PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter: Good or Evil?

YNKYH8R
07-14-2005, 05:36 AM
I'm not sure if this has actually been a conversation, heck this might be the wrong venue, but I cam across this article and considering the timing I thought it might invite discussion.

Report: Pope disapproves of Harry Potter
Excerpts from letters claim books ‘distort Christianity’

Reuters
Updated: 5:45 p.m. ET July 13, 2005

BERLIN - Pope Benedict believes the Harry Potter books subtly seduce young readers and “distort Christianity in the soul” before it can develop properly, according to comments attributed to him by a German writer.

Gabriele Kuby, who has written a book called “Harry Potter -- Good or Evil,” which attacks J.K. Rowling’s best-selling series about the boy wizard, published extracts from two letters written to Kuby by Benedict in 2003, when he was a cardinal.

Kuby, a devout Catholic, had sent him a copy of her Potter critique, and he wrote to thank her, according to a passage from one of the letters published in German on her Web site.

“It is good that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because these are subtle seductions which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly,” Benedict wrote, according to the excerpt.

A Vatican official was not immediately able to comment on the remarks attributed to Benedict, who is currently on holiday in the Alps. Reuters was unable to reach Kuby by telephone.

The sixth book in the series, “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” is due to be published on July 16, with millions of copies already shipped to stores around the world.

After Benedict was named Pope in April, his own writings shot to the top of the German book charts and dislodged the most recent book in the Potter series from number one.

The Vatican had previously appeared to approve of the books, saying they helped children to understand the difference between good and evil.

Kuby maintains the opposite, listing among 10 arguments against Harry Potter: “The ability of the reader to distinguish between good and evil is overridden by emotional manipulation and intellectual obfuscation.”

In one of the letters, Benedict gives Kuby permission to publicise his opinion.

“Somehow your letter got buried in the large pile of name-day, birthday and Easter mail,” he writes.

“Finally this pile is taken care of, so that I can gladly allow you to refer to my judgement about Harry Potter.”

Vatican officials earlier this year condemned Dan Brown’s Catholic conspiracy bestseller “The Da Vinci Code.”

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone in March blasted the book as an absurd distortion of history, saying it was full of cheap lies and Catholic bookstores should take it off their shelves.

I've read all the books up until now. FYI. So what is your take?

buttrfli
07-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Yea... well the Pope disapproves of pre-marital sex, but I did it anyhow :D

;)

janelle
07-14-2005, 08:02 AM
He has a right to his opinion like the rest of us.

The pope isn't the first person to say pre-marital sex is wrong. Jesus was. LOL For those who do it forgiveness is available. Even worse sins can be forgiven.

YNKYH8R
07-14-2005, 08:06 AM
LMAO! I don't think HP is in to pre-marital sex!

turbob
07-14-2005, 08:15 AM
The Pope is entitled to his own opinion. It's when he and others USE their personal opinion to dictate to others what they should think/feel/do that bothers me. As for the book, it is fiction. I personally find the Harry Potter series and other books a magical escape from the horrors of this world. In my mind, how your child develops has a LOT more to do with how they are raised than what they read.

justme23
07-14-2005, 08:23 AM
I don't see a thing wrong with it -- infact, I think it's great that there are finally books for this generation that kids WANT to sit down and read. Reading is far better for the brain than television and video games!

janelle
07-14-2005, 08:40 AM
I think the movie was cute. I haven't read the books. I'll watch the movies.

buttrfli brought up pre-marital sex, I didn't. :confused:

buttrfli
07-14-2005, 08:46 AM
LMAO! I don't think HP is in to pre-marital sex!

That would not only be a sin, but illegal as well! :eek: lol

ahippiechic
07-14-2005, 09:56 AM
That would not only be a sin, but illegal as well! :eek: lol

:D LMAO~

YNKYH8R
07-14-2005, 11:26 AM
The books are so worth reading. The first two are good, but kind of fluffy. From book 3 to 5; a lot of drama and awesome endings.

schsa
07-14-2005, 11:30 AM
If Harry Potter is trouble then so is Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and just about every fairy tale that has ever been written. They all deal in someway with something magical happening. And it's not all good.

And do I really care about the Pope's opinion? No!

DIRKSWIFE4
07-14-2005, 11:52 AM
my son has read and reread these books and I figure how can anything that keeps a kid reading be evil???
He wants to be at Walmart at midnight tomorrow to get the new one, we put our deposit on it to guarentee we get it.

Willow
07-14-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't think the books are evil. That's just ridiculous. I haven't read all of the books but I have seen all of the movies that have been made so far. I just got an email a few days ago about the new book being in books stores on the 16th.

tigger4
07-14-2005, 03:36 PM
My 13 year old son was watching CNN last night (yeah I know he's an unusual kid) and was not too happy to hear what the pope had to say about Harry. Of course we won't get into my son's opinions on the pope.

My kids love Harry Potter. We have the entire set of books (I got the set in hard back for $20 at the Scholastic warehouse sale last year) and they are anxiously awaiting to see if they are the lucky winner of the new book from the Harry Potter week drawing at the library on Monday. If not, I will definitely buy it for them.

The books teach some great lessons. Such as, diversity (such as liking people even though they are just muggles ;) ), friendship, the power of love (remember how that guy I can't remember his name turned to dust in the first book when Harry touched him because of the love of Harry's mother, and I could go on forever; but I won't bore you anymore than I have. :D

janelle
07-14-2005, 08:00 PM
I heard that John Paul didn't have anything against the books. Not sure what the current pope really thinks. May just be hearsay. :confused:

janelle
07-15-2005, 02:37 AM
http://www.flowgo.com/funpages/view.cfm/12137

HMMM I guess there will be some sex in the new upcoming book. LOL :p

Tulsa_para
07-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Lmao, I was drinking a coke as I scrolled down to get my sneak peak of the new HP book.... and promptly spewed coke all over the place as I rolled with laughter-totally caught me off guard! :D

laughsalot
07-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Well I am 31 and I dont have kids but I do love the Harry Potter books. I am anxiously awaiting book 6! If I did have kids I would want them to read these books!