PDA

View Full Version : update to my cost of living keeps rising...

*lilo*
08-05-2005, 04:09 AM
link to my original thread... http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?t=480767

well today i spoke to a supervisor for my caseworker(my caseworker can't even get my daughters name properly spelled in the freaking system :rolleyes: ). i asked the supervisor why i was being denied medical and foodstamps, she told me the gross monthly income for a family of 4 is over $2000 a month to be able to qualify! well dh makes $1846 a month(in my other post i might have said $1849 but that calculation i had made then was wrong), so she's sending me papers to file for an appeal :D . i just KNEW something was not right!

buttrfli
08-05-2005, 06:14 AM
link to my original thread... http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?t=480767

well today i spoke to a supervisor for my caseworker(my caseworker can't even get my daughters name properly spelled in the freaking system :rolleyes: ). i asked the supervisor why i was being denied medical and foodstamps, she told me the gross monthly income for a family of 4 is over $2000 a month to be able to qualify! well dh makes $1846 a month(in my other post i might have said $1849 but that calculation i had made then was wrong), so she's sending me papers to file for an appeal :D . i just KNEW something was not right!

GOOD! I think state workers (the ones I have delt w/) only work when they want to.. the rest of the time they are like that capitol one commerical where david spade tells everyone "no" lol

I am glad you persued this :)

*lilo*
08-05-2005, 07:42 AM
GOOD! I think state workers (the ones I have delt w/) only work when they want to.. the rest of the time they are like that capitol one commerical where david spade tells everyone "no" lol

I am glad you persued this :)

LMAO! why do i picture my caseworker in the one where the guy comes to the office and chases the poor new kid around because David Spade frames him. seriously my caseworker is a jackass (hope i can say that)

Angel Lips
08-05-2005, 10:42 AM
glad its working out better for you

hblueeyes
08-07-2005, 10:41 AM
$2000 a month for a family of 4. It was under $600 a month in Illinois the last I knew of. I know that the workers do the least possible. Good luck.

Me :p

firechic
08-07-2005, 01:36 PM
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but EVERYONE'S cost of living is going up.

*lilo*
08-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but EVERYONE'S cost of living is going up.
really? wow i had no idea! thought it was just mine, how foolish of me. :rolleyes:

mimi37
08-07-2005, 04:10 PM
What gets me is that they go on your gross income and not your net. We lose a couple hundred a month to taxes.(counting both my husband's and daughter's income) Our kids get medical but my husband and I have none.

aneisu
08-08-2005, 05:15 PM
What gets me is that they go on your gross income and not your net. We lose a couple hundred a month to taxes.(counting both my husband's and daughter's income) Our kids get medical but my husband and I have none.

If they used your net they would just raise the limit. Plus, there's a greater chance someone would cheat the system by having enough withheld they qualify for aid.

mimi37
08-08-2005, 05:30 PM
If they used your net they would just raise the limit. Plus, there's a greater chance someone would cheat the system by having enough withheld they qualify for aid.
I have no intention of cheating the system. Just because a lot of times we live paycheck to paycheck, doesn't mean we are cheaters. :mad: My daughter goes to school full time during the day, works 4 nights during the week and works a second job on the weekend averaging 10 hours a day. My husband works a full week, Monday thru Friday. I was working third shift but I only got 3 hours sleep a day which wasn't even all at one time. I was ruining my health, I was exhausted to the point I was almost falling over. So, not everyone who receives a little bit of assistance is a cheater. We are hard workers. Just because I get medical assistance for my kids,dosn't make me a cheater. The point I was trying to make is that they go by what you make before taxes, not what you actually bring home. If I had those several hundred dollars more a month in my pocket instead of taken out in taxes, I could afford a lot more things.

hblueeyes
08-09-2005, 06:08 AM
I dont believe anyone was calling you a cheater. They just made a very good point that IF they went by after tax that those types that cheat will find a way of downsizing their net income in order to qualify. If you are eligible then take what you can and need. Being eligible and hardworking does not make you a cheater but there are many who receive benefits that should not.

aneisu
08-09-2005, 06:45 AM
I dont believe anyone was calling you a cheater. They just made a very good point that IF they went by after tax that those types that cheat will find a way of downsizing their net income in order to qualify. If you are eligible then take what you can and need. Being eligible and hardworking does not make you a cheater but there are many who receive benefits that should not.

Exactly! I think everyone who needs aid should get it. My point was you control how much is held out for taxes. There are some people who would hold out enough to qualify and then just get reimbursed at the end of the year for their extra withholdings. I think using the pretax income is a more fair way of determining income. They take into account how much you will be paying in taxes.

dixie1596
08-09-2005, 05:14 PM
i understand !!! my family lives on social ser. (my hubby lost his sight from a gunshot wound 13 yrs ago)
our oldest is 17, honor student, our youngest is austic with learning disoders(his iq is 73)
we live off of $1600 a month that is gross and net, too poor for taxes
we get $55 a month in foodstamps, everyone in the family gets medicaid but me(even though i am bi polar and diabitic)
i am my husband and son caregiver(i am homeschooling our son, due to our public school system is messed up(and that is a nice way of saying it)

i asked why i couldn't get medical help, my family would have to get less than $500 a month, who could live on that?? we barely can get by as it is, my hubby can do some things but after loesing one eye and the sight in the other plus fragments of the bullet in his brain, things can be limited for him,
thank goodness for section 8 that is our only saving grace, hang in there be glad for the little things for they are the best!