PDA

View Full Version : Question about colitis

Dalejr8
09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
I just found out I have colitis. I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago and got a letter from the GI clinic stating I have this. I don't see my primary dr for another month since they're still waiting on the biopsy.
I'm just a little nervous about this.

does anyone else have it? are you going through any type of treatment?
I check a website and it said colitis can also be chrons disease or IBD.
Is your dr making you do anything special like a restricted diet?

I'm just curious and going out of my mind at the same time. I also have been diagnose with fibromyagia too and a few other things. I knew I've been sick but I guess I've been in denial.

I hate being sick and right now I'm also scared. I go to the dr tomorrow for my female problems. I just needed to whine a little.

annie169
09-17-2005, 12:13 AM
A doctor I type for, tells her patients to eat no nuts, tomato seeds, and stay away from caffeine...no sodas, coffee, or tea.

Crohn's and colitis are IBD's...Irritable Bowel Disorders. Crohn's is actually a certain type of IBD/cholitis. Its hard to explain, but a lot of medical conditions fall under a "general" subject, which in your case is IBD, which has a catagory of colitis, where Crohn's is a more specific type of colitis. Make sense? i hope so!! Good luck.

one_angel
09-17-2005, 02:58 PM
My husband, who is only 27 now, had been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis for four years or so. He just started by having bad cramps in his stomach and not able to keep any food from going through him. Even if he didn't eat, he had to go. When they did the colonoscopy, they found that it wasn't Chron's, but it was ulcerative instead. Chron's runs in my family, and it is much more serious. If it helps, my husband has no diet restrictions, but he was taking Asacol. That didn't work as well as it could, so he is now taking 4 Pentasa pills 4 times a day to keep his colitis from flaring. If I can give you any information, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

Dalejr8
09-24-2005, 08:11 PM
My husband, who is only 27 now, had been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis for four years or so. He just started by having bad cramps in his stomach and not able to keep any food from going through him. Even if he didn't eat, he had to go. When they did the colonoscopy, they found that it wasn't Chron's, but it was ulcerative instead. Chron's runs in my family, and it is much more serious. If it helps, my husband has no diet restrictions, but he was taking Asacol. That didn't work as well as it could, so he is now taking 4 Pentasa pills 4 times a day to keep his colitis from flaring. If I can give you any information, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

I'm 33 and I started having problems about 6 months ago. I probably had them longer but they really didn't bother me until now. I hate the cramps. Sometimes they're so bad I want to get sick. I avoid eating sometimes to keep from going. I too, go even thought I don't eat. I know what your hubby is going through and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. well maybe I WOULD! :eek:
People just don't understand how it can bring your life to a halt. I won't leave the house because I'm afraid I will be out somewhere and it hits me and there is nothing I can do. I wish Oct 10 was already here so I can get some relief. I spent most of the day in the bathroom. Missed most of the busch race, but I did see the big wreck.

slyred
09-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about 15 years ago, although I've had it since I was a teenager (I'm 45 now.) I take azsulfadine (sp) and there have been times when it has gotten so bad I've had to be hospitalized.

you do have to be careful what you eat. You aren't supposed to have popcorn, nuts, caffeine, raw veggies and fruits bother me, i think its the skins.

I know what you mean Dalejr about not wanting to leave the house, it gets so bad sometimes, I never want to eat anything out unless I'm going home! That's hard to do when you are workin 11 hours a day.

It is something that it takes awhile to live with. Good Luck!

one_angel
10-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Both doctors that my husband has been to has said that he has no restrictions on his diet but that certain foods, such as large salads (roughage) could bother him more. I think my husband is in a little bit of flaring right now.

My grandma just found out, recently, that she has a different type of colitis, and hers was bad enough that she would have accidents in the night and not know until she woke up. She is 78, though, and I know that her age makes a difference. She is in no way an old 78; she just took an overnight trip on a bus with some ladies from church/CEOS to go see a play and shop in another state, but she does have more health problems than she did before.

I just found out this week that my uncle has had problems for the past year and has somehow kept it to only he and his wife knew. My teenage cousin lives in the same house and he kept it from her somehow. I would think that she would catch on if he was having so much trouble (going up to thirty times a day). I guess at his church they were praying for a healing, but he finally went to a doctor. I don't get that. Didn't God give us doctors for a reason? I hope that he ends up okay, but at the same time, I think he would have went to the doctor earlier if he was hurting so much and missing work.