PDA

View Full Version : Moral relativity in the age of terror

janelle
07-27-2005, 11:37 AM
July 26, 2005 | 7:29 p.m. ET

Moral relativity in the age of terror (Joe Scarborough)

The American and European Left spent the better part of a century preaching moral relativity between U.S. democracy and Soviet totalitarianism. But thanks to the Internet, the most embarrassing quotes uttered by Communist sympathizers in media, government, and Hollywood from 1917 to 1989 can be found.

Funny how opinions changed after the USSR fell in 1991 and we learned the great workers' paradise killed 30 million of its own people — give or take 10 million souls.

Moral relativity in that ideological conflict ended as quickly as the Wall fell.

Today, many of the same organizations who attacked America during its war against communism are once again preaching moral relativity. But this time, our twilight battle is against terrorists.

In its recently released report "In Cold Blood," the human rights organization Amnesty International refused to call terrorists blowing up women and children in Iraq by their real name. Instead they are identified simply as "armed groups."

And while criticizing these armed groups, Amnesty goes out of its way to blast U.S. and allied forces in Iraq by saying that Americans "have themselves committed grave violations, including killings of civilians and torture of prisoners."

These charges are obscene on their face.

American troops do not grab civilians off the street, shove a video camera in their face, and carve off their head with a knife.

American troops do not detonate bombs in the middle of a group of children collecting candy.

American troops do not set out to blow up grandmothers in open-air markets.

And American troops do not have as their singular goal the creation of a civil war in Iraq. Yet these terrorists have stated time and again that civil war is their goal in Iraq.

What is so disgusting about all of this is the fact that Amnesty International is well aware of these facts. And yet, they continue preaching moral ambiguity between troops handing candy out to children and terrorists blowing up those same children.

One builds up, the other tears down; One preaches democracy, one calls for terror; One teaches, one kills.

And yet Amnesty is so blinded of their hatred of America and its president that they can no longer tell right from wrong.

schsa
07-28-2005, 05:26 AM
Amnesty Internationals job is to go out and find abuses. In many countries no one gives a dang about their opinions. After all they still consider the Saudi's one of the worst violators but the Saudi's don't care what they have to say. Our press prints their list of our violations during a time of war and the world thinks that we are terrible people. At the same time those very same countries have the same problems and we don't see the lists of how terrible they are. It's all in your perspective.

janelle
07-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Thank you schsa. I'm getting the feeling around here that we are the bad guys of the world and no other country can be worse than us. We still go in and protect most of the world's weak members. With aid to Africa and to other countries. I believe we are still number 1 in helping out other countries.

YNKYH8R
07-28-2005, 08:40 AM
No there are countries wrose than us by far. A lot of people don't like the direction we are going or how we are getting there.

janelle
07-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Well from what I have read it seems like people believe we are the main problem in the world. If I could also see these people say something positive once in a while and not just all negitivity I would agree with you. It seems like our country can do no good.

YNKYH8R
07-28-2005, 09:10 AM
No our counrty does plenty good. But with the Iraq situation going on that goes over like a fart in a crowded elevator.

janelle
07-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Not to those receiving the aid.

excuseme
07-29-2005, 09:39 AM
"Not to those receiving the aid."

You are quite right, Haliburton is loving us.

mesue
07-29-2005, 09:44 AM
"Not to those receiving the aid."

You are quite right, Haliburton is loving us.

ROTFLMAO

Willow
07-29-2005, 01:45 PM
I believe we are still number 1 in helping out other countries.

This I will agree with but what exactly is being done for our own people. Charity should begin in the home.