PDA

View Full Version : It worked for Mama...

YankeeMary
05-29-2005, 04:50 PM
hopefully it will for me...
I was hoping one of you had a receipe for homemade cherry pie. My neighbor has cherry trees and told me to take all that I want...woo hoo...so I thought I would try to make a pie...thanks in advance.

buttrfli
05-29-2005, 05:00 PM
shouldn't you be supervising something?? LOL

assuming that you know how to make a crust, here is a recipe for the filling :)

Homemade Cherry Pie Filling

4 cups cherries, rinsed, stemmed and pitted
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Combine cherries, sugar and lemon juice in a mixing bowl, stir and let sit for at least 6 hours, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Drain off and reserve cherry syrup.
Combine a small amount of syrup to cornstarch to make a paste, then whisk cornstarch paste back into syrup. Pour mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the drained cherries and almond extract.
Cool, and store in sterilized, airtight jars or freeze in heavy freezer bags.
Makes about 5 cups.

buttrfli
05-29-2005, 05:01 PM
this sounds much better...

Cherry Cobbler with Crumb Topping
INGREDIENTS:

1 can cherry pie filling
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 to 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
butter-flavored vegetable spray
PREPARATION:

Spray a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Pour cherry pie filling into casserole. Mix butter, oatmeal, flour, sugar and pecans until crumbly; sprinkle over cherry pie filling. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes.
Serves 8.

I guess you can make you own filling with the 1st recipe LOL ... I posted b4 I realized it calls for filling LOL its still sounds better tho! :P

mmmm now I am hungry lol

YankeeMary
05-29-2005, 05:04 PM
shouldn't you be supervising something?? LOL

assuming that you know how to make a crust, here is a recipe for the filling :)

Well you know what they say about assuming...lol...I guess I should have also asked for a receipe for the crust. BRAT!!!

queenangie
05-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Mary, you do you have one of those handy dandy cherry pitters?

Otherwise, you have to do it by hand.

My Mom's Never Fail Pie Crust:

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup shortening
1 egg
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
5 tablespoons water

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Mix well, then cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
In a small bowl, combine egg, vinegar, and 4 tablespoons of water. Whisk together, then add gradually to flour mixture, stirring with a fork. Mix until dough forms a ball. Add one more tablespoon of water if necessary.
Allow dough to rest in refrigerator 10 minutes before rolling out.

purplerose23
05-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Heres a good one! (good for summer!)

IF YOUR IN A HURRY...COOL & SUMMERY! EVERYONE LOVES BANANA SPLITS. THIS IS VERY EASY TO MAKE. THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES THIS BETTER IS HOMEMADE VANILLA PUDDING.

Ingredients:

1 BAKED 9 INCH PIE SHELL
1 PKG. VANILLA INSTANT PUDDING MIX
1 CUP MILK
1 CAN (12OZ) CRUSHED PINEAPPLE, DRAINED- SAVING THE JUICE
2 BANANAS
1 (16OZ) FROZEN WHIPPED TOPPING (THAWED)
1/4 CUP CHOPPED NUTS
MARASCHINO CHERRIES
CHOCOLATE SYRUP
Directions:
USING 1 CUP OF MILK, PREPARE INSTANT PUDDING MIX AS DIRECTED ON PACKAGE. SPREAD PUDDING MIXTURE OVER BOTTOM OF BAKED PIE SHELL. LAYER DRAINED PINEAPPLE OVER PUDDING. SLICE BANANAS INTO THE PINEAPPLE JUICE, (IT HELPS KEEP THEM FROM TURNING BROWN) THEN DRAIN & LAYER BANANAS OVER PINEAPPLE. COVER WITH WHIPPED TOPPING, SPRINKLE WITH CHOPPED NUTS & GARNISH WITH CHERRIES. JUST BEFORE SERVING LIGHTLY DRIZZLE WITH CHOCOLATE SRYUP.

ENJOY!!

MamaFairal
05-29-2005, 06:48 PM
ahh man im coming to your house Mary...sounds much better than my cake :) Yum!

YankeeMary
05-30-2005, 06:42 AM
Thank you everyone so much. I intend to try all receipes listed. He has a bazillion trees...and no I do not have a cherry pitter. To be honest I didn't know there was such a thing..lol..I guess I need to go buy one of those...thanks all for your help...Mama come on over...

buttrfli
05-30-2005, 06:46 AM
I wonder how well a cobbler would travel through the mail??? ;) LOL

janelle
05-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Isn't pitting a cherry by hand kinda like peeling a grape? LOL

Not for me but good luck. I would just wash them and eat, eat, eat. I ate bags of them last summer. My favorite and the store had some good ones. Can't wait until they have them again. Yummmmm. I are grapes this winter but I like cherries better.