PDA

View Full Version : Mmmmm my kitchen smells so yummy!!!

Angelseyes28
07-28-2005, 06:40 AM
So far I have made a skillet of cornbread, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, squash and a chocolate cake:D

buttrfli
07-28-2005, 07:30 AM
what time should I be there? :) lol

Angelseyes28
07-28-2005, 07:54 AM
LOL I'm still not finished cooking yet, you have to wait till everything is done:p
I have to take my daughter to get new glasses so the rest of the cooking will have to wait till I get back home. Still gotta cook cream corn, black eyed peas, fried okra and porkchops.....Mmmmmm:D

buttrfli
07-28-2005, 08:02 AM
mmmm i haven't had fried okra (homemeade) in YEARS... I'll be waiting on your porch when you come back LOL

BigLyd1
07-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Well, what should I bring? I've never had fried okra... wouldn't recognize it if I saw it. Just a big city girl from the west. :o

bribella
07-28-2005, 08:15 AM
mmm sounds good! Are you having a party?

Angelseyes28
07-28-2005, 08:30 AM
LOL buttrfli nothing better than homemade fried okra! Hey if you are gonna be waiting on my porch, how bout cleaning it off for me while your waiting:D

Oh my gosh BigLyd, you have NEVER had fried okra? Heck if I knew how to pack it so it wouldn't go bad, I would send you some! You should find someone that makes it and try it, it's soooo good.

Nah bribella, no party. Just supper lol.

Eyore
07-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Oh, I haven't had a meal like that since I was a kid. I like everything your making except creamed corn. It's just me and hubby and he doesn't eat fried okra, fried squash, or blackeyed peas so can't see making all that just for me. I do make fresh fried squash for me. Blackeyed peas come out of a can and okra if I can find it battered and frozen I'll make that for me sometimes.
To bad you can't send me some through the mail. Sure sounds good.

DreamWorld
07-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Yum Yum Yum - I love everything you are making except the corn and peas. :)

buttrfli
07-28-2005, 09:15 AM
LOL buttrfli nothing better than homemade fried okra! Hey if you are gonna be waiting on my porch, how bout cleaning it off for me while your waiting:D

I'll do just about anything for friend okra LOL ;) (I said JUST about LOL)

Angel Lips
07-28-2005, 09:31 AM
does sound pretty good

buttrfli
07-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Well, what should I bring? I've never had fried okra... wouldn't recognize it if I saw it. Just a big city girl from the west. :o

oohh you are missin out! Go by a chicken place in you area and get some... even the restaraunt stuff is yummy! :) I'd send some to you, but i dount it would be edible by the time it got to you LOL

schsa
07-28-2005, 10:18 AM
I am not going into the kitchen to cook anything until the temps go below 90 degrees.

Shann
07-28-2005, 10:34 AM
covering my eyes.. I did NOT just see all that yummy food listed, I did NOT just see all that yummy food listed. ;) Well I hope you are happy first day on my diet and here you are teasing me w/ that! :mad: ;) :p

purplerose23
07-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Did you save me some???? lol

DAVESBABYDOLL
07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
What's the occasion?

tinkerbell
07-28-2005, 02:08 PM
oh my i still have the cast iron skillitt my grandmother use to make cornbread in.do you mind sharing the recipie? she use to make fudge in it to
how i have no clue but i wish i knew lol

Angelseyes28
07-28-2005, 02:23 PM
covering my eyes.. I did NOT just see all that yummy food listed, I did NOT just see all that yummy food listed. ;) Well I hope you are happy first day on my diet and here you are teasing me w/ that! :mad: ;) :p
Yikes, I am soooooo sorry!! LOL Diets suck! Hmmmm I just thought of something that we had but I didn't list...you can eat it and not kill your diet......fresh garden maters:D

No occasion DBD.....just supper:p

Come on over purplerose, there is plenty left:)

Tinkerbell, I don't exactly have a recipe, I just kinda dump stuff in lol. Ok I'll just kinda guess at it...

I use about 2 cups of cornmeal
1 egg
Not sure how much milk lol
veg oil

Pour veg oil into your skillet...add enough to cover the bottom of the skillet. Now you can either put your skillet in the oven to heat the oil or you can do it on top of the stove. Either way you want to make sure your skillet and oil are good and hot. This will help give the cornbread a good crust, plus it will keep the cornbread from sticking to the skillet.

Mix your cornmeal, egg and milk together, use enough milk to keep the batter from forming a big lump but don't add so much that the batter is soupy. LOL I know, not exactly a recipe but it's as good as I can tell ya lol. Just make sure you add the milk slow and if you see that you have added too much, just add more cornmeal. Now after your grease is good and HOT, pour your cornbread mixture in the skillet and pop it in the oven. I cook mine at 450 degrees until the top of the cornbread starts to "crack" and then I throw it in the bottom to brown a little.
Then I just take it out and dump it on my cake rack to cool.

Maybe someone will have a legitimate recipe for you, but I have never used one. My grandma taught me how to make cornbread and she doesn't believe in measuring ANYTHING LOL.

BigLyd1
07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
That cornbread sounds yummy. Sounds a lot better than the stuff in the blue boxes that I buy all the time.

Angelseyes28
07-28-2005, 02:32 PM
That cornbread sounds yummy. Sounds a lot better than the stuff in the blue boxes that I buy all the time.
Absolutely nothing beats cornbread that is cooked in a cast iron skillet. It has a crunchy crust and a nice soft inside:) I use to make Jiffy mix cornbread all the time until my grandma found out and about had a stroke lol. She said no granddaughter of hers was going to make that "fake" cornbread. LMAO So she taught me to make "real" cornbread in a cast iron skillet and that's how I have been making it ever since.
It's especially good with homemade potato soup.....MMMmmmm

DreamWarrior
07-29-2005, 05:31 PM
what time should I be there? :) lol

I was just gonna ask the same thing :D

DAVESBABYDOLL
07-30-2005, 02:41 PM
I asked "what's the occasion" because since you had alot of foodI thought maybe company was coming lol I cook big meals too, they're lucky I love to cook.

I make cornbread like that too,I also drizzle honey on top prior to baking...hhhmmmm...now,I am thinking cornbread one night this week :p

Angelseyes28
07-30-2005, 02:43 PM
I asked "what's the occasion" because since you had alot of foodI thought maybe company was coming lol I cook big meals too, they're lucky I love to cook.

I make cornbread like that too,I also drizzle honey on top prior to baking...hhhmmmm...now,I am thinking cornbread one night this week :p
LOL I love to cook I just hate to clean up the mess:p

andreame70
07-30-2005, 03:12 PM
My Grandma taught me the same way Angelseyes. I have not made any in a while because when it is at hot as this, we don't eat too many big meals. I will cook a big one maybe once a week during the summer. The rest of the time, we just make due on sandwiches, salads and other quick, heat and serve stuff.

Now in the winter, spring and fall I cook almost everyday.

DBD, that honey on the top sounds pretty good. I will have to try that the next time I make some cornbread.

Andrea