is and always has been #1. It is their job. Also I never gave my kids an allowance. They had chores and it was their responsibility as members of the family to do them. They would be paid a minimal amount for extra things like cleaning the garage but they were never paid more than $5. Partly because I did not have the money.

lasssss hit the nail on the head. When you develop a firm foundation when they are little it stays with them. You lose some control when they go off to school but that is why communication is so important. I talk with my kids. I have 4 boys and nothing is off limits. Because I did this before they understood my words they are comfortable opening up and because of this their friends talk to me as well. I also took the time to get to know the parents of my kids friends. When they get home from school their is a 30 minute minimum time required to tell me about their day and what is going on. I never get "nothing" for an answer of how was your day.

My kids also know that no matter what I will go to bat for them. if they are wrong they get it from me as well. I hold my boys accountable for their actions. I hate the excuse of "boys will be boys" What an absurd remark.

Me :p

Matt's Mom
01-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Well, I'm glad to see so many replies!! I agree with you all. Communication is a very important thing, my parents were the "cool" ones that everyone loved and wanted to talk to, but strict and when it came to certain things there was no excuses. That is a great way to be! I am that way too. A lot of the time I am more the disciplinarian than my husband because he works and I am home all day with them. DS goes to school weekdays of course but I still spend the majority of the time with them. Don't get me wrong, my husband is about the best daddy you could imagine. Sometimes I get jealous,lol, he is the one to cuddle and play and wrestle on the floor while I am good for punishment :rolleyes: He does discipline plenty when it's needed and agrees with me when I do so there is no discrepency there at least. I guess when I feel hard on myself I look at it that way, that I am the meanie,hehe.
I noticed a few replies people said their son/child was ADD/ADHD. Our son is also. Sometimes, especially without meds he can be very argumentative and moody. That does not help.
But I am so glad to see we are all in the "mean mom" club!! LOL :D