PDA

View Full Version : Do I have any recourse?

Dawnathon
05-18-2005, 03:59 PM
I sent a computer well packed to Florida from Wisconsin, and when it got there it was in pieces on the inside. Good thing I purchased $800 worth of insurance right? Wrong. DHL/Airborne Express sent an "inspector" to look at the damage and it was deemed that I didn't pack it well enough. I replied that I couldn't have packed it better as it was bubbled wrapped and in packing peanuts in a sturdy box. They replied that they don't insure computers not in their original packaging. Now, the store that I sent this from (OfficeLacks) did not tell me this and I informed them of what was inside when I purchased the extra insurance.

I know I could demand my insurance money back but that $12 in insurance money doesn't make up for the $800 computer they trashed.

I have a feeling they deny a lot of claims as they seem to be "self-insuring". Do I have any recourse as to my denied claim? There must be a regulating commission or something since they are shipping across state lines.

If you can help I would be much obliged!!

Tisky67
05-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Did you have to declare the package contents on the insurance form ?

If so I know UPS has to sign off on the package contents, so if the person accepting the package knew the contents & still signed off on it, they should have to honor the insurance.

buttrfli
05-18-2005, 04:47 PM
If it were in that many pieces, you'd think that DHL would have heard something ratteling around (or maybe they did and don't want to take responsibility?)

I don't have any advice, but I know I'll never use DHL.

llbriteyes
05-18-2005, 06:15 PM
As long as you have your original paperwork, you should be ok. Make sure that you make copies of it so you can send to the proper people.

Good luck.

Linda

iluvmybaby
05-18-2005, 09:23 PM
The only time I sent something DHL it arrived like it has been thru a hurricane, the seller was so upset thinking I had mispackaged it, until they logged inside and saw all the bubble rap and peanuts ((I put a lot of thought into packaging)) It sounds like you are a responsaible trader Dawn, I know that you would send something THAT expensive well packaged, from now on go UPS for large packages, it is cheaper then USPS and I have had less problems w/ them. Please keep us updated!

redrig
05-19-2005, 06:49 AM
I would check into what "OfficeLacks" policy is on the insurance and read all the fine print on the paperwork they gave you. If OfficeSlacks didn't provide you with the correct insurance information regarding what is and is not acceptable per the carrier's rules EVEN THOUGH you told them what you were shipping, I might try and get the money from Officeslackers. But definitely read the fine print on your paperwork, they might have a lot of CYA in there!

schsa
05-19-2005, 06:50 AM
We ship computers all across the United States. There isn't one delivery service out there that will cover a broken computer if it is not in the original packing and even then they will argue with you if the box has been opened.

I am sorry to say that you are probably out of luck. They don't have to budge and they won't. You can try going up the food chain and complain but they really are insistant on the original packing.