PDA

View Full Version : New Paypal phish fraud

jvbs
05-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Watch if you get anything claiming to be from PayPal. I've gotten 2 in the last couple days, one claiming I'd requested password info and one saying I'd added a new email to my account. The 2nd one is copied below. You'll notice that the links don't take you where they claim, and it doesn't address me by name. If you get any suspicious emails about PayPal, you can forward them to Spoof@PayPal.com.

Here's the 2nd phishing attempt I received today:

You have added sellall1@aol.com as a new email address for your
PayPal account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with
your account, please contact PayPal customer service at:

https://www.paypal.com/row/wf/f=ap_email

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the
"Help" link in the header of any page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
https://www.paypal.com/.Protect yourself against fraudulent websites
by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and typing
in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

----------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal Email ID PP007

malewis
05-22-2005, 12:20 PM
I got some a few weeks ago and forwarded to PayPal. Of course, they weren't from them. Just to be safe I changed my password.

prozac121
05-22-2005, 03:03 PM
I just recieved this message from paypal, and I'm kind of leery about it. Its asking me for all my credit card info again. Does anyone know anything about this. :confused:

Dear valued PayPalŪ member,

Due to recent fraudulent transactions, we have issued the following security requirements.

It has come to our attion that 95% of all fraudulent transactions are caused by members using stolen credit cards to purchase or sell non existant items. Thus we require our members to add a Debit/Check card to their billing records as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. Your Debit/Check card will only be used to identify you. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and renew your records you will not run into any future problems with the PayPalŪ service. However, failure to confirm your records will result in your account suspension.

Once you have updated your account records your pending PayPalŪ account transactions will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your billing records please login to your account by clicking here.

malewis
05-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Don't do it. Forward it to Spoof@PayPal.com.
and they will tell you it isn't from them.

littlefeet60
05-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I just recieved this message from paypal, and I'm kind of leery about it. Its asking me for all my credit card info again. Does anyone know anything about this. :confused:

Dear valued PayPalŪ member,

Due to recent fraudulent transactions, we have issued the following security requirements.

It has come to our attion that 95% of all fraudulent transactions are caused by members using stolen credit cards to purchase or sell non existant items. Thus we require our members to add a Debit/Check card to their billing records as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. Your Debit/Check card will only be used to identify you. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and renew your records you will not run into any future problems with the PayPalŪ service. However, failure to confirm your records will result in your account suspension.

Once you have updated your account records your pending PayPalŪ account transactions will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your billing records please login to your account by clicking here.

PayPal will NEVER start out with by addressing you as Dear Member they will always start off with Dear (your name)!! I think this has been said here before but once again you can download a free browser extention called a SpoofStick which will tell you what site you are really on. They have it available for IE & Foxfire. You can get it here SpoofStick (http://www.corestreet.com/spoofstick/)

lpelham
05-23-2005, 05:03 AM
They are getting really good! The last email I got from "Paypal" looked real. It even had the "Click here if you think this is a fraudulent email" link. When you click on it, it looks like Paypal's help section. Theonly thing that clued me into the fact that this was fake was instead of a 800 number, it listed a 402 number (wherever THAT is!).

Libby

kittykat79
05-23-2005, 05:19 AM
i got the same email, but i deleted it...since i had just checked my account and was no alert there for me.

stephanie

thanks for the heads up though!

yorkeeee
05-23-2005, 05:53 AM
mine said "update your personal info or your account will be cancelled."

yeah right. :mad:

just delete everything that seems to be from paypal and asks for info. they just don't send you stuff like this. don't click on any link in the email at all.

:( :mad: :( :mad:

fancy818
05-23-2005, 07:38 AM
I got a few emails like this several weeks ago and forward them to Paypal and remember when paypal emails you they address you by name!

magickay
05-23-2005, 07:41 AM
I've received several of these, and forward all of them to spoof@paypal.com. Remember to include all the header information if possible so they can track down the fraudulant senders.