PDA

View Full Version : Baby name game NOT!!!!!!

mnvdriver
10-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Who in their right mind names their baby SUPERMAN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim did.

10/03/05: Nicholas and Alice Cage gave their new born son the birth name of Superman. Born on 10/03/05 in New York City, the baby's full name is Kal-el Coppola Cage.

ONLY IN HOLLYWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3lilpigs
10-04-2005, 02:06 PM
who says that means Superman? :confused:

jamireles
10-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Kal-el was the name given to Superman on Krypton when he was born.

Kelsey1224
10-04-2005, 02:37 PM
If my memory serves me right, I think Kal-el was Superman's name on Krypton. However, I didn't even think of that when I read the name.

justme23
10-04-2005, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't have put two and two together on this one -- but, it's his kid, so who cares what he names him? I've certainly heard worse.

Willow
10-04-2005, 06:16 PM
who says that means Superman? :confused:

I couldn't figure it out either but then again I never really watched Superman. I was an Incredible Hulk fan. lol

3lilpigs
10-04-2005, 06:33 PM
If my memory serves me right, I think Kal-el was Superman's name on Krypton. However, I didn't even think of that when I read the name.

so then it doesn't ''mean'' superman then, right?

just a name that was given to him.

stresseater
10-04-2005, 06:34 PM
:) It beats Moon Unit and Dweezle.

justme23
10-05-2005, 07:26 AM
:) It beats Moon Unit and Dweezle.

Lol -- who did that?

Goobie
10-05-2005, 07:40 AM
The Zappa's

3lilpigs
10-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Lol -- who did that?

those are Frank Zappa's kids.

delSol
10-05-2005, 08:10 AM
I found that I did not know who "scott lee" was so I did some searching and it is "jason lee" who has done a bunch of stuff and now has that show "Earl" (you'll understand down below) - that is my vote for addest kid's name

Celebrity baby names from around the world
Welcome to our celebrity baby names hints and tips page. Find information on celebrity baby names from around the world. Find out what crazy baby names the stars are using.

It seems that the days of naming your son or daughter with your own name and adding a second, third or a fourth sign in roman numerals at the end are fading away. This seems to be especially the case with celebrities. The more unique, the better! As to whether celebrities are simply a little loopy, or whether they simply like the attention that a unique baby name will bring, we do not know. What we do know is that the names just keep getting crazier and crazier. Below is a list of some of our favorite celebrity baby names over the years.

Banjo - Patrick & Rachel Griffiths
This choice of name was based on the main character from 'The man who came to dinner'

Apple - Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin
We don't even think the parents understand why they chose this name!

Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lilly, Fifi Trixibelle, Peaches Honeyblossom - Paula Yates
Definetely three of the most 'out there' names in the history of baby names!

Jett - John Travolta & Kelly Preston
Well, John has always loved airplanes, so we'll let them get away with this one

Zowie - David Bowie
Doesn't seem that bad, until you realise that with the last name it makes "Zowie Bowie"

Rumer Glenn, Tallulah Belle, Scout LaRue - Bruce Willis & Demi Moore
At least there are some normal names mixed in there, but still among our craziest!

Daisey Boo - Jamie Oliver
Typical celebrity, had to chuck in the "Boo" at the end.

Pilot Inspektor - Scott Lee & Beth Riesgrat
This kid is going to have a hard time at school

Milo - Ricky Lake
This is okay, just so long as she doesn't name her second child "Otis"

Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q - Bono
Bono had definetely put some thought into this one!

Prince Michael, Prince Michael II, Paris Michael - Michael Jackson
We think this is just too many Michaels for one house hold

Dexter, Diane Keaton
Only just acceptable for a boy, but would you believe this is her daughters name?

Moon Unit, Ahmet Emuukha Roden, Dreezil, Diva - Frank Zappa
Once again, among the craziest baby names in history

Ocean, True, Sonnet - Forest Whitaker
We dont't mind the name Sonnet, but you can make your own mind up on the other two

Betty Kitten, Honey Kinney, Harvey Kirby - Jane Goldman & Jonathan Ross
We wouldn't name our kids these names, but they do have a nice ring to them

there's more

http://www.namestobe.com/celebrity-article.html

YNKYH8R
10-05-2005, 08:22 AM
The only reason these unqiue names come under scrutiny is because they are celbrities. I would imagine the first person to name their child 'summer' got crap too. Now it's common.

Willow
10-05-2005, 08:25 AM
I love the names Phineas and Hazel. Julia Roberts gave those names to her twins.

tigger4
10-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Personally I like it. But then again all of my kids have unique names.

justme23
10-05-2005, 09:18 AM
The only reason these unqiue names come under scrutiny is because they are celbrities. I would imagine the first person to name their child 'summer' got crap too. Now it's common.

That's true. I have a friend who named her daughter Candle Raine. I would imagine if they were famous that they'd get quite a bit of crap about it, but w/ the exception of her mother, everyone else loves it.

Daisy Duke
10-05-2005, 09:42 AM
TIgger what are your kids names if you dont mind me asking?

Mine are Makayla Courtney and Zander Jon , not to weird but different to us

andreame70
10-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I caught a lot of of flack from my parents and a few others about my son's name. I still don't understand why they had a problem with it at first. It has grown on them now I suppose, at least they don't make comments about it anymore. His name is Nash Jameson. He is the only child at school with the name Nash, so everyone knows who he is. I happen to love it (and him) myself. I use his pic as my avatar on the left.
<---------------------------
Andrea

Shann
10-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Andrea, I love that name too :) I'm all for originality also, but there is a line I draw.. I wouldn't want to be named Apple or some of the others :p

As for "Superman" they did point this out on the Daily Show last night so other people have caught on to where the name came from. Once I heard it pronounced (not a superman fan) I actually like it. :)

Alls I can say is thankfully once we are 18 we can change our names if we see fit LOL of course I'm happy w/ my name, but there is one person I met that I don't think he should have kept his name.. apparantly his parents didn't care for him and never treated him well and had to give him a crappy name to rub it in. :(

tigger4
10-05-2005, 05:56 PM
My oldest son is named Kaelan Noah. My oldest dot is Tieryn Rayne, my middle dot is named Macaria Noelle and my youngest dot is named Jadsiah Daelyn.

ckahanshaw
10-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Being the parent means you get to name your kids. Nic Cages wife is of asian desent. Kal-el looks somewhat asian so it could have been a compromise.

I am sooooooo tired of people judging kids names.....My kids are Ari, Dre and Ray...Raymond doesn't have to here anything he got the normal short name. Ari is a Jewish name and I live in eastern Ky, not to many jews here so everyone thinks I have made up this new name. My mom would only call her Ari-beth for the first year or so..her middle name is Elizabeth. She finally realized that I was the mom and I named her her name, deal with it! Then I had my son Dre--really Dreydan Alexander We call him Dre like "dr.dre" I had a friend with a son named Brayden..I liked it but couldn't name him the same name so I changed it up. My mom refuses to write Dre on anything she always puts Drey...So pissed, even his school couldn't get it right, they were teaching him in pre-school last year to spell his name wrong. dreydon...OMG read all the papers I have sent in...I write clear...???????

Why would I want to name my kids some name that 100 other people have in school, Like Nash everyone at school knows Ari. I love it, and next year they will all know Dre.

JMHO

hotwheelstx
10-09-2005, 01:02 PM
http://forums.gospelcom.net/view/hollywoodjesus/smallville/view_post?id=9

Hello,

When I started examining the underlying symbolism in Smallville I decided to examine the names Kalel and Kent in the ancient Afrosemitic languages that also includes Hebrew.

1. Kalel or Kal-El is an angelic name that suggests right away that Clark Kent a.k.a. Superman is an angel. More specifically an angel of God. Moreover, if a Biblical viewpoint is used as the original writers appeared to have in mind, then Kal-El is one of the
Sons of God (Elohim).

2. Kal has many meanings that center around the supernatural. In a number of Smallville episodes involving Clark's misadventures in Metropolis, he called himself "Kal." Morgan Edge, the crime boss, called him "Kal" too. Kal means "with lightness," or "swiftness," and it is associated with the root word/name "Hal." Kal and Hal mean "everything" or "all." Thus, Kal-El means:
- "everything that is God."
- "all that is God."
- "all that God is."
- "Lightness of God."
- "Swiftness of God."
This is a pretty accurate description of how Clark Kent goes about "saving the day."

3. Let's not forget that Kal-El, the Son of God in the Kryptonian pantheon is of the House of El. Now in the ancient Hebrew mythology angels are of the House of El (specifically Yahweh). El means "God" or "of God."

4. Kal is the earliest form of AL and EL (Supreme God as male) who is the Son of the Woman (Supreme God as Mother). KAL describes the "the god who fulfills what he promises," the True Voice of God (Logos, Word of God). In the Afro-Semitic languages, like ancient Egyptian, Kal has these meanings and more. Kal=Hal= Ar, Har, Khar, and Khart. These are descriptions of the Divine Child who was known as Heru the Child. The Greeks derived the words/names such as Hero, Horus, and Heracles from this name. Clark is the predestined World Hero and World Ruler, a Kryptonian Heru. The destiny of the Heru in Egyptian religion is to conquer the Evil One (Set=Satan ["Set comes again"]), conquer the world,turn it into a paradise to rule over foreever. ***There are hints that for the upcoming season the relationship between Kryptonians and Egyptians will be explored, especially the ideas here.

5. Kal also translates as "the Son/Sun is God." When Kal is combined with El one meaning that can come from it is "the Son of God is God." Jorel told Clark that he was destined to rule the earth with strength, and "be god among men." The solar association of Kalel, the Heru, the Hero, and Heracles becomes very clear. The two L's in Kalel symbolize the Double-Lions of the Lamed. This is the hinderpart of the divine Lioness. In Egyptian L and R are interchangeable thus Kal becomes Kar, Khar, Khart etc. El is also Ar, Er, and Ur.

6. Kalel (Superman) has a similar biography to Moses, Jesus, Samson, and Hercules. This was the intention of the original writers of the Superman Mythos. Thus Kalel-Superman is destined to a Kryptonian World-Ruler, World-Hero, Law-Giver, and King of the World. It appears that with guidance from Jorel he would be a prophet of sorts too.

7. The stigmata on Clark Kent's chest that Jorel places on his chest as a reminder of who he is seems to change from the "S" insignia to a distinct "8." 8 is the number that represents Infinity; of death, change, and regeneration which is suggested by the Season Finale of Smallville 2004. The octagonal key to the cave wall is based upon the number 8, and the sacred cave is located on Route 8. 888 is the number value of Jesus Christ.

8. If one examines the description of the wrathful Divine Warrior-Hero of the Revelation of John there is a superficial resemblance of Superman to this figure. Superman coming on the clouds to save the day, eyes burning as a flame of fire (heat vision) and able to look into the true nature of things (x-ray vision), the color of war, red is a part of Superman's apparel, Superman's swift and terrible wrath against evildoers who threaten the human race he cares about etc.

9. In Egyptian mythology, Heru is called Harmakhu, the Terrible Divine Judge, "the Man of Adamantium Iron (Steel)." So you see, the Man of Steel is not a new idea. Yoruba religion has a similar figure in the male Orisha called Ogun (Divine Iron).

10. In regards to the name Kent. "Kent" in Hebrew is Knt, it appears in the Bible as "I have found a son."

Lex Luthor had better tread lightly, and not take this particular Superman for granted.

Sam

ckahanshaw
10-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Click here for a baby name database (http://parenting.aol.com/parenting/onlyonaol/pregnancy/tools/babynamer/0,20172,,00.html)

enjoy....My middle sons name is not even in the database! Yes!

3lilpigs
10-09-2005, 03:50 PM
did anyone watch Oprah the other day when she had Uma Thurmon on? They both agreed how difficult it was growing up as a child with 'unusual' or different names. Uma hated when kids made fun of her, and wished she had a regular name. (kids called her a 'UMA LOOMPA' kid.) they said sometimes parents now a days just dont think of how a name is going to affect their child in school and growing up.

**i wasnt personally judging anyone or the name they choose...i was just wondering if anyone saw the show?**

Momtothree
10-09-2005, 07:32 PM
My parents gave me a bit of trouble for my kids too. Damion, Dakotah, and Sarissa I didn't want names you could find on pencils. Unique names are great but you have to think of the kids also. I can't even pronounce Nicholas Cages sons name, how about the kids in school.

LillyMoon
10-10-2005, 01:06 PM
My kids names I guess you could say are unique my son;name is Anthony Sundance My daughter's name is Kassidy Elisabeth. My son likes his name it's unique and different he's into goth now.. My daughter likes her name also.My ex is the one that named them. Guess he like the movie Butch Kassidy and the Sundance kid! {Paul Newman & Robert Redford** I dont mind.I dont think anyone else does either I can always call my son Sun!!!! :D

iluvmybaby
10-10-2005, 02:40 PM
At least his name wasnt Apple! Here is a website of the WORST baby names in 2005 as of the beginning of the year

You named your baby WHAT?!?!?! (http://badbabynames.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_badbabynames_archive.html)

LillyMoon
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
At least his name wasnt Apple! Here is a website of the WORST baby names in 2005 as of the beginning of the year

You named your baby WHAT?!?!?! (http://badbabynames.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_badbabynames_archive.html)

I think on heard on one of those entertainment shows she was named that because she would be the apple of Daddy'ds eye??? :confused: That is definitely a different name!!!

Shann
10-10-2005, 10:39 PM
why do people get mad when other people cannot pronounce or write their children's names? What is so bad about giving your child a name that is all ready in existance? I understand being unique but it really sucks growing up and not being able to see your name on pencils and rulers. Thankfully I don't have that problem and I know that my name is not all that common... I'm very thankful for the name I've been given. :)

Lora_1994
10-11-2005, 12:49 PM
I gave my kids boring names.. they are Cody Austin, Tyler Kolten and Zachary Dane.

Had they been girls, they were going to be Krystin Celeste, Jayda Marie, & Makenna Leanne

Jolie Rouge
05-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Geri Halliwell Names Baby Bluebell Madonna

LONDON - Former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell has named her baby Bluebell Madonna. The singer also known as Ginger Spice, 33, told Hello! magazine she'd been inspired by seeing the spring flowers during her pregnancy.

"But what really clinched it for me was my mother telling me that the bluebell is increasingly rare — so it's precious flower, which seems just right for my daughter," Halliwell was quoted as saying.

Halliwell said she had chosen the middle name in honor of one of her heroines. "As she came out of my tummy, Bluebell had both arms flung wide in the air as if announcing to the world, `Hi! I'm here!'" the magazine quoted Halliwell as saying.

"She was screaming her head off, as though she was shouting, `Hello, Wembley!' No one else has that name, apart from the Virgin Madonna and the singer, whom I love."

The baby was born May 14 at London's Portland Hospital weighing 5 lbs 12 ounces.

In the Hello! interview, Halliwell made no mention of the baby's father. He is reportedly Hollywood scriptwriter Sacha Gervasi, 40.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060523/ap_en_mu/geri_halliwell;_ylt=AmIO1NzBqNqP1dfSENYpJ8qs0NUE;_ ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-

As a kid with a "unique" name it was very difficult - and to this day I have to correct the spelling and/or pronunciation. I dreamed of being named "ANN" .... :sigh: My children all have "traditional" names.

JANBAB
05-24-2006, 07:40 AM
How about Penn (from Penn & Teller) his daughter is named Moxie Crimefighter Jillette and they just named a baby boy they had something "different" also. I read it yesterday and now can't find it again!

Found it "Zolten Penn" says Zolten is his wife's maiden name.

Shancopp
05-24-2006, 09:33 AM
My nephews name is Kal-el (no dash though). I think it is very unique. Now if he'd have named the kid actually SUPERMAN...that'd be dumb, but Kalel is a unique, rarely heard name.

My family likes it.

Jolie Rouge
04-03-2007, 08:43 PM
What's in a name?

Item number one: Couple fights to name baby 'Metallica'
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/ap_on_fe_st/baby_metallica;_ylt=Ag5U3TH9pYc7mZmgHTmArQEDW7oF

Michael and Karolina Tomaro are locked in a court battle with Swedish authorities, which rejected their application to name their six-month-old child after the legendary rock band.

"It suits her," Karolina Tomaro, 27, said Tuesday of the name. "She's decisive and she knows what she wants."

Although little Metallica has already been baptized, the Swedish National Tax Board refused to register the name, saying it was associated with both the rock group and the word "metal."

Tomaro said the official handling the case also called the name "ugly."

Item number two: Appeal over baby named Jihad http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2023689,00.html

The German interior ministry is appealing against a decision by the Berlin authorities to allow an Islamist to name his son Jihad, the Arabic word used for holy war. Reda Seyam fought for 18 months for permission to give his sixth child the name after the registry in the Berlin district of Charlottenburg initially rejected his application, saying the name was inappropriate because of its association with terrorism, and "may endanger the child".

Ok, while I'm not a fan of either of those names, I am even more creeped out by these European laws regulating what parents name their babies. If they want to name their kid "Pilot Inspektor" or "Kal-El", it's certainly cruel and ridicule-worthy. But illegal? Earning the lifelong resentment of their ill-named progeny should be punishment enough.

YankeeMary
04-03-2007, 11:03 PM
When my oldest was born had he been a girl I wanted to name her Abba Zabba...thank goodness he was a boy, what was I thinking.
My sons have "normal" names Steven Lee II (after his father obviously) and Brady Wesley (Brady from my deceased brother and Wesley after my deceased grandfather, whom died 5 weeks after my brother).

buttrfli
04-04-2007, 06:11 AM
I wanted to name my girls Lyric and Echo .... cuz DH is a musician LOL

I still think they are pretty names, but he didn't go for it.

OTOH.... had we had a boy, he wanted to name him Robert Vaughn :eek:

Thanks God for little girls! LOL

SarahSEG
04-04-2007, 07:13 AM
My best friend from college beat Nicholos Cage to the punch. Her sons name is Silas Kal-el. He is 3, so born before Kal-El Cage. And yes, it is after Superman, her husband is a giant comic book collector. They call him Kal for short. They even brought him home from the hospital in a onsie with the Superman logo on it.

Her next one, she stole from Julia Roberts and named Phineas Peregrin. They got Peregrin from the Lord of the Rings. They call him Phin.

I dont know when they went crazy. Their first child, now 14, is Trevor James.

buglebe
04-04-2007, 11:57 AM
I think unusual names can be nice. I have read studies done years ago that children with unusual names got less teacher recognition than students with more traditional names. My children all 3 got traditional names. But my grandchildren don't and I do think their names are beautiful. I love my name , it is Sondra but people have such a hard time saying it and it bothers me so much. I would never name a child that for that reason. I don't understand why it is hard to say. But it is too close to Sandra. I run into classmates or people I have known in the past and I so often get Sandra. :eek: I don't understand it. My girlfriends name is Carolyn and she gets Carol a lot. Both pretty names but if your name is Sondra or Carolyn, Sandra and Carol just don't get it. I sometimes even get Sonya or Sandy. I don't mind Sandy but I think when people call me Sandra they don't care enough about me to learn my name. My grandchildren are Adena Rain , and Rowan Tanner. Ok I have had my say about my name, LOL, now when you all run into me downtown you know it is Sondra.:)

STARLIGHT
04-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Okay, where as I do not wish to name my children anything whacked out- I really do not want it to be too common- therefore- my sons name is DALLAS KABEL- yes the middle name came off of a western!!!! On a better note you can adapt to anyname- my first name is samanda-listed on NO database-combo of samantha and amanda!!!! My fiances name is Robin- LAST NAME HOOD-No joke!!! We do well with our names!!!!

kidzpca
04-06-2007, 12:15 PM
To each there own but I draw the line at...

Sh*thead.

And I'm not kiddin' as I work in pediatrics in a local hospital...

mnvdriver
04-06-2007, 04:42 PM
There is a little boy in kindergarten here named BUBBA. Yes that is his legal name!!

earnhardt1
04-06-2007, 05:27 PM
i named my son blain becasue it is uncommon and after his daddy

Jolie Rouge
04-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I went to school with a girl who named her son "Bubba" - officailly - on the child's birth certificate. :shakes head: Poor kid.

I used to have a FOAF who refered to his three year old as "butthead" - all the time. "It doesn't mean anything - it' means what I want it to mean - it is just a joke - he doesn't know ..." So me and a few other people started to refer to him as ***hole - all the time. Addressed mail to him as well. WHen he complained we spouted his own words back ... "It doesn't mean anything - it' means what I want it to mean - it is just a joke - he doesn't know ..."

He found a new nickname for his son.

jedmatters
04-06-2007, 08:06 PM
To each there own but I draw the line at...

Sh*thead.

And I'm not kiddin' as I work in pediatrics in a local hospital...

One of my husband's students is ...
Shi#head.

Pronounced:
Shaa Theed.......

But anyone who writes it, writes Shi#head.

Lovely.:eek:

Vixen
04-07-2007, 07:31 AM
My sons name is Blain too

deb_gar
04-08-2007, 07:20 AM
growing up, I had a long last name and used to hate first day of school, having to pronounce it for new teachers. And they never got it right anyway, LOL.
My kids are normal names, Diane, Jennifer, Kelly and Gary. They never had problems with their names so now my grandkids are Brianna, Rylee, and Landon.(due in June) Not too unusall, but not as common.

earnhardt1
04-08-2007, 08:07 AM
My sons name is Blain too

wow thats so weird.... how old?

Mom2-3boys
04-09-2007, 07:10 AM
My husband had picked the name Trail for a boy :eek: I wasn't fond of it at all! We named our 2nd son Madison and to this day everyone tells us it's a girls name and we should have named him Mattison, well if it had not been in the boys name section in the name book he wouldn't have been named Madison besides we didn't want him being call Matt. Our other boys are Carson and Gavin. Carson at the time wasn't that popular, but I am hearing it more and more and even for a couple girls.

MistyWolf
04-09-2007, 09:09 AM
wow thats so weird.... how old?

I work with a guy named Blaine .. not one of my favorite people, but I do like the name. Reminds me of "Pretty In Pink."

I like different names too .. my girls are named Erin Lynn and Emily Morgan. If I had a boy, he'd be named Ryan Matthew.

At first I thought Apple was an odd name, but the more I hear it, I actually think it's pretty.

Rosina823
04-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I dont really care for weird unusual names for boys, but for girls I do..I have Nicholas Ryan, and Paige Marie...I have heard some really weird names in thise baby books..Like Rock..why would you name your kid Rock?

earnhardt1
04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
hubby is always tellin everyone there is no e on his name..... for some reason it bugs him..

but there is a funny story here for his name...
our wedding was 3/17/07 and the priest kept calling him brian unitl one of the girl coughed BLAIN so right before our vows he started calling him BLAIN... it was so funny in most of the pics you see me and the moh and best man laughing

MistyWolf
04-09-2007, 10:32 AM
double post

MistyWolf
04-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't blame your hubby .. guy I work with is Blaine with an E .. When I tell ppl my name I say Anne with an E .. lol.

And when I mention my daughter, I have to say Erin with an E .. they will ask .. duh she is a girl therefore it's an E .. lol .. but I have seen it Aryn for a girl so you never know.

Shancopp
04-09-2007, 12:03 PM
my nephews name is Kal el. Same reason... dad likes superman. I like it!!

Vixen
04-09-2007, 12:09 PM
He is 18 now

Kelsey1224
04-09-2007, 12:15 PM
My name is obviously "Kelsey"...(well...maybe not that obvious.)

I'm 56 years old and was the only "Kelsey" that I knew growing up. As a child, I hated being different. However, now I love my name.

It has become a really trendy name during the last 10 years or so. My daughter is a teacher and she said that she always has at least one Kelsey in her class.

On the other side though, I actually thought of using it for my daughter...but then realized that I would be "Big Kelsey" for the rest of my life. So I reconsidered that!

cubsgirl21
04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
My hubby and I are trying to get preggos soon, and my problem lies with my MIL. She is throwing a fit because of the last name. I refuse to change my name, and hubby and I have agreed that a girl would get my last name and a boy gets hubby's last name. MIL is telling me I'll be a terrible parent b/c kids wouldn't have the same last names. She said the kids would turn out weird.

My favorite weird name is Trout. Some guy a few years ago changed his name to Trout Fishing. I just find it amusing.

Shancopp
04-10-2007, 03:44 AM
My hubby and I are trying to get preggos soon, and my problem lies with my MIL. She is throwing a fit because of the last name. I refuse to change my name, and hubby and I have agreed that a girl would get my last name and a boy gets hubby's last name. MIL is telling me I'll be a terrible parent b/c kids wouldn't have the same last names. She said the kids would turn out weird.

My favorite weird name is Trout. Some guy a few years ago changed his name to Trout Fishing. I just find it amusing.

I'm afraid I agree w/ MIL. I wouldn't give my kids different last names on purpose. If they had different dads, that's different, obviously. Can you use the other last name as a middle name or hyphenate yours and DH's last names together for the kids, no matter the sex?

cubsgirl21
04-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm afraid I agree w/ MIL. I wouldn't give my kids different last names on purpose. If they had different dads, that's different, obviously. Can you use the other last name as a middle name or hyphenate yours and DH's last names together for the kids, no matter the sex?

I do not and will not ever hyphenate my name or change it for that matter. I just don't see why kids should automatically get my hubby's name. It's not fair to me and what I believe in. I've actually met a lot of families that have given the kids different last names and it's been working for them. I just don't see how the kid's last name would make me a horrible parent as my MIL claims.

Shancopp
04-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I do not and will not ever hyphenate my name or change it for that matter. I just don't see why kids should automatically get my hubby's name. It's not fair to me and what I believe in. I've actually met a lot of families that have given the kids different last names and it's been working for them. I just don't see how the kid's last name would make me a horrible parent as my MIL claims.

I never said you'd be a horrible parent. Your MIL may have, but I didn't. I said I don't like the idea of the kids having different last names. That's my opinion. If you wanted everyone to agree with your way of thinking, should have added that to your original post. :rolleyes:

cubsgirl21
04-10-2007, 08:48 AM
I never said you'd be a horrible parent. Your MIL may have, but I didn't. I said I don't like the idea of the kids having different last names. That's my opinion. If you wanted everyone to agree with your way of thinking, should have added that to your original post. :rolleyes:

Whoa whoa whoa, where in any of my posts did I state that I wanted everyone to agree w/ me? It's a vent/whine section.

I completely respect your opinion, as I do everyone elses. All I did was answer your post about hyphenating. But apparently I came off harsh to you???

Shancopp
04-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Whoa whoa whoa, where in any of my posts did I state that I wanted everyone to agree w/ me? It's a vent/whine section.

I completely respect your opinion, as I do everyone elses. All I did was answer your post about hyphenating. But apparently I came off harsh to you???

I didn't say that you wanted everyone to agree w/ you. I said IF you wanted everyone to agree with you, should have put it in your original post. It just seemed to me that you didn't like an opinion that wasn't the same as yours. No big deal really. :confused:

cubsgirl21
04-10-2007, 09:39 AM
I didn't say that you wanted everyone to agree w/ you. I said IF you wanted everyone to agree with you, should have put it in your original post. It just seemed to me that you didn't like an opinion that wasn't the same as yours. No big deal really. :confused:

I'm just as confused as you are. All I did was answer your post about hypenating names. I respect your opinions completely, same as I would for anyone else. I'm confused as to why you think that I don't like your opinion. Did I come across harsh to you? Sorry if I did.

I'm all for people's opinions about this. I think it's interesting to see what people think about this. I've kept my name for personal and professional reasons. One of my grad school professors gave their kids two different last names, that's where I got the idea from.

Kelsey1224
04-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Take it from someone who hyphenated her last name 30 years ago...I would not recommend it nor would I do it again!!! Even in this day and age, most computer systems can't accomodate a hyphenated last name. Because different cultures (all of whom reside in the United Stated) differ on which name goes first in a hyphenated last name, people have no idea how to address you. Just last week, an attorney asked for my name and address so he could mail me information on an employee. When I started to spell my last name, he exclaimed, "I refuse to use hyphenated last names!". My response was, "Then I guess you don't want me to get the documents then!" Needless to say, he took down my last name...hyphen and all!

If I could go back and change it I would. Unfortunately, my "identity" is totally enscounced in my hyphenated last name...credit history, property, etc.

I personally think it is a wonderful idea to give the daughters the surname of the mother and the son's the surname of the father. Why should the father's name be the only one carried on? Plus...many other cultures already do that exact same thing.

People always go on about children having differing names than their parents and how that affects them negatively. I've never seen that this is truly the case. My first husband and I divorced when our daughter was little and I took back my maiden name. I later remarried. My daughter and I never had the same last name when she attended school. Other than a teacher occasionally addressing me by my daughter's last name, there was never any problem with it. And I certainly never let that little confusion on the teacher's part bother me. My daughter only once expressed a desire to change her name to her step-father's name...and that was because it was a shorter name...LOL...not because having a different last name was creating problems for her.

JMHO...

Shancopp
04-10-2007, 10:02 AM

This is your original reply to my first post in this thread. You state, "I do not and will not ever hyphenate my name or change it for that matter." I was not asking if you would hyphenate YOUR name, but the kids. Such as "Sally Ann Smith-Jones" or whatever your last names are (yours and DH's). Also, I mentioned if your or your DH's last names would be cool to use as a middle name. Just trying to think of ways to compromise to make it less of an ordeal for your family. Maybe someday, the daughter may wonder why she didn't get the same last name as Dad and brother? You've got to admit, it is the norm for kids/wives to have Dad's last name. She may wonder why she didn't?

Heck, my DH's exwife got remarried and then divorced. She then took back my DH's name so that her daughter by DH and her would again have the same last name. It didn't bother me or DH one bit.

cubsgirl21
04-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Hubby and I both have long last names. I don't like the idea of hyphenating for myself or kids for that and other reasons. I do appeaciate the suggestion though.

I just don't see why the man's name should automatically be given to the kids. It doesn't seem fair to me. My MIL is the only family member who has a problem with our choice.

MistyWolf
04-10-2007, 10:34 AM
It seems to be tradition that the children get the mans last name, but I say do what makes you happy. It isn't hurting anyone and your MIL will get over it .. if not, oh well, they are your children. All it should matter to is you and your hubby.

cubsgirl21
04-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I told MIL that her biggest concern shouldn't be what last name I use and what last name the kids would get. We've been married for almost 7 years, and she's still not over it. In the end, it's our choice just as it's her choice to be a part of her grandkids lives.

mamalamas
04-11-2007, 04:23 AM
That is a strange name they picked for the baby ... but each their own right?! I am sure there are people outside of Hollywood that do much worse .. we just don't know about it ;)

I thought Apple was the weirdest thing when I hear it ... what are they going to name their next baby? Banana? Orange? Perhaps pineapple? LOL

cubsgirl21
04-11-2007, 07:56 AM
I thought Apple was the weirdest thing when I hear it ... what are they going to name their next baby? Banana? Orange? Perhaps pineapple? LOL

Their son is named Moses.

Jolie Rouge
04-24-2007, 01:21 PM
[Mel B. names baby daughter after Murphy
Tue Apr 24, 10:54 AM ET

NEW YORK - Melanie Brown has given her baby daughter the surname of ex-boyfriend Eddie Murphy, the former Spice Girl said in a statement Tuesday.

Brown, 31, gave birth to Angel Iris Murphy Brown on April 3 in Santa Monica, Calif. She listed Murphy's name on the birth certificate.

She said the name was inspired by a number of things. "Angel, as she was my little angel through my pregnancy. Iris, as it's my grandma's name, Murphy because he's the dad, and Brown, because I'm the Mum!" the statement said.

Murphy, 46, has said he's not sure he's the father.

Brown, known as Scary Spice when she was in the megahit group of the '90s, has an 8-year-old daughter, Phoenix Chi.

Murphy, whose screen credits include "Dreamgirls," has five children from his marriage to Nicole Mitchell Murphy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070424/ap_on_en_mu/people_brown_murphy;_ylt=AmzcdZYf8gergB3AMCyFLpas0 NUE

Considering she called herself "Scary Spice", Angel isn't half bad ... but that poor older child :rolleyes:

Berkley69
04-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Celebs make me sick, everything they do is retarded. No offense to any of you who had a Chihuahua before the dumb blonde made it a trend, somehow.

Jolie Rouge
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a baby...
Wed Aug 8, 9:23 AM ET

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - A New Zealand couple is looking to call their newborn son Superman -- but only because their chosen name of 4Real has been rejected by the government registry.

Pat and Sheena Wheaton say they will get around the decision by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages by officially naming their son Superman but referring to him as 4Real, the New Zealand Herald newspaper has reported.

The Wheatons decided on the name after seeing the baby for the first time in an ultrasound scan and realizing their baby was "for real."

They decided 4Real was the best way to write it, but the name was rejected because the registrar said a name had to be a sequence of characters.

Pat Wheaton said he was considering appealing against the decision through the courts, but whatever happens he won't be budged on his choice.

"No matter what its going to stay 4Real," Wheaton told the Herald, "I'm certainly not a quitter."

A spokesman for the Department of Internal Affairs, which operates the registry told the Herald discussions with the Wheatons about their son's name were continuing.

The baby is now two months old, after the Wheatons first applied to register his name in later June.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070808/od_nm/newzealand_name_odd_dc;_ylt=AsQm7PQ2HLO4sZkGGRGx_T Ws0NUE

PrincessArky
08-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a baby...
Wed Aug 8, 9:23 AM ET

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - A New Zealand couple is looking to call their newborn son Superman -- but only because their chosen name of 4Real has been rejected by the government registry.

Pat and Sheena Wheaton say they will get around the decision by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages by officially naming their son Superman but referring to him as 4Real, the New Zealand Herald newspaper has reported.

The Wheatons decided on the name after seeing the baby for the first time in an ultrasound scan and realizing their baby was "for real."

They decided 4Real was the best way to write it, but the name was rejected because the registrar said a name had to be a sequence of characters.

Pat Wheaton said he was considering appealing against the decision through the courts, but whatever happens he won't be budged on his choice.

"No matter what its going to stay 4Real," Wheaton told the Herald, "I'm certainly not a quitter."

A spokesman for the Department of Internal Affairs, which operates the registry told the Herald discussions with the Wheatons about their son's name were continuing.

The baby is now two months old, after the Wheatons first applied to register his name in later June.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070808/od_nm/newzealand_name_odd_dc;_ylt=AsQm7PQ2HLO4sZkGGRGx_T Ws0NUE

I remember that story had always wondered if they were able to name him 4real or not lol

Personally I think alot of ppl not just the rich and famous give their kids completely stupid names no days but then again maybe someone wouldnt like the names I gave to my kids either lol

Lasher
08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
I hate my name, my dad named me after some slut bar maid in a Looking Glass song, just changed the way it was spelled. Common name but didn't make me hate it any less, especially when everyone would start singing that damn song.

ahippiechic
08-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I was named after some witch or something on Dark Shadows. *RME*

ladybugva
08-08-2007, 01:37 PM
There is always Seven or Soda like George liked in Seinfeld.

DBackFan
08-08-2007, 01:44 PM
I hate my name, my dad named me after some slut bar maid in a Looking Glass song, just changed the way it was spelled. Common name but didn't make me hate it any less, especially when everyone would start singing that damn song.

I could see why you hate the song if you hate your name but Brandy is one of my favorites and not just to drink ;)

andreame70
08-08-2007, 04:57 PM
For many years, my little brother swore that when he had children he would name his first born son, Mister. He said it would be awesome for the child's teacher and other adults to have to call the child "Mister" so and so.

I thought this was horrendous and I begged him not to do it. Well, he has two boys now and he grew up a little. I am proud to say that I now have a nephew named Cameron and one named Bryce. Much better IMO.

Lasher
08-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I could see why you hate the song if you hate your name but Brandy is one of my favorites and not just to drink ;)

Yeah he thought he'd make it better if he changed the y to an i, hate the song lol

Tasha405
08-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I think Brandi is a pretty name. :coy

Lasher
08-08-2007, 07:41 PM
I think Brandi is a pretty name. :coy

You're biased lol

ilovecats
08-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey,This is funny. If my son(19)had been A girl he would of been named Brandy(I always liked the song and name)I did have A daughter 18 months later and 5 1/2 years later.Neither one of them are named Brandy.I do still like the name though.:)

suprtruckr
08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
I was named after some witch or something on Dark Shadows. *RME*

:rolling i used to fly off the school bus and run 1/4 mile to the house just to watch that show

Tasha405
08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
You're biased lol

Can't help it. :love:

Jolie Rouge
08-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Mel B. names baby daughter after Murphy
Tue Apr 24, 10:54 AM ET

NEW YORK - Melanie Brown has given her baby daughter the surname of ex-boyfriend Eddie Murphy, the former Spice Girl said in a statement Tuesday.

Brown, 31, gave birth to Angel Iris Murphy Brown on April 3 in Santa Monica, Calif. She listed Murphy's name on the birth certificate.

She said the name was inspired by a number of things. "Angel, as she was my little angel through my pregnancy. Iris, as it's my grandma's name, Murphy because he's the dad, and Brown, because I'm the Mum!" the statement said.

Murphy, 46, has said he's not sure he's the father.

Brown, known as Scary Spice when she was in the megahit group of the '90s, has an 8-year-old daughter, Phoenix Chi.

Murphy, whose screen credits include "Dreamgirls," has five children from his marriage to Nicole Mitchell Murphy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070424/ap_on_en_mu/people_brown_murphy;_ylt=AmzcdZYf8gergB3AMCyFLpas0 NUE

Considering she called herself "Scary Spice", Angel isn't half bad ... but that poor older child :rolleyes:

Spice Girl Brown married since June
1 hour, 10 minutes ago

LAS VEGAS - Spice Girl Melanie Brown, who gave birth to Eddie Murphy's daughter in April, married her boyfriend, Steven Belafonte, in June, according to Clark County marriage records.

Murphy acknowledged his paternity of Brown's daughter, Angel, last week, one day after the 32-year-old singer took legal action to establish him as the parent.

Belafonte is a movie producer whose recent credits include "Sisters" and "Thank You for Smoking." Brown was known as Scary Spice when she performed with the Spice Girls, whom she'll join for the band's reunion tour in December and January.

A marriage certificate filed with Clark County, which encompasses Las Vegas, lists the date of the couple's nuptials as June 6. It does not state exactly where they were married.

An email to Brown's publicist was not immediately returned.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070809/ap_en_mu/people_melanie_brown;_ylt=AjiaEiqYht3cuVW2YSo0oYYn HL8C

hhmmmmm.....

Jolie Rouge
08-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Chinese couple tried to name baby "@"
Thu Aug 16, 3:04 AM ET

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese couple tried to name their baby "@", claiming the character used in e-mail addresses echoed their love for the child, an official trying to whip the national language into line said on Thursday.

The unusual name stands out especially in Chinese, which has no alphabet and instead uses tens of thousands of multi-stroke characters to represent words. "The whole world uses it to write e-mail, and translated into Chinese it means 'love him'," the father explained, according to the deputy chief of the State Language Commission Li Yuming.

While the "@" simple is familiar to Chinese e-mail users, they often use the English word "at" to sound it out -- which with a drawn out "T" sounds something like "ai ta", or "love him", to Mandarin speakers.

Li told a news conference on the state of the language that the name was an extreme example of people's increasingly adventurous approach to Chinese, as commercialisation and the Internet break down conventions.

Another couple tried to give their child a name that rendered into English sounds like "King Osrina."

Li did not say if officials accepted the "@" name. But earlier this year the government announced a ban on names using Arabic numerals, foreign languages and symbols that do not belong to Chinese minority languages.

Sixty million Chinese faced the problem that their names use ancient characters so obscure that computers cannot recognise them and even fluent speakers were left scratching their heads, said Li, according to a transcript of the briefing on the government Web site (www.gov.cn).

One of them was the former Premier Zhu Rongji, whose name had a rare "rong" character that gave newspaper editors headaches.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070816/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_china_language;_ylt=Aid6TxXNxTD_yuXnnsRaj z2s0NUE

lisarae
08-16-2007, 07:02 AM
idiots....

ladybugva
08-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Some time I think parents don't think of their kids when they name then and what they might go through. They just sit around and make up things I think. My maiden name is Flowers and I had a guy ask me once why my parents didn't name me rose or something like that and I told him "b/c they like me". LOL

There is a clip of guys on the Man show who had bad names like Jack Hoff and another one I can't remember his first name but the last was Dick (I knew some one w/ that name) but his sister as Anita.

My first was Jacob -8- and theres wasn't a lot of them at the time but it became popular about the same time. So the next is Baylor. We didn't go to the school but wanted something different w/o being too off the wall. Third id Evan, plain and simple but I have a nefiew who's last name is Sebastian just b/c they liked it and a cousin who's what their child, if its a son, to be called Achillies. She doesn't like it so I figures its a no go unless they put it in the middle.

Jolie Rouge
07-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Most Popular Baby Names Change Dramatically
Jeanna Bryner - Senior Writer LiveScience.com
Tue Jul 8, 4:41 PM ET

The 1960s brought us baby names such as April and Sunshine, and naming new Americans has never been the same. So when Sunday Rose Kidman Urban was born this week, the baby of an actress and a country western singer, news of her distinctive name created only a small stir. While many parents still hew to traditional names, U.S. babies now are tagged with an ever-increasing diversity of names for which the inspirations range from the calendar to languages from afar.

The top 10 baby names from 1950 look nothing like today. Here's the list from 1950, according to the U.S. Social Security Administration:

Most popular boy/girl baby names in 1950:

1. James / Linda
2. Robert / Mary
3. John / Patricia
4. Michael / Barbara
5. David / Susan
6. William / Nancy
7. Richard / Deborah
8. Thomas / Sandra
9. Charles / Carol
10. Gary / Kathleen

Here's the list from last year:

1. Jacob / Emily
2. Michael / Isabella
3. Ethan / Emma
4. Joshua / Ava
5. Daniel / Madison
6. Christopher / Sophia
7. Anthony / Olivia
8. William / Abigail
9. Matthew / Hannah
10. Andrew / Elizabeth

The name Mary had a long go, staying at No. 1 baby girl name from the 1880s through the 1950s, while John was one of the top five boy names during that same period. Parental preference for Michael took off in the 1950s, holding strong to this day.

The diversity in U.S. baby names has exploded since the 1950s. Back then, a quarter of all boys and girls got one of the top 10 baby names, according to Laura Wattenberg, author of "The Baby Name Wizard" (Broadway, 2005). In recent times, the top 10 names account for only one tenth of all baby names, Wattenberg writes. Her blog has an interactive tool that displays the historical popularity of thousands of names from the 1880s to now.

When it comes to contemporary inspiration, the days of the week are just one of the everyday resources from which folks snag new baby names.

Celebrities especially seem to reach far and wide lately, with baby names ranging from fruits (Apple Blythe Alison Martin, born to Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin) to colors (Fuchsia Catherine Sumner, born to Sting and Frances Tomelty) to plants (Poppy Honey Oliver, born to Jamie Oliver and Juliette Norton.

Movies can also cause a name to leap in popularity. While historically, the name Madison was more associated with boys than girls, the feminine usage took off in the 1980s and became ranked 29th as a female baby name in the 1990s, according to the Social Security Administration. Some say the movie "Splash," which came out in 1984, is behind the boom. (Daryl Hannah's mermaid character was named Madison after the street name in New York City.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080708/sc_livescience/mostpopularbabynameschangedramatically;_ylt=Amwpqj r4sqO3MksPuOc1kL.zvtEF

See also : http://www.bigbigforums.com/off-topic-chat/576368-worst-baby-names-ancestry-com.html

RavenSek
07-08-2008, 11:12 PM
M daughters names are Peach and Kaida... Very strange names but I feel really fit them. I get alot of grief for the Peach one but I think its beautiful her fathers name is Mario (points if you figure out her name meaning) I have always liked odd named I guess because mines so old fashioned "Lillian".
My family even has our own passed down weird name "Lewette" its been in our family for over 100 years.

ssgjeg
07-09-2008, 01:12 AM
My bul actually named his son Sir Anthony. It's actually on his birth certificate this way. The idiot thought if his first name was Sir then the kid would be royalty. Needless to say, he goes by Tony and refuses to sign any documents as Sir.

Mine are:

Jess Randell
Cord Jason
Jamie Dell
Jordan Tate

Cord's is the strangest. He was named after a character on a soap his dad liked. To each his own I guess.

ladybugva
07-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Nicole Kidman just had her baby and named her Sunday

I liked Cord he was on One Life to Live.

ssgjeg
07-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Yep. That was the one. Dh didn't think anyone could make fun of that name. But they've come up with: Cordelia, Quarters (my favorite), Courtney, Quarterback. And tonight my 2 y/o started calling him Carter (from Stargate SG-1). He's the only one who gets picked on about his name.

155oaks
07-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I have named my girls and love their names

but I have SO MANY nick names for them people actually believe it's there real name
my oldest I call boo boo, hubba bubba, chicky, gayle, abba, ce-ce, co-co
my youngest I am know to call sarie, lolly-pop, jesse, barbie, jovi, pumpkin, co-co

Jolie Rouge
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Romijn and O'Connell Welcome Twin Girls

Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell are celebrating after the "Ugly Betty" actress gave birth to twin girls. The baby news was broken by the couple's close pal, DJ Howard Stern, on his Sirius radio show on Monday, and Romijn's publicist Lewis Kay confirmed the news. Kay says, "Mother, father and both girls are all home and doing well."

Romijn, who was previously married to "E.R." actor John Stamos, wed O'Connell in 2007 and the baby girls, named Dolly Rebecca Rose and Charlie Tamara Tulip, are the couple's first children together. The girls reportedly were born Dec. 28.

And O'Connell has already revealed plans to be a strict parent to his kids, recently joking, "Just the fact that they're girls, you know? I don't want them to date. They're only allowed to date men who run countries. They're only allowed to date men who are heir to the throne or are currently running a nation."

Charlie - for a girl ?? Name her something like "Charleen" and use Charlie as a nickname - same for Dolly...

Shann
01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Charlie - for a girl ?? Name her something like "Charleen" and use Charlie as a nickname - same for Dolly...

I saw that.. yuck! I agree w/ you, I hate when ppl name their kids names that are better suited for the opposite sex, ex Bobbi and Charlie for girls.. yuck yuck yuck :thumpdown:

dawn827
01-08-2009, 01:32 PM
My daughter's are named:
Chloe Violet & Dakota Monet
We wanted something different for the both of them but not too different.

ElleGee
01-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Dolly is a horrible name UGH.. Charlie is just plain silly.

fleabones3
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM
17 1/2 yrs ago I named my oldest son Colton Michael. I got Colton off General Hospital.. never heard of another kid with it.. then as soon as I named him.. 499 more coltons came lol
2nd kid is Cody James.. next is Dustin Connor, then Jesse Tyler and last but not least Bethany Nicole.

I do like unusual names.. but.. you do have to sit and consider what you are naming your kid, and how other kids can make fun of it, or it can be misconstrued. Also, watch what the initials spell out. Life is hard enough, why make it harder on your child by giving it a name like Moon Unit, etc etc.
I am not saying to please everyone give it a traditional name.. but come on.. Pilot Inspektor, Bubba, Trout, Scout, etc.. thats plain mean

MistyWolf
01-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I actually like the name Charlie .. reminds me of the perfume that was so popular back in the day.

As for Dolly, not a fan, but whatever floats your boat.

Anniston
01-09-2009, 07:04 AM
I kid you not, we have a Sherwood Forest (child) in our neighborhood. Poor kid.

stetne
01-09-2009, 04:43 PM
My kids names are normal but they weren't going to be....My daughter is Shelby Renee but I wanted to name her Alexandrite Lexus (alexandrite is my birthstone and 16 years ago lexus was my favorite car). My twin sons names are Nolan Alexander and Nathan William. My hubby wanted to name one of them Nolan and the other Ryan (Nolan Ryan is one of his favorite baseball players).

Anniston
01-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I love the name "Shelby". That is so cool. You know what? I knew someone who had a Lexus, Mercedes and Unique for their three girls names (first names). That was a bit much.

ElleGee
01-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Lisa Bonet (from the Cosby show) just had a baby and named it

Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa.

No I really do wish I were lying

cathych
01-09-2009, 08:17 PM
I was wondering if someone had posted the Lisa Bonet thing, I was to if no one else had. I tried to name my boys names that they would not have a difficult time with. I know that school kids can be really cruel regarding names.

cutie76
01-09-2009, 08:19 PM
my daughters names are Dakota Lynn and Arizona Paige. I get asked all the time if I am going for all 50 states! Lol

Jolie Rouge
02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
I am sad to say this is my family. :rolleyes: My cousin and his wife had beautiful girls late Sunday night.... twit was watching the game on the TV during delivery.... and for some unknown reason ... :sigh: they named the twins "Bryn" and "Brees" :slap:

WHY ??????

ElleGee
02-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh dear....

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I am sad to say this is my family. :rolleyes: My cousin and his wife had beautiful girls late Sunday night.... twit was watching the game on the TV during delivery.... and for some unknown reason ... :sigh: they named the twins "Bryn" and "Brees" :slap:

WHY ??????

LMAO, I take it they are big Saints fans?

3lilpigs
02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Coulda been worse..........Indy and Orleans.:rofl:

Jolie Rouge
02-09-2010, 09:17 PM
LMAO, I take it they are big Saints fans?

Brenda can at least claim being under the influence of drugs ... Brian is an idiot :slap: The original plan was "Bryn" and "Brittany". I imagine it could be worse ....

Coulda been worse..........Indy and Orleans

This is too too true....

DrGrin
02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
This has been an interesting thread to read. LOL

Jolie Rouge
03-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Coulda been worse..........Indy and Orleans

This is too too true.... my brother said it could have been "Bush" and "Brees"

jasmine
03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I know someone who named there son Maximus, from that gladiator movie, and they call him Max, then one who named there son Kingston, and calls him King.

I love my DD's names, but I named them to close, Destiney and Bethany, I sometimes get them mixed up and mistakingly call one the other. My son is Damon, I let my DH name him.

cab1277
03-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Hey,

Don't be so judgemental. For one the name is "super" recognizable and may help make him a big star someday. Especially with famous parents. Also, I would like to point out, that I named by baby brother (who's now 26) after the Superman of the 80's. Of course I used the actor's real name Christopher. Before you say anything my parents asked me what I wanted to name him, and I was 6.

Jolie Rouge
02-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Move over, Apple, Suri, Bronx, and Blue Ivy — here comes Exton Elias. That's the unusual moniker Robert Downey Jr. and his wife, Susan, have given their newborn son, who was born on Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, clocking in at 7 pounds, 5 ounces and 20 inches long. "Everyone is healthy and they couldn't be happier," a friend of the couple tells People.

Although the "Sherlock Holmes" actor, 46, accidentally spilled the beans about the baby's sex in December, he stopped short of also revealing the name they had chosen for their little one. "If I told you the name, then [my wife] would lop off my head with a machete," Downey joked — or at least we hope it was a joke.

The new parents have yet to explain their decision to name their first child together Exton, but the word is typically associated with the city in Pennsylvania. Coincidentally (or maybe not), RDJ and his first wife, Deborah Falconer, also named their now-18-year-old son after a location -- Indio, a Southern California city that happens to be home to the Coachella Music Festival.

"Place names and surnames with an 'x' inside them have been soaring for boys," Laura Wattenberg (http://babynamewizard.com) tells omg!. "It's like a little super-power boost inside an otherwise unassuming name. Jaxon, Braxton, and Paxton are the leaders of that pack, and many others, like Maxton and Lexington are rising. Exton is a little surprising, though, because it's not especially nickname-friendly. Ex, with its suggestion of ex-wives and ex-boyfriends, isn't likely."

As for baby Exton's middle name, Elias, perhaps it's a nod to New York Giants star quarterback, Eli Manning, who led his team to a Super Bowl win on Sunday. After all, dad Robert is a NYC native.

Exton may seem like a peculiar choice for a baby name -- but not in Hollywood, home to some of the biggest head-scratchers and tongue-twisters. Here's a sampling:

Audio Science, the son of actress Shannyn Sossamon and kickboxing instructor Dallas Clayton
Moxie Crimefighter, the daughter of Penn Jillette and his wife, Emily
Pilot Inspektor, the son of Jason Lee and his wife, Beth
Kal-El, the son of Nicolas Cage and his wife, Alice Kim
Speck Wildhorse, the son of John Mellencamp and Elaine Irwin
Sparrow James Midnight, the son of Nicole Richie and Joel Madden
Bluebell Madonna, the daughter of Spice Girl Geri Halliwell and Sacha Gervasi
Banjo Patrick, the son of Rachel Griffith and Andrew Taylor
Kyd Miller, the son of David Duchovny and Tea Leoni
Elijah Bob Patricius Guggi Q, the son of Bono and Ali Hewson
Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha, the son of Lisa Bonet and Jason Momoa
Daisy Boo and Poppy Honey, the daughters of Jamie Oliver and wife Jools Norton
Reignbeau, the daughter of Ving Rhames and Deborah Reed
Jermajesty, the son of Jermaine Jackson and Alejandra
Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen and Moon Unit, the daughters of Frank Zappa (who also named his sons Dweezil and Ahmet)

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/goddess/robert-downey-jr-wife-susan-welcome-son-exton-193200668.html

baragabrat
02-08-2012, 06:32 AM
huh...and I have complained about MY name. Compared to the names above, mine is commonplace. Ridiculous, to say the least. Talk about egos. These parents have given no thought whatsoever to their children or how difficult it will be for them. But they are in show biz after all and life IS all about them, right? Idiots. EVERYONE will make fun, even the teacher. (I had a teacher in ninth grade who made fun of my name.) Hopefully the kid will change his/her name when of age, otherwise life in this regard will only get worse.

gravittr
07-07-2012, 01:10 PM
sorry had m,e on that one too