PDA

View Full Version : yes! another ''gas'' vent!!

3lilpigs
08-16-2005, 06:03 PM
HOLY HIGH GAS PRICES BATMAN! :eek:
i just listened to the 11pm news for local baltimore station (im an hour away in Pa) and they said by THE END OF THIS WEEK, gas could reach $3.00!! and thats for the cheap stuff!

this is insane! i've had it. im no longer driving anywhere. i'll ride my bike if i have to....lol.

seriously tho.....whats your 'limit?' will you make any major changes to things you do? places you go? sell your car? how about working 4 day, 10 hour shifts? (if available to you) would you consider doing that? i just cant keep dumping $30 in my tank everytime i have to fill up. i've even cut back on mowing the grass! lol

bribella
08-16-2005, 06:07 PM
nope no plans to change my driving habits. I need to get around and w/ 3 kids I have to drive to do that. So they got me where they want me LOL!

I don't even look at the price of gas anymore, too afraid I'll pass out LOL!

cpbaby
08-16-2005, 06:08 PM
I am putting in my two week notice tomorrow. I drive 55 minutes ONE WAY. Daycare and gas takes over half of my paycheck everyweek. I am tired of it and refuse to do it any more. I can work here in town for less money and come out the same moneywise and be home alot more.

rlynn411
08-16-2005, 06:10 PM
I agree,prices are insane. Sad thing is these prices are not shortage driven. I am planning errand trips more carefully these days and have ceased all mindless,spur of the moment running.

I heard on the news today that gas prices are double what they were this time last year. What I wouldn't give to be paying a $1.35 right now!!!!!

stresseater
08-16-2005, 06:40 PM
I don't plan to change my driving habits any either. I live in the boonies but it's still only about 5 min to town and 15 min to a city with all the shopping I need. I usually don't go anywhere but the school and Wal-mart.

Tasha405
08-16-2005, 06:55 PM
I agree, the prices are just down right crazy right now. Its getting to where working people won't be able to afford the gas to even get to work. When you live paycheck to paycheck, as most people do, that extra gas money really hurts.

We no longer go for rides just to get out of the house or anything like that. We try to get everything done one day a week and just stay home, other than DH driving to work. That alone takes a lot in gas each week because he drives 45 minutes to an hour (depending on traffic) each way to work.

lassss
08-17-2005, 03:36 AM
omg prices are outrageous.....here is Reading PA the price is 2.49 for regular. Unfortunely I drive 30 miles one way Mon-Fri so I don't see changing my habits.

The only change that will occur is that when my bf and I go places at night or weekend, we will prolly be riding the Harley, weather permitting

YankeeMary
08-17-2005, 03:41 AM
I filled up yesterday...$2.58 a gallon...and it cost $31.00...I about freaked out..hehe...I volunteer in Atlanta 203 times a week, with gas prices as they are, my volunteering days might be over. DH drives 45 minutes to get to work and 45 minutes home every night, his driving is necassary. I think it is ridiculous to have to pay these prices.

3lilpigs
08-17-2005, 03:51 AM
I filled up yesterday...$2.58 a gallon...and it cost $31.00...I about freaked out..hehe...I volunteer in Atlanta 203 times a week, with gas prices as they are, my volunteering days might be over. DH drives 45 minutes to get to work and 45 minutes home every night, his driving is necassary. I think it is ridiculous to have to pay these prices.

203 times a week!? :eek:

ilvscooby
08-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Ugh..gas here is $2.55 for the cheap stuff. What gets me is that if the price goes down here it goes down a penny, but when they raise it goes up $.05-$.10 each time :mad: My brother lives in California and he already pays over $3 for a gallon of gas. This is getting ridiculous!

moe265
08-17-2005, 04:06 AM
I paid $2.55 in my neck of the woods last night. For $15.00 I got a whole half tank of gas. Makes me sick to my stomach. I am a single mom and see my days of going to Houston to buy groceries because they are cheaper are over. Somebody needs to step up and put a stop to this soon!

3lilpigs
08-17-2005, 04:22 AM
i just got an email from a friend of mine who lives in canada.......their cheapest is $1.06 a LITRE.....thats $4.01 a gallon!! :eek:

excuseme
08-17-2005, 04:33 AM
In a few weeks though the high cost of gas that is used to deliver goods to us (ie. everything we buy at the grocery store) will be factored into the "new" price of these goods. We won't be able to afford to drive to the store, and if we could we wouldn't be able to afford the new prices of the products there. Will the average american change his habbits? I will be curious to watch what happens myself.

3lilpigs
08-17-2005, 04:35 AM
In a few weeks though the high cost of gas that is used to deliver goods to us (ie. everything we buy at the grocery store) will be factored into the "new" price of these goods. We won't be able to afford to drive to the store, and if we could we wouldn't be able to afford the new prices of the products there. Will the average american change his habbits? I will be curious to watch what happens myself.

It's already started. food prices here have been going up the past week. i'll shop once or twice a month....thats it. and you can bet i'll have coupons in hand :D

Steena
08-17-2005, 05:38 AM
I really feel for all those commuters out there! I can't imagine the cost of driving 45-60 minutes each way! Maybe people will seriously start think about carpooling or using public transportation now out of neccessity. It makes good sense anyway.
I definitely think twice before jumping in the car and cruising. Just can't afford to casually drive around anymore. No more garage saling around town!

Gas here is averaging 2.59 gallon. Up 30 cents in the past two weeks!

Shancopp
08-17-2005, 06:24 AM
Here it is 2.69. I put 10 in my big ole conversion van and got 1/8 of a tank, so 80 bucks to fill it up! :eek: I really cut down on trips here and there, that's for sure.

YNKYH8R
08-17-2005, 06:30 AM
I can't up and leave my job (I commute and carpool to work 45 mins one way). I put $20 in this morning and it gave my 7 3/4 gallons. Good thing I drive a 4 cylinder. When winter hits at least I won't have to put money in the mower. But I dread going to weekend drill (1 1/4 one way). It's not worth going anywhere anymore.
There is no threshhold everyone has to work. And I'm not quitingmy job to flip burgers because it is closer. I'll just have to change the oil and air filter more often.

tracey74
08-17-2005, 06:40 AM
here in my town it goes $2.74,2.79,$2.83 those are from cheapest to highest just in town!

YankeeMary
08-17-2005, 06:47 AM
203 times a week!? :eek:
Yes I am very busy...lol....it was suppose to read 2-3...LOL...thanks for the chuckle I really needed it today...thats a hoot. :eek:

YankeeMary
08-17-2005, 06:48 AM
I can't up and leave my job (I commute and carpool to work 45 mins one way). I put $20 in this morning and it gave my 7 3/4 gallons. Good thing I drive a 4 cylinder. When winter hits at least I won't have to put money in the mower. But I dread going to weekend drill (1 1/4 one way). It's not worth going anywhere anymore.
There is no threshhold everyone has to work. And I'm not quitingmy job to flip burgers because it is closer. I'll just have to change the oil and air filter more often.
Will that really help? Chanigng the oil and air filter more often? If so then I am going for an oil change today.

YankeeMary
08-17-2005, 06:52 AM
I really feel for all those commuters out there! I can't imagine the cost of driving 45-60 minutes each way! Maybe people will seriously start think about carpooling or using public transportation now out of neccessity. It makes good sense anyway.
I definitely think twice before jumping in the car and cruising. Just can't afford to casually drive around anymore. No more garage saling around town!

Gas here is averaging 2.59 gallon. Up 30 cents in the past two weeks!
Carpooling and public transportation is wonderful if it is available. In DH case it isn't. I have a few friends in Atlanta and they ride the Marta and from what I understood is they raised their prices also, to $1.75, cheaper then gasoline at least.

mom2cvam
08-17-2005, 07:00 AM
My dh got laid off from his job in May. He hasn't been able to find anything anywhere. Yesterday he got a call back and was hired on right away. Thats great!! EXCEPT he has to drive 40 minutes each way in his truck. The job he is in he has to have his truck so getting rid of it is out of the question. If at anytime a job opens up closer to home, he is definitely going to jump at it. These gas prices are just about killing us! :(

YNKYH8R
08-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Will that really help? Chanigng the oil and air filter more often? If so then I am going for an oil change today.
Yes if you do it rutinely. Especially in 4 cylinder engines. My Neon used to get great mileage; when the oil needed to be changed the gas mileage went out the window. My truck is pretty much the same way. I switched to a synthetic oil also.

iluvmybaby
08-17-2005, 07:05 AM
I live in a small one horse/one stoplight town, gas is $2.65 a gallon here and there is absoutely NO public transportation, we filled my moms car up last night, $40, that is the budget for the entire month, if we run out, we just wont be able to drive, nothing is within walking distance of here, which really bites, but everyone here is struggling to make ends meet

schsa
08-17-2005, 07:59 AM
I live too far outside the city to have public transportation. I would be willing to carpool but I go to class three nights a week straight from work. My commute is about 50 minutes a day to travel 25 miles because the traffic is so backed up all the time and I leave early in the am.

We are at $2.49 right now. It will cost me over $20 to get 3/4 of a tank of gas. Just wait until you have to buy meat or cereal. It will cost a fortune by next spring.

hblueeyes
08-17-2005, 12:11 PM
3.09 here by me. My girlfriend called and said she heard it will reach $5. How can anyone afford that. My biggest concern though will be heating costs this winter. How are we to afford heat? Add that to the crazy home prices and I think the bubble is gonna burst. We are soon becoming a society of have and have nots. I believe we are more than halfway there already.

Me :p

mnvdriver
08-17-2005, 12:18 PM
We just heard on the news here that it is 2.79 a gallon here ( Philly ) 6.45 in Britain and $0.05 in IRAQ. YES THAT'S 1 NICKEL!!!!!!!

3lilpigs
08-17-2005, 12:21 PM
found this on a website this morning........

Nation City Price in USD Regular/Gallon
Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48
Norway Oslo $6.27
Italy Milan $5.96
Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
Belgium Brussels $5.91
Sweden Stockholm $5.80
United Kingdom London $5.79
Germany Frankfurt $5.57
France Paris $5.54
Portugal Lisbon $5.35
Hungary Budapest $4.94
Luxembourg $4.82
Croatia Zagreb $4.81
Ireland Dublin $4.78
Switzerland Geneva $4.74
Spain Madrid $4.55
Japan Tokyo $4.24
Czech Republic Prague $4.19
Romania Bucharest $4.09
Andorra $4.08
Estonia Tallinn $3.62
Bulgaria Sofia $3.52
Brazil Brasilia $3.12
Cuba Havana $3.03
Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
South Africa Johannesburg $2.62
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74
Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

anyone care to join me in Venezuela?? :D

renagade
08-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Its $2.57 by my house. I saw him changing it last night. It jumps 10 to 15 cents everytime they change it. I myself have started walking more places. I live on 70th st. and our friends live on 57th so I strolled over to see them last night. We were in the garage and she walked out looked around and said wheres your jeep? When I told her I had walked she about died. Well the harley isn't running right now so I'm walking. Hey it will help me lose weight and get into shape. Right?

stresseater
08-17-2005, 03:36 PM
:) Thank you for the list 3lilpigs. From what I can see we have been getting off cheap for a long, long time. So basically this was bound to happen since the majority of the countries that are cheaper than us are the ones who are supplying us. That only makes sense that they would get it cheaper. What we need to do is start drilling in Alaska and open up some of the many wells sitting all across the mid west that are just capped but not dry. We also need to get the greenies off the oil industries back so they would be able to open up some of the many refineries they have closed down rather than update. Otherewise, yes we will continue to rise in prices till we are on par with the rest of the world. :)

nightrider127
08-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Last time I looked, it was $2.69 here for the cheap stuff.

What I would like to know is why these big oil companies haven't been socked with a windfall profits tax, Anyone have an answer for me?

I heard that the reason gas is so expensive in some countries is because of the taxes that are levied on it.

hblueeyes
08-18-2005, 05:41 AM
True, gas in more in Europe than in the US, but the taxes levied on the gas is to pay for their national healthcare system. I would not mind paying more for gas if everyone in the US had healthcare provided to them because of the taxes paid for by the gas levy.

3lilpigs
08-18-2005, 05:58 AM
True, gas in more in Europe than in the US, but the taxes levied on the gas is to pay for their national healthcare system. I would not mind paying more for gas if everyone in the US had healthcare provided to them because of the taxes paid for by the gas levy.

be careful what you wish for. taxes in canda are 15% on EVERYTHING! (and everyone has healthcare)

Aloha from paradise
08-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Just hit $3.15 here in Hawaii :eek: