PDA

View Full Version : Additives are killing us

Freebeemom
11-19-2005, 04:05 PM
http://www.truefoodnow.org/shoppersguide/guide_printable.html#pizza

annie169
11-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Additives and Genetically Engineered foods are 2 different things. I don't want to start a big bash, but my dad was one of those people who "designed" or "created" genetically engineered foods. Do some people not understand that there certain varieties of every day foods that were "engineered" to resist disease or get rid of the "inconvenience" factor of that food? How about seedless watermelons? My dad's partners in the USDA worked on those. I can say I had one of the first "seedless" watermelons (I was like 7 or 8 years old). Thornless artichokes? Yes, again, "engineered". Those are just 2 examples of them. I see tomatoes on there...I know what they did to those. They were made so they could travel better from farm to factory with less loss from bruising and mold from breakage. My dad and his partner created a sugar beet (I bet some people don't even know what that is and say "ewww beets") that was resistant to a nematode that was wiping out crops here in the US and my dad was able to go to Europe for 4 months to help them with the same problem that was wiping out their sugar supplies (not all sugar comes from sugar cane).

Please don't bash "genetically engineered foods" because some of those varities would have died out if people like my dad and his partners hadn't "designed" them.

tngirl
11-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Ok, I am lost. So this is a list of products that use and don't use "natural" products. So where is the idea that these genetically produced foods are killing us? If you do some research you might actually find where these "un-natural" products have actually saved us from food-born diseases.

There was a research study on the air we breath. Do you know where the unhealthiest air is found? In your car....so are you going to stop driving?

firechic
11-19-2005, 05:19 PM
They've been killing us for years............right along with coffee, alcohol, water, and so on and so on.

jdfan
11-19-2005, 05:24 PM
http://www.truefoodnow.org/shoppersguide/guide_printable.html#pizza

Another splinter group of Greenpeace, who continues to do more destruction to the oceans than actually protecting. Just because it is on the internet doesn't make it true! The only way you can be halfway safe is grow your own vegetables and animals. Halfway safe means that you will have to find natural methods for controlling pests and have your land tested for all the mean chemicals placed there over the centuries or naturally occurring.

Freebeemom
11-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Another splinter group of Greenpeace, who continues to do more destruction to the oceans than actually protecting. Just because it is on the internet doesn't make it true! The only way you can be halfway safe is grow your own vegetables and animals. Halfway safe means that you will have to find natural methods for controlling pests and have your land tested for all the mean chemicals placed there over the centuries or naturally occurring.

LOL...grow your own foods....like air pollution isn't bad enough...I have to eat them too?

Sorry, but have you eaten a genetically altered tomato? Yuck!

So much of the crap we put in to our bodies IS killing us! McDonalds? Sugar cereals? Red #5? Yum...chemicals!

Bliss
11-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Living will kill you...LOL

I agree Mc D's is bad for your health. After eating it, you'll end up on the john craping yourself to death. :eek: :eek:

tngirl
11-20-2005, 06:13 AM
Living will kill you...LOL

I agree Mc D's is bad for your health. After eating it, you'll end up on the john craping yourself to death. :eek: :eek:

Ain't that the truth...lmao

mesue
11-20-2005, 12:47 PM
One of the things that I have learned about that is affecting people's weight and health is high fructose corn syrup. When the cost of sugar went drastically higher they began to put this product in lots of things to sweeten them. and taste wise we really can't tell the difference or so they say. But our body's recognize the difference between it and sugar. Our body's process the two differently. Sugar is processed and turned into energy our body either uses it then or stores it as fat. High fructose corn syrup is processed or metabolized through the liver, our body automatically stores it as fat. Our body's do not have the opportunity to work it off like we do with sugar. This product started seeing heavy use in the 70's at the same time America's weight problem began. There are lots of websites that explain this better than I can. Two things that uses high fructose corn syrup are soft drinks and juices that are not 100% juice. Start reading the ingredients, you will be amazed at the products that have this in them.

Tisky67
11-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Sorry everyone but, You only go around once and I am going to enjoy myself while I am here. I guess my corpse will be around forever cause everything that is listed as genetically engineered is in my cupboards right now.

One other thing - What is the point behind Reduced Fat Oreo's ? I mean if I am depressed enough to eat a bag of Oreos, I am going for the double stuft.

hblueeyes
11-20-2005, 03:12 PM
When I heard that the stuff inside the Oreo was just lard and sugar I went ,Wow! who'd have thought lard could taste so good. Gotta love it.

Me :p

annie169
11-20-2005, 06:46 PM
LOL...grow your own foods....like air pollution isn't bad enough...I have to eat them too?

Sorry, but have you eaten a genetically altered tomato? Yuck!

If you buy your tomatoes from any retail grocery store, I can almost guarantee you are eating a genetically altered tomato, unles it STATES that its not or you grow your own.

(I don't eat a lot of tomatoes personally because they set off my IBS)

Freebeemom
11-26-2005, 06:32 AM
If you buy your tomatoes from any retail grocery store, I can almost guarantee you are eating a genetically altered tomato, unles it STATES that its not or you grow your own.

(I don't eat a lot of tomatoes personally because they set off my IBS)

Which is why I go to an organic store.

Yes, I still grow my own vegies and have a garden, but air pollution and ground pollution gets worse every year.

It is better to eat foods that are "locally' Grown, rather than imported due to local allergie resistance.