PDA

View Full Version : anyone taken topamax

crystalbug
09-28-2005, 11:09 PM
My doctor wants to put me on topamax(hope I spelled it right) I was wondering if anyone has taken it and could give me their experiences.thanks jackie

JillPole
09-28-2005, 11:40 PM
What does he want you to take it for? Topamax was originally designed to treat epilepsy, and then it was discovered to help not only people with bipolar disorder, but is now also being marketed for migraines. I have been taking it for 3 years for bipolar and it has worked wonderfully for me (though it doesn't always work for all bipolar patients). If that's what it's for, I could give you a little more of my personal experience with it.

Willow
09-29-2005, 05:48 AM
It's kind of hard to go by other people's experiences because meds work differently for everyone. I was on Paxil at one time and I had an awful experience with it but some people say it works great for them.

Tisky67
09-29-2005, 06:30 AM
I was on Topomax for about 8 months for my migraines but it never really helped me & the side effects weren't real pleasent for me. I ended up with peripheral neuropathy ( hands & feet were numb & tinglely). After not being able to deal with that my neurologist switched me to Lamictal & I have only had 3 migraines in 2 months

jennirv4967
09-29-2005, 10:37 AM
i took it for almost a year for migraines...worked wonders for me

JillPole
09-29-2005, 01:59 PM
That's what I'm saying. I started with Depakote which did not work, and then Paxil which was the worst experience of my life, until being put on Topamax which finally clicked with me (I also had to have my dosage adjusted along the way). However, I have been on other boards for people with bipolar who have said Topamax did nothing for them or made things worse, and people who have said Depakote and Paxil did wonders for them.

Often it is a matter of having to try one or two (or even three) types of medication before finding which one works for you. It is a slow, sometimes frustrating process. The Topamax didn't really start "working for me" for at least a few weeks (with the Depakote it never worked at all, and with the Paxil it was an instant horror story).

Also, there may be some (expected) mild side effects in the beginning that will eventually subside. With the Topamax, I take it an hour or so before bedtime, and at first I would be a bit dizzy, and everything would be very colorful. Now it's just fine. If the side effects are majorly overwhelming, tell your doctor right away as there could possibly be a problem.

Hope this helps.

evrita
09-30-2005, 02:20 PM
I take it for Migraines and Bipolar is working fine they are now increasing my dose and taking away a different med I am taking I am on 100 mg of it I have a little memory loss no appitite I have to force myself to eat somedays and one thing is wear lots of sunblock or stay in the shade I burnt so bad this summer the worse I have ever burnt in my life almost had to go to the er I was running a fever for 2 days and so sick turns out that is a side affect and tell you to seek medical attention OPPS

BigLyd1
09-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Even though this isn't my thread, I appreciate all the info. I know it's primarily for migraines, which I rarely get, so I really don't need it for that. But I was also taking it for mood swings and that must be why it wasn't helping me. But I am only on 50 mg.

It does affect your appetite which could be a plus I guess. And I also have had the tingling sensation in my fingers and toes.

xtrememom
09-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi this is my first post here and its about a medicine that changed my life. I have been on Topamax for well over 2 years. I take 50 mg at 10 pm everynight. I use it to help me with my REM sleep patterns in conjunction with 40 mg of Flexeral taken at 8 pm. I have lupus, fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis and sometimes in spite of being so tired I cant sleep it has helped. I also used to get horrible migraines 20 times a month now I get maybe 1 or 2 a month this medicine has helped me, my moods arent as erratic either, I was diagnosed a year ago with the lessor form of bi-polar bi-polar II, where I have hypo-manic episodes once every few years. I can say Topamax made a change in my life. I dont mind the side effects too much, I just have to remember to eat, I did lose 40 pounds the first year on it, trust me I needed to lose the weight, I am hoping it will work again as I gained a lot of weight during a recent illness and course of steroids and as it is I avoid the sun because lupus is a disease that you stay out of the sun with so I am not a bit worried about that side effect at all.

It seems to be a great drug even for its off label uses, meaning being used for other than epilepsy, I have recently started some tingling in my fingers and toes, but never attributed it to the topamax, but I will be sure to mention it on my next rheumatologist visit.

Crystalbug, you've been given some great advice from everyone with various different reasons for taking it. But the best person to ask is your Doctor and your pharmacist, it was actually my pharmacist who recommended the Topamax, she felt I was on way too many drugs to get my body to sleep and then up in the mornings and I love her for doing that for me, shame she moved to SC, but her replacements are just as good.

xtrememom

tigger4
09-30-2005, 05:28 PM
I take 300 mg a day for bipolar disorder. The only side effects I have had is some tingling in my fingers and toes (this was bad at first now I only feel it if my fingers are cold) and I can't drink soda anymore all soda tastes flat to me, which isn't really a bad thing since soda isn't good for me anyway.

It has helped with my mood swings and sleep patterns. It decreased my appetite. I have lost over 40 pounds since April. Next month they are going to increase my doseage to 400 mg. I am also on Wellbutrin.

evrita
09-30-2005, 09:38 PM
I also wanted to say that the dr did tell me that some people not all do get the tingling in the hands and toes but it will go away I havent had a problem with it yet we will see.

I want to say I actually take this med for 3 different reasons which is great because instead of being on many diff meds I can take one for all I have nerve damage in my leg due to surgery and I have a sensitive leg due to it I mean sheets on the leg touching it would make me cry it has helped so much and also the migraines and Bipolar.

I think the worse side affect is I have to remind myself to eat and phyically force myself to eat I have lost 10 pds since I have been on it in about 3 months and I am not trying to loose weight

crystalbug
09-30-2005, 09:58 PM
My psycyiatrist wanted me to try it for bipolar disorder. I have had some problems with other medicines in the past and told him I wanted to do some research on my own before I actually try this medication. I dont do well on lighium, or depakote so he wants to try the topamax. I checked out WebMd and it mentions kidney stones so I was wondering if many people had a problem with them that is why I posted to see if anyone was or has taken this medicine and to see how they responded to it. I know everyone reacts differently to meds but I wanted feedback from people who actually taken the medication. I am debating taking this but I am being cautious. I would love to lose some weight so that would be a big plus. I took zyprexa and gained 20 lbs in about 4 months. I also have hypothyrodism so I want no part of lithuum. Thanks for all the feedback on this medication. I think when I go back to the Dr next month I will give it a try, hopefully it will work for me as it has for others.

trabrat
10-01-2005, 03:12 AM
My 5 yr old son jordan just started taking topamax yesterday. A doctor in NY suggested this to help him lose weight. Everyone say a prayer for him and hope that it works for him. He is up to 167. He started school and is doing wonderful. The school done an IQ test on him and its 128. I couldn't believe it. Lets keep our fingers crossed for him.

Willow
10-01-2005, 04:01 AM
My 5 yr old son jordan just started taking topamax yesterday. A doctor in NY suggested this to help him lose weight. Everyone say a prayer for him and hope that it works for him. He is up to 167. He started school and is doing wonderful. The school done an IQ test on him and its 128. I couldn't believe it. Lets keep our fingers crossed for him.

Are you the one that was on Maury Povich? If so I remember seeing that episode. Your son was really sweet. :) I hope the Topomax works for him.

JillPole
10-01-2005, 02:18 PM
I just wanted to add that I did not lose weight with Topamax. My doctor warned me of the possibility that my appetite might subside during the first few weeks, but other than that, it did not make a difference. It did, however, help tremendously with the bipolar, and that was the most important thing. I was also put on Wellbutrin, and that DID help with weight loss.

Good luck to you, and remember that it may take awhile to take effect, so don't give up.