PDA

View Full Version : Making hubby a birthday cake, need crunchy bottom recipe

mesue
05-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Years ago my sister-in-law baked a cake, it called for very few ingredients and it was a very thin layer hard crunchy cake and then you put pudding on top and topped with whip cream or fruit or whatever you wanted. Anyway yesterday was hubby's birthday and since he works from 4:30pm -3 am and I was just useless yesterday he did not get a cake. Does anyone have a recipe or idea how to make this crunchy cake mix? You are probably wondering why I do not call the SIL, we have not spoken in three or more years and probably never will again. I already looked for it on the internet so you guys are my last hope.

Kyla Kym
05-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Maybe another member of the family that you are speaking terms with might know? If you find out, let us know. I'm curious myself about it now. Sounds good. :)

MamaFairal
05-26-2005, 04:16 PM
my ex MIL used to make this and call it 4 layer dessert.

Graham cracker crust
layer of cream cheese
layer of chocolate pudding
layer of whipped cream

Is this close to what your looking for?

mesue
05-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks, I might have to try that one, but no this is something along the lines of a mixture of flour and eggs and a sugar and ??, it all about mostly regular scratch cake recipe but a small amount of some things and a lot of a couple other things that makes it turn out crunchy. I don't think anyone else has the recipe. And i definitely Would never ask her.
Besides the fact that I already disliked my two faced bible thumping holier than thou SIL who took great pleasure in eveyones else pain and gossiping about it and making fun of people (please for anyone who is religious I recognize that my SIL does not represent you guys well at all) the family reunion was held at her house and since I have a bad back and needed to lay down and take my pain pills I asked to lay down in one of the bedrooms, there was no place to even sit down in the living room. I've got a disk that is totally gone so I have to rest my back a lot. I fell asleep and every once in a while would wake up to see some of the smaller children going through drawers. I told them not to do that (they were my great nieces and great nephews) later she accused me of going through her stuff looking for something.
We all believe that her mother left a will but I am not dumb enough to think it would still be in the house or be going through her things, I am sure if a will was left it was burned up long ago. Anyway I guess she was feeling guilty, I don't know how many times she has complained about kids going through her things when certain members of the family visit. Anyway hubby and me no longer speak to her. She had been mad at us for a long time before that since hubby had informed her not to call here gossiping, if she knew a member of the family needed him that was one thing but to call and be so overjoyed because someone in the family was having problems and expect him to gossip about it with her then she need not call. She is one of these people who thinks if your kids look bad it makes her kids look better and she is also going to make sure everyone in the country knows about it. About the only thing good I can say about this woman is she is a good cook and thats it. LOL

mesue
05-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Well after searching and searching I finally gave up and baked one I thought was the right combination, it wasn't but since hubby is supposed to be on a diabetic diet and I used all the diabetic sweetener I had in it, I had to use it anyway, it was so spongy and tough it was not edible I finally dug out enough to put in my small food processer and turn it into crumbs and then I made a cheesecake and put on top of the crumbs and then topped it off with bananas and whip cream. then he had the nerve to tell me it was good but I fixed it as much for me as for him, I told him he was nuts if it were only me I would live on sandwiches and would never cook again.