PDA

View Full Version : Lasik SUC*S

hblueeyes
12-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Besides being expensive they are a rip off. Hubby decides to have Lasik. Which ticked me off so clos to xmas, not to mention I have listened for 20+ years how he is dying. He has melanoma but it seems to be in check right now. He has to have surgery for another matter on 12/16 but he goes and has a initial consultation for Lasik.He is quoted a price of $850 per eye instead of the $399 per eye they advertised because he has small pupils. The next day we go in for his surgery which takes all of 15 seconds per eye. He goes to the Lasik room. I am watching people and it seems that everyone there to have the surgery done is now told it will cost more. Hubby comes out 58 minutes later wearing shades and smiling. I asked what took so long and they had problems calibrating the laser. Then I asked him if they told him it would cost more and he says, Yes, how did you know? Because they did that to every single person that came in to have it done. It turns out his will cost $1250 per eye. Then they messed up and did both eyes different. He said he told them no that reading glasses were ok and not to do each eye different but it appears they did it that way just the same, but we must wait 4 weeks until his eyes heal to be sure.

I can't believe that not one sole including my husband said anything when the price went up. I'd have been livid and walked out. Dont tell me the price went up in 24 hours for everyone.

I am livid. $2500 for his vanity, even though he "is dying" with no life insurance. Like he says "what do I care, I'll be dead. Not if I dont go ahead and knock him off first.

Me :p

Goobie
12-03-2005, 04:18 PM
My DH had Lasik and it was well worth the $ we spent. It wasn't at all for vanity. His vision was 20/200 at the age of 26.

Maybe it's just me, but $2000+ was well worth it for my DH not to have to wear contacts the rest of his life.

I also wouldn't have the attitude you have about my DH if he was in remission for any terminal disease. I'd be happy he was alive!

You can't take your $ with you when you go and when a loved one is gone, there is no bringing them back.

lassss
12-03-2005, 04:31 PM
The price is different for each person. I cannot get the cheap 399 per eye because I have astigmatism, so it would be more like a grand per eye. From everyone I talked to, they loved it and never regretted it. You hafta put yourself in your DH's shoes. It is something HE wants for himself. It sucks to get up every morning and put on your glasses just to see the time. I know because I have bad vision. I will be getting lasik sometime next year after I finish paying off bills

Steena
12-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Well, sounds like this is something that he always wanted to, but put it off for some reason (money may be one of them). I do not know anything about Lasik surgery, but $399 an eye sounds cheap. I do think it is deceiving though, that no one actually pays that price, but more, for whatever reason. Is you dh really terminally ill and dying or is this a joke that he is hypochondriac? Well, hope this surgery doesn't put you indebt. I think Lasik is always an option, and you should be in a good financial place to pay for it.

My SIL got it done and borrowed the $$$ from her Dad to pay for it. I guess he is deducting the cost from her inheritance along with her braces that he paid for. I think she is going through a vanity phase.

hblueeyes
12-03-2005, 05:33 PM
He has been dying for 20+ years. He has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It is genetic on his side of the family. I listened to his mother cry dying for 20+ years as well but she did pass away 2 years ago. We are all dying. I dont mean to sound cruel but if I were dying I would not spend money on something that was not needed if I had no life insurance (not insurable due to melanoma) or money saved to be buried. I have a plot that I bought when I was 20. Besides that I am to be donated. When they have finished they will send my family the ashes. The plot is just so they have a place to go. I visit my Dad at his plot just to hang out say hi and pour us a beer.

His melanoma is in check. There are grades and his is the lowest. But it is somethiing that needs to be watched, use sunscreen etc.

I understand having had cancer 3 times myself since 1986. It is scary but it is not the end.

Hubby did not want to wear glasses anymore. When I saw his smile afterwards I was like, ok, it makes him happy but to be so cavalir about the extra $900 really sent me over the edge. I have no xmas money for my four sons or other family members but he financed $2500. I have a upper plate partial that is a temporary one, which is broke I may add. I have had it for 5 years(some temporary). Where is the $350 for my teeth, oh ya, can't afford it. Plus I buy the college kids their contacts and my oldest needs toric at a hundred bucks a box per eye. This is what I use my walmart gift cards from freeride.com on, or groceries. My van needs work, so I am stuck with no car but we dont have the $800 for that. Besides my shoes are 4 years old and that is just nuts. We are not rich but I am not going without anymore so he can have his wants while he "is dying". If it were that grave a situation he would make the necessary life adjustments like start exercising, alter his diet, have a positive mental attitude etc. Just got the letter from U of Chicago we need to pay $900 by the 21st for the winter term. Go figure.

And he is a hypochondriac is someone nearby sneezes or coughs or if my friend comes by (she is a nurse) he is suddenly sick from it.

kyswpgrl
12-03-2005, 05:55 PM
OK don't know your whole situation and not trying to be rude, but if it's so bad...why not make it better? Are you not working? Can you not move out on your own and just worry about taking care of YOURSELF from now on? I think it's incredibly selfish your dh is putting himself first regardless of how "happy" it makes him. Don't YOU deserve to be happy too??????

hblueeyes
12-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Don't YOU deserve to be happy too??????

I sure do. What makes me happy is helping others and doing for those who need and that includes my family. They always come first. But I haven't been to the hairdresser is at least 5 years. Guess where I will be tuesday. Gonna get my hair done.

I have always contributed to the household finances. For 6 years we managed on my income alone. I went back to school and he had a fit. I am 2 classes away from my associates degree. He's been back in school a few years.But all he did was school and work. I worked full time and went to school full time and took care of the kids, my oldest was 10 at the time my youngest was 5, did laundry, cooked, cleaned etc. He made it as hard as possible. He is worse than a 4 year old spoiled kid.

There were many times he took money to help his Mom whom never,ever paid us back. He paid over $1500 for her teeth. He paid to have them all pulled and then paid for her false teeth. All done behind my back but I found out and went ballastic. Again I didnt understand, if your dying what difference does it make if you have teeth or not? She only went to Bingo 9 times a week. Maybe if she didnt spend so much on bingo she could have paid for it herself. But she too was a selfish, it is all about me person.

He is a terrific guy, most of the time but this lasik thing just set me off because I have no $$$ for my boys for christmas. It just has me bummed. I know I'll say screw the bills and spend the money on them but then I will spend a few months playing catch up. There was only a $50 out of pocket expense, as far as I know, for the eye surgery but it is that monthly bill that is gonna hurt but I will not pay a dime for it.

Me

tngirl
12-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Ok, now I am confused. This post kind of puts off a bitter taste over your husband's Lasik. In your other post on the same subject, the attitude is a bit different. Then you are talking about financing the surgery, but then you say there is only a $50 out of pocket expense? :confused:

You are also complaining about shoes and hair cuts and such, but you are talking about an addition on your house and trying to get a plumber out? I know your finances are not my business....it is just that the 2 post don't match. Oh well, I hope things get better for you.

I do know that if it was my husband and I had gotten to the point of being so bitter toward him, I would either be getting some counseling or a divorce.

Kelsey1224
12-06-2005, 04:36 PM
I think Lasik is a miracle surgery. It cost hubby and I $3,000 EACH!!! And it was one some of the best money we ever spent!!!

It does sound like this particular place you sent is kind of a "chop shop" for eyes so to speak what with their changing prices like that. I had an evaluation visit before the actual surgery and everything was laid out and identified at that time. My surgeon said that I had probably the worst astigmatism's he had ever seen...and he had done thousands of surgeries!!!

But not all lasik is bad.

It sounds like lasik isn't the problem, but rather that you and hubby have other issues and this was just one more thing which caused you to feel (rightfully) resentful toward his selfish attitude.

BTW...if they did your hubby's surgery wrong...the monovision thing so that he doesn't need reading glasses...that usually requires an "enhancement" (second surgery) to correct. This is typically no additional cost to you. The same thing happened with my husband.

ang in NC
12-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Take care of your self lady,husband was talking about doing this. I said you can get your eyes done and I'll get my nose done. My nose was broke when I was a baby and now it is real messed up. After I said that he shut up about it! Again Look after #1!

hblueeyes
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
First off the $50 out of pocket expense, I still dont know what that was for, he doesnt either. They said they needed it so he wrote the check. The cost is being financed.

The addition is not being paid for by me but rather my Mom since her and her hubby will be moving in. But I am trying to save her money as I would if I were paying for it.

I am not bitter but rather frustrated and a bit annoyed because of the finances along with everything else going on. Yes I need shoes and would like to have my hair done but he does not keep me from these things I just know that the money could go elsewhere and like most Moms I find myself in last place. This is by my choice. I just need to say hey, I need _____ and I am gonna get it. I need to learn to take care of myself as much I take care of others but I dont and that is my fault.

He had a follow up today and they discovered an astigmatism that they missed during the first consultation/exam. He needs reading glasses but has a state board exam on friday and cannot read. So it will cost an additional $120 to get him reading glasses for his astigmatism that will be done in an hour. Top that off with 4 new tires and a wheel alignment and I am just bummed.

When it rains it storms like holy heck!

mikang
12-07-2005, 05:19 AM
My son is going to school to become an lasik eye surgeon, I'll be glad when he starts his residency so he can do my eyes! I'm glad he went to school to do the lasik because by the cost of having it done he'll hopefully have a secure financial life.

aneisu
12-12-2005, 12:35 PM
It seems you have an issue more with your husband and his choice of a surgeon than with the surgery itself. MSN has a really interesting article about Lasik right now - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10380838/

suher99
12-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Sounds like he went to a "chop" shop too. I researched and drove over 100 miles away to a reptuable doctor to do mine. It was the best $3000 I ever invested.

moogle
12-15-2005, 04:52 AM
Had mine done a year ago in July. Mine was very expensive - $5,600.
My eyes were very bad, worse than 20/400 - I couldn't see the large
E that takes up the whole screen. Extremely nearsighted with bad
astigmatism on top of it. I had to have custom Lasiks.

I'm now seeing about 20/25. I do need reading glasses, but I did
with my hard contacts, too. I've never been able to see as well as I do now.
My distance sight was horrible, even with contacts. I can't believe how
clearly I can see distance now!

My reading glasses are just the kind you buy over the counter, 1.5 power,
so not that strong.

Best money I have ever spent!

momfromTN
12-15-2005, 05:24 AM
I am sorry about your situation. But one things stands out. You say your kids are grown and in college? (correct me if I missed something) Why are they not paying for their own contacts and glasses? I went to college and worked and paid for my own eyecare. An adult should be responsible for their own eyecare, especially when their parents are not well-off and having problems, as you described.

JMHO.

hblueeyes
12-15-2005, 07:54 AM
I agree to a point. I too worked and went to school as an adult though when my kids were younger. It is difficult going to university and working since schedules and after curricular activities leave little time for employment. But we agreed to pay for medical stuff if they maintained a B or above average. However, fun money is not part of the agreement and is on them. They have summer jobs and they save that money for school.

Plus my Mom and hubbies Mom were the types that do what you want just dont ask me for anything so he goes way overboard. It drives me crazy. But I have talked to my 2 oldest and they are understanding that we should not have to struggle because of them. They must think of their little brothers.

Plus they are bother attending private institutions and need to maintain a good GPA to keep their academic scholarships. I dont mind helping them but hubby just goes crazy.

BigLyd1
12-15-2005, 05:34 PM
I hope the surgery is well worth it for your hubby. I'm just concerned about a place that changes prices like that. Would you ever consider filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau or do you think it's necessary? I know prices do vary from place to place but they shouldn't have changed theirs. SS just had one eye done a couple weeks ago and it was about $1600.

Thawn
12-19-2005, 09:23 PM
I had it done 2 years ago. Really was blind even with thick glasses. I still need bifocals but don't need glasses outside in the bright sunlight at all.

Gotta have your prioritys-though. It's obvious you are not a priority to your hubby.

Enough. Glad to hear you are getting the hair done etc. No more putting things off. He doesn't.

Wishing you the best.