PDA

View Full Version : Bus carrying evacuees, explodes

3lilpigs
09-23-2005, 05:29 AM
Did anyone see or hear about this? It was just on the Today show. A bus carrying senior citizens (evacuees) exploded this morning....so far only one fatality. All that was left of the bus was the shell. So sad!! They ''think'' it may have been caused by some of the oxygen tanks that the people were hooked up too. Jeez......as if these people didnt have enough to worry about with Rita right on their butts!

I sure hope everyone else is ok!! :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9449949/

ETA: 20 have now died in this accident :(

belcherpi
09-23-2005, 06:12 AM
That is terrible news. I hadn't heard anything about this and I was even watching the Today show while getting the kids off to school. I guess I wasn't paying much attention. :(

Trishntx
09-23-2005, 07:42 AM
I just watched it. So sad. The whole city is in a desperate situation.
The mayor just had a news conference, and reporters were asking what all these thousands of people were suppose to do. He said they had a plan of action, but wouldn't release it yet. What the heck is he waiting for. The storms are starting tonight. Geez!

3lilpigs
09-23-2005, 07:52 AM
one thing they need to do, is open the damn highway more! when they showed the pics of that bus, there must have been 4-5 other lanes that could have been used! (would normally be used for traffic going the other way) i could never figure out why they never use those lanes! (not just TX...but when ever there is an evacuation in any city). if no one is allowed in....then use those lanes for others to get OUT!

d_terry2000
09-23-2005, 07:56 AM
They just said 24 have been killed in this. OMG.... :eek:

cSoReNSoN
09-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Awful!

Trishntx
09-23-2005, 09:21 AM
there has been a second bus catch on fire, not sure about that one. The news has no idea the latest. They did open the inbound lanes of traffic for outbound traffic, and I heard as of noon today they are being closed.

3lilpigs
09-23-2005, 09:39 AM
there has been a second bus catch on fire, not sure about that one. The news has no idea the latest. They did open the inbound lanes of traffic for outbound traffic, and I heard as of noon today they are being closed.

how did you find out, if the news doesnt know about it? where did you see this?

Wildkats
09-23-2005, 06:46 PM
one thing they need to do, is open the damn highway more! when they showed the pics of that bus, there must have been 4-5 other lanes that could have been used! (would normally be used for traffic going the other way) i could never figure out why they never use those lanes! (not just TX...but when ever there is an evacuation in any city). if no one is allowed in....then use those lanes for others to get OUT!

B/c those lanes need to be kept open for an emergency vehicles to get INTO the city in case something happens there.

stresseater
09-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Exactly. My question is why is everyone trying to go out on the highways anyways. I'd go down every bunny trail between there and Oklahoma. My tires wouldn't even hit pavement. I bet I'd get out a lot quicker than the cattle who are lined up on the highways. ;)

Aloha from paradise
09-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I feel so bad for all of those people. It just seems to be one thing after another.