PDA

View Full Version : How we spent our CHRISTmas................

mnvdriver
12-25-2005, 10:21 PM
After gifts ( which the kids really LOVED!!! ) we discovered we all had LICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a way to spend your Christmas. ( and part of your rent money ) 6 ( all 5 kids and me )heads later mine is still spinning. I know I am going to see the buggers in my sleep tonight!!! We will be heading to the dollar store tomorrow for mayo and more lice shampoo. ( they have it for $2.50 a kit. ) Wish they would have been open today.

Shann
12-25-2005, 10:25 PM
yikes that is awful, hope you can get rid of it soon.

mnvdriver
12-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I hope so too. My son's hair is so fine and blond it was hard to see some of them. ( his poor head is bright pink right now )

Starlady01
12-26-2005, 02:04 AM
I hate lice, I have one son, but come from a large family and with an only child he spend lots of time with family members and would come home with lice :(.
Just the mention of lice makes my head itch.. I HATE LICE. The thought of something living in my head drives me insane.. Omg now my whole body is itching.. I HATE LICE. LOL

P.S. My son had the very fine blonde hair also when he was younger.

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-26-2005, 02:45 AM
While you're treating your heads,make sure to wash EVERYTHING,otherwise,you'll keep them around.

Good luck!

mirage7000
12-26-2005, 03:47 AM
Yikes! Some awful memories! My daughter got them in school. She had the most beautiful thick hair. Well that darn little comb and lice treatment didn't work. Had to cut her waist long hair! Made me sick. The only way to get rid of them was to cut her hair short! Yuck! I hope the treatment you are using works cause I know I went through hell!

Starlady01
12-26-2005, 03:57 AM
Yes my son also got it at school and from his cousins both, I would wash everything in the house, something about having anything living on my body drives me insane. I would scrub my house from top to bottom. Another hint is using the dryer for everything and use a hair dryer also. Heat kills the lice. I would use the hair dryer on my couch, chairs and mattress's then spray them down. I can't stand lice or anything crawling on my body drives me insane.

TX_Cowgirl
12-26-2005, 04:55 AM
i heard you also have to wash all the bed clothes and really clean your house to get rid of them completly
hop eyou get rid of them

taz69
12-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Don't forget to put stuffed animals in dryer, or garbage bag for a couple of weeks, my daughter kept getting re-infected from her stuffed teddy!

mnvdriver
12-26-2005, 09:37 AM
We are working on getting a clothes dryer and will buy a hair dryer later today. Guess we will bag up all the clothes until then.

queenangie
12-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Also, it is best to recomb the hair daily to remove the nits with the fine tooth comb.
Should take an hour for an adult's head with long hair.
Kid's hair will take a long time too.

(Hugs)

Starlady01
12-26-2005, 12:07 PM
You can go to a laudry Mat to put the clothes and bedding in don't forget about the pillows. My son never got reinfected but this does happen the first time he got them I freaked out and everybody told me how to get rid of them, I really really freak out I can't stand anything crawling on my body. Just the mention of it drives me insane I have already taken 3 bathes today and done my beding and sofa and chair and the odds are you don't even live in my state, I really freak out over it.. I hate roaches, Snakes, Spiders, Rats, Lice anything that crawls. My dog and cat don't even have fleas I hate it. I can't stand fleas's either.

Good luck to you , My heart goes out to you.

hblueeyes
12-26-2005, 12:29 PM
I wish you luck. It is a pain but I'd be thankful they are out of school at least.

GO BEARS!!!!!

Me :p

mnvdriver
12-26-2005, 01:06 PM
We are just south of Philadelphia.

You can go to a laudry Mat to put the clothes and bedding in don't forget about the pillows. My son never got reinfected but this does happen the first time he got them I freaked out and everybody told me how to get rid of them, I really really freak out I can't stand anything crawling on my body. Just the mention of it drives me insane I have already taken 3 bathes today and done my beding and sofa and chair and the odds are you don't even live in my state, I really freak out over it.. I hate roaches, Snakes, Spiders, Rats, Lice anything that crawls. My dog and cat don't even have fleas I hate it. I can't stand fleas's either.

Good luck to you , My heart goes out to you.

luvangel72
12-26-2005, 02:49 PM
We went through this when my girls were in grade school. And I could not get rid of them. I realized that the shampoo does not get kill the eggs, only the live lice. That is why you have to comb out ALL the eggs (nits). If just 1 hatches, they will become reinfected. So make sure to do a 2nd treatment to make sure. The way I finally got rid of them was a home remedy the dr. told us to do. She said use cooking oil on your head, soak it good, put on a shower cap and let it sit 10 minutes. Take off the cap and comb out the hair. Then wash it out with your regular shampoo. It makes it very easy to comb out the nits from the greasy hair too! She said to do it every 3-4 days for 2 weeks. We did it every other day because by that time we were so frustrated that we couldn't get rid of them. My girls have super thick curly blonde hair so it was very hard to comb after that yucky shampoo. And it dried out their hair and scalp so much. So the oil worked sooo much better. Good luck! So glad my girls are teenagers now so I don't have to worry about that anymore. Afetr all that work you have to do, I hope you take a relaxation day just for you when its all over.

tsquared
12-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Good luck to you on ridding the little varmits.

ang in NC
12-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Use grease for ethnic hair. Then put on a shower cap or one of those bowl covers keep on for 3 hrs. Wash out w/ dawn. Take all lineans,pillows etc to the laundry mat and wash and dry in the hottest temp. I feel for you!

Starlady01
12-27-2005, 05:00 AM
Instead of using a hair dryer on the furniture and bed try using and iron with the steam. I can't get it off my mind and thought of this. :) I really freak out over this stuff sorry. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I hate it when someone is embressed of getting it and then hides it and never find out how to get rid of it. I"m so glad this came up on the board it's alot better to get rid of it then to keep it. I HATE LICE. Test a spot on the furniture first to make sure nothing happens if so then use the hairdryer. And spray after words. My son ain't had it in years thank god I can't stand the stuff. You can wash or just place Pillows in the dryer at the laundry mat. I know with girls sometimes it can really be hard to get rid of. But the hairdryer in the hair should kill all eggs. Alto for santary reason all eggs should be removed.

mnvdriver
12-27-2005, 10:33 AM
We have mostly items that can't be steamed with an iron. Hubby works at Raymour Clearance Center here so we've got alot of their items.( $250 table for $5.00 $300 chair for $20 ) But I can take a hair dryer to them. I can do it on the beds though. We have 3 girls all with shoulder length hair and 2 boys with hair to their necks. 1 girl had VERY fine hair and it has been the hardest on her ( she's 11 ). We've been trying just about everything suggested here. I really appreciate everyones help.

Instead of using a hair dryer on the furniture and bed try using and iron with the steam. I can't get it off my mind and thought of this. :) I really freak out over this stuff sorry. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I hate it when someone is embressed of getting it and then hides it and never find out how to get rid of it. I"m so glad this came up on the board it's alot better to get rid of it then to keep it. I HATE LICE. Test a spot on the furniture first to make sure nothing happens if so then use the hairdryer. And spray after words. My son ain't had it in years thank god I can't stand the stuff. You can wash or just place Pillows in the dryer at the laundry mat. I know with girls sometimes it can really be hard to get rid of. But the hairdryer in the hair should kill all eggs. Alto for santary reason all eggs should be removed.

mnvdriver
12-27-2005, 10:34 AM
That won't be hard to find in this area. Even our dollar store has it.

Use grease for ethnic hair. Then put on a shower cap or one of those bowl covers keep on for 3 hrs. Wash out w/ dawn. Take all lineans,pillows etc to the laundry mat and wash and dry in the hottest temp. I feel for you!

jada1989
01-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Mayonaise works the best !( Hellmans real mayo.) You have to leave it on all night though. Another good one that I found on a home remedies site was denarex (extra strength) use it every couple of days . Please make sure they dont get it in their eyes because it burns reall bad. and for your furniture and carpets I was told to use this stuff called Sevendust, also works well with fleas in the yard or house.

mnvdriver
01-04-2006, 11:05 PM
I think we have it gone. I am the only one still itching; but it is from other reasons. ( and a reaction to the shampoo as well. )

flybabyny
01-14-2006, 04:36 AM
Tee Trea Oil is a great preventative--get some and put a few drops into your regular shampoo--it works great to keep lice away after you finally get rid of them.

rustynail
01-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Boy oh Boy,

My dd got them back in October. I have just recently taken the stuff out of bags! I did the RID thing, but remember to get the spray as well and spray the mattress, pillows, car, backpack, anything you think of that comes in contact. Couches couch pillows. Wash everything, yes become a fanatic. It takes time, but worth it. Also Denorex shampoo, it will sting eyes, so be careful, but the bugs hate the smell.

Comb, comb, comb. Daily A pain YES!!!! Worth it!!!!

I still inspect the hair, just when she is not aware, to make sure.

WHAT A PAIN!!

I hope they do not return.

D