PDA

View Full Version : Who homeschools??

eeyore329
08-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Does anyone here homeschool their child/children?? If so, please send me some info on how to do it and all that. What do I have to do? This is for a child going in to the 5th grade............

need quickly

Angelseyes28
08-03-2005, 04:33 PM
I had thought seriously about homeschooling my kids this year but, after checking into it for my state, I changed my mind. I'm in MS and they have absolutely no regulations when it comes to homeschooling. :(

buttrfli
08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Every state has different guidelines for homeschooling.

In Oklahoma, you need to tell the school you are taking the child out of school to homeschool him/her then you homeschool. Thats it. There are no tests or paperwork at all.

Other states are very strict as where you need to keep paperwork and submit it to the state or schools and prove that your child is learning.

Go to google and type in your state and the word "homeschool" and I bet you will find lots of websites that can help with the info you need :)

buttrfli
08-03-2005, 05:35 PM
I found this http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=NC

and this

http://www.nche.com/law.html

and here is a list of groups should you decide to homeschool
http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/regional/NorthCarolina.htm

mimi37
08-03-2005, 05:44 PM
I homeschool my youngest son. He'll be starting second grade and this is our third year of homeschooling. The reason I homeschool is because they wanted to bus him to a school that isn't in our neighborhood and is in a very bad area. We drove past the school in broad daylight and saw a drug deal taking place. There was no way I was going to send him there. I would be worried sick all day.
I use Connections Academy's curriculum. They send me all his books and the lesson plans are all online. They even gave me a computer to use for his school work.

buttrfli
08-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I homeschool my youngest son. He'll be starting second grade and this is our third year of homeschooling. The reason I homeschool is because they wanted to bus him to a school that isn't in our neighborhood and is in a very bad area. We drove past the school in broad daylight and saw a drug deal taking place. There was no way I was going to send him there. I would be worried sick all day.
I use Connections Academy's curriculum. They send me all his books and the lesson plans are all online. They even gave me a computer to use for his school work.

I wish they would cover Oklahoma :( I asked last year how to get Oklahoma involved and they will never answer back :(

mimi37
08-03-2005, 05:56 PM
I wish they would cover Oklahoma :( I asked last year how to get Oklahoma involved and they will never answer back :(

They only cover about 5 or 6 states right now.

eeyore329
08-03-2005, 05:59 PM
my oldest son has ADHD. it drives me crazy. He is very very smart. Above his grade level and did very well on the EOG's this year. His behavior is terrible. We are trying to get him straightened out, but I am thinking about keeping him at home and homeschooling him this year. I have 2 other children that will continue to go to public school.
Anyone else have this dilemma?

ang in NC
08-03-2005, 06:39 PM
my oldest graduated 2 yrs ago, I home school my youngest Megan (low iq, autism etc.) We have worked on 5th grade now for 2 yrs. She cant get math. But last yr scored grade level on her eog. NC is so so on Homeschool. We have a lot of homeschoolers in my area. Best of Luck, you will be surprise what your child will learn.
We do alot of hands on.

eeyore329
08-03-2005, 06:43 PM
is it hard to get in a groove?? do you have to study/teach 8 hrs a day, or what? do you go to the school board?

HELP!!!

mimi37
08-04-2005, 12:54 AM
I didn't have to go to the school board. But every state is different. My lesson plans are all layed out for me everyday. It doesn't take anywhere near 8 hours to do them. Plus you can be flexible and do your lessons at any time. Or double up on one day if you have an appointment or something one day.

andreame70
08-04-2005, 12:59 AM
eeyore329, I am also in NC and my Mother has home schooled my little sister for the last 2 years. She is now 16 and will be starting her Senior year this year.

Mom bought the curriculum from Heritage Home School Academy. They explained everything to her and guided her in the right direction. Here is their phone number:
1 (877) 532-7665 and their website is http://www.heritagehomeschool.com/

I think the best thing you can probably do is contact one of the home school places, which ever one you decide on and speak to them personally. That way you will know for sure that you are following the correct guidelines for the state.

I know that most of the time, my sister would have a plan each morning to cover. Once it was done, she was finished for the day. Mom would get her up, she would eat breakfast and start about 8 am and by noon she was finished. She has scored well on the tests and she loves it.

Best of luck to you.

Andrea