PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with crated dogs...

buttrfli
07-30-2005, 07:19 PM
We have wire crates for our dogs for when we are gone. (Its way too hot to leave them outside and they tear up my house when not supervised)

Anyhow they do wonderful in the crates and are in them for only about an hour or less a few times a week. We had them both fixed a few days ago and they have been sleeping alot, so I shut the doors to their crates so I could take a shower. I was putting my laundry in the hamper and Angel (the oldest) hopped up so he could get out. Somehow the metal hook on his collar got hooked on one of the cage hooks (on the bottom) when he tried to get up he couldn't so he raised his back end and the crate flipped over onto its top. He was able to stand up, but the collar was hooked so tight on the crate he couldn't move. If he had been an inch shorter and had we been gone, he would have gotten hung :(

When DH gets home tomorrow he will be crimping the wire hooks together so this won't happen again. I tried, but I'm not strong enough....

So if you have wire crates, please check and be sure to crimp the hooks that hold it together.

YankeeMary
07-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I hope puppy is ok...so glad you were home...HUGS!!!

buttrfli
07-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Hes fine :) he didn't make one noise when it happened, I think it shocked him.. scared me tho LOL

Shann
07-30-2005, 07:39 PM
OH my gosh!!! So scary! We actually have never crated our dogs and don't own a wire one, but will share this w/ anyone I know that does. ((((hugs)))) Poor puppy I am glad you were there and they are all right and your hubby is fixing the problem.

Willow
07-30-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm glad the little guy was okay. :)

Kyla Kym
07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
It might be a good idea to remove their collars before you leave the house just incase. I've even had dogs get their bottom jaw hung up under their collars before because I had it on to loose. Glad you was home and nothing bad happened.

bribella
07-30-2005, 08:11 PM
I am crate training my dog right now. Thanks for the heads up :) He has a plastic kennel with a wire door.

Denise1972
07-30-2005, 08:12 PM
OMG I am glad you were home when this happened. It may be a good idea like someone else said to take the collar off before you leave. Give him lots of extra puppy hugs for me. :)

buttrfli
07-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Yep, I intend on taking the collars off... I'm not about to take any chances!

3lilpigs
07-31-2005, 03:32 AM
thanks for posting. i crate my dog too......im taking her collar off her from now on.

Tasha405
07-31-2005, 05:17 AM
Aww, I'm glad he's ok! That had to be so scary. (((Hugs)))

iluvmybaby
07-31-2005, 10:48 AM
OMG that must have been so scary :eek: Glad everything worked out ok!

tngirl
08-03-2005, 05:04 PM
We have wire crates for our dogs for when we are gone. (Its way too hot to leave them outside and they tear up my house when not supervised)

Anyhow they do wonderful in the crates and are in them for only about an hour or less a few times a week. We had them both fixed a few days ago and they have been sleeping alot, so I shut the doors to their crates so I could take a shower. I was putting my laundry in the hamper and Angel (the oldest) hopped up so he could get out. Somehow the metal hook on his collar got hooked on one of the cage hooks (on the bottom) when he tried to get up he couldn't so he raised his back end and the crate flipped over onto its top. He was able to stand up, but the collar was hooked so tight on the crate he couldn't move. If he had been an inch shorter and had we been gone, he would have gotten hung :(

When DH gets home tomorrow he will be crimping the wire hooks together so this won't happen again. I tried, but I'm not strong enough....

So if you have wire crates, please check and be sure to crimp the hooks that hold it together.

This is why in the grooming shop we always take collars off of our dogs / cats. It is too easy for them to get caught. Crating your pets is a great idea, especially if they aren't used to being in the house all the time.

All of our pets think they own our house. They think they are too good to sleep on the floor. If all the seats are taken they look at you like "what? You expect me to lay in the floor?"....lol

buttrfli
08-03-2005, 05:42 PM
This is why in the grooming shop we always take collars off of our dogs / cats. It is too easy for them to get caught. Crating your pets is a great idea, especially if they aren't used to being in the house all the time.

All of our pets think they own our house. They think they are too good to sleep on the floor. If all the seats are taken they look at you like "what? You expect me to lay in the floor?"....lol

LOL NONE of our pets sleep on the floor. The dogs have their own couch (or share a bed w/ a kid lol) and the cats sleep on whatever bed is not occupied by a dog :rolleyes:

tngirl
08-03-2005, 06:08 PM
LOL NONE of our pets sleep on the floor. The dogs have their own couch (or share a bed w/ a kid lol) and the cats sleep on whatever bed is not occupied by a dog :rolleyes:

our cats kick the dogs off the bed. my siamese wannabe is the queen of the house. We have 3 big dogs and they walk AROUND her. When she is in one of her "witchy" moods she slaps the dogs or jumps on them as they pass by. You should see our German Shepards get out of her way. My Shih Tzu is stupid though....she goes back at her.... and of course is rewarded with a good swat and you hear the yelp from the dog

ang in NC
08-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Our dogs sleep with us. I love having them sleep w/ me. Especially when husband is on graveyard. Not that the husband could protect us.lol
I know if they bark someone is around. I know you were scared!