PDA

View Full Version : Dd Had Her Adhd Meds Changed (m)

gwens29
11-04-2005, 05:06 PM
They Changed Her From Focalin Which Was Working Just A Bit To Adderal Xr That Works Great Until Late This Evening About 5pm She Turned Into An Attention Monster Wants Me At Her Beck And Call 100% She Is Bossy Cranky Etc She Wasnt This Way Before On The Focalin But She Wasnt As Well Behaved Either Good Grief Is There No Middle Ground??? And She Is Sick With Strep Throat Been Home Sick For 2 Days From School ...she Wants Me To Drop Everyhitng And Sit With Her And Color Etc And I Have Been With Her All Day Reading Playing Etc And It Isnt Enough I Need A Break Im Gonna Go Nutsssssssss

hblueeyes
11-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Maybe it is more her being sick and home from school bored than the meds.
Remember, I have no knowledge or experience with AD/HD/HAD. Maybe it takes time for it to work thru and even out her behavior. Call her doctors office and ask. But my kids used to act like that as they were feeling better after being sick and strep is horrible.

Good luck

me :p

justme23
11-05-2005, 05:44 AM
My cousin is on Adderall... and you PERFECTLY described her. I love her to death but the child is a little monster. Alot of it is her grandmothers (she's raising her) fault, she lets her yell and scream at her and gives in to her every whim just so she'll shut up... but it drives the rest of us crazy to watch it happening... from BOTH of them. I feel for you and I hope you can get this taken care of!

Willow
11-05-2005, 06:05 AM
My son has been on Adderall XR for a couple of years now. It works great for him. One thing you have to watch out for is cold medicines. A lot of them have an ingredient that doesn't mix well with the Adderall. My son's doctor said to stay away from anything that has dextromethorphan in it.

jackbern
11-05-2005, 07:17 AM
Why did they change her Meds if she was doing great?
Also, it does take time to get in her system.
My son has never had a good experiance with the XRs .
Some people just don't.
Good luck to you.

gwens29
11-05-2005, 07:19 AM
well today was her first dose i wanted to see how she reacted on it before i sent her to school with it ..she stayed really bossy and cranky for about 1.5 hr after that she became her old self lol so i guess she was coming off her meds today is day 2 maybe it will be better...the other day i had her in walmart (she acts this way every time) and hse was yelling running adn falling in the floor ...pulled her shoes off and was trying to go barefoot int he store,.,,she even took off and left me and i had to go find her...my dh said all she needed was a good spanking but they dont effect her at all so i dont spank her its useless she doenst care if u spank her it just makes her act worse.. she we take away privilidges and make her to bed early etc she hates these worse than any spanking ,...i get so frustrated sometimes with her...my ds who is 10 now has adhd also and he acted so similar till he got the right meds now he is a good boy in the store doesnt even ask for things except he wants to look around in the electronics dept lol thanks for the advice

Freebeemom
11-05-2005, 09:49 AM
http://www.indigochild.com/

Willow
11-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Adderall is not a drug that you need to take for a certain amount of time for it to work. My son takes his daily dosage at around 6:30am and by about 4:00pm or so it's worn off. It's not something that builds up in your system.

mom2cvam
11-05-2005, 05:45 PM
My son's ADHD meds made him very "needy" and "clingy" until his body got adjusted to them. His dr said that its normal and it would eventually stop and it did. He is doing wonderful now. We went through a lot of different meds and different doses to fine the right one for him. We were both very glad when we got to the right med and dosage!
He is really good from 6:30 until about 5:00. We can tell when its wearing off!

Blondiex46
11-06-2005, 04:17 PM
my kids taken it and have for years, I also have taken it (no insurance now for it and I sort of can control myself,lol) Anyway when they are "coming off of it" is called rebound effect, it is like they are 10x worse then they are when they haven't taken it, it is a side effect of all of those kind of medications. They also take clonidine at 5 to help with coming off of it and a while one at 8 to help them sleep.

Willow
11-06-2005, 05:45 PM
With my son I can tell when it has worn off because his appetite increases. He doesn't experience what Blondie has mentioned or have any of the side affects. He has never had a problem sleeping. He doesn't always feel like getting up at 6:30am on school mornings but I have never had a problem with him going to bed and falling asleep.

luvangel72
11-06-2005, 06:16 PM
My son had that same effect from ritalin. He would actually not only get clingy but if I didn't adhere to his demands he would get very aggressive and just run around the house uncontrollably. He was on adderall for a couple of years but was taking it 3 times a day..which gave him too many ups and downs at scholl. We tried many different meds over the years. He has been on Concerta (which is actually a slow release form of ritalin) for about 3 years now. It is working wonderfully and we have no problems with his coming down time. I also can tell when it wears off by the fact that he is hungry, eats and 10 minutes later is looking for food again. We used to have problem with going to sleep but we worked through all that and it is much better now. Good luck! It's a long road and tough on the whole family.