PDA

View Full Version : Another Ebay question

wyozozo
05-11-2005, 08:39 AM
I recently bid on and won a wireless router for my computer. Prior to bidding I wrote the seller and asked what the shipping would be. She said it would be approx. $5.00. When the auction ended (05/07) I received an invoice for the bid price ($18.50) + shipping ($5.15) and promptly paid w/PayPal.

Today I received an email from the seller telling me she weighed the wrong item and I owed an additional $4.00 for shipping. Here is the reply she received:

I'm sorry for your mistake but as this shipping seems excessive to me (granted I do not know what this item weighs) I would rather just have a refund to my paypal account.

My question is....can she do this? :confused: Seems to me it's her mistake.

princessNC
05-11-2005, 08:44 AM
any "good" Ebayer would respecfully admit there mistake, and not take it out on you!~

I think that this person is an idot! She should chalk up the extra shipping charge as her mistake!. If she dosent give you a refund call pay-pal!

wyozozo
05-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Thank you! That's what I thought too! Not my fault she had a "duh" moment!! :rolleyes:

newgranny
05-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Not sure if she can or not but I sell on ebay if i was her I'd take my losses I seems pretty excessive to me routers don't weigh that much

lisahiser
05-11-2005, 09:20 AM
I would say its her mistake, but I would contact ebay and find out, after she did send you and invoice stating what the charges were to be.....
I don't think things can be changed after you have had an invoice sent to you and you have already paid for the item plus the shipping.
Better to contact ebay.

buttrfli
05-11-2005, 09:25 AM
I would have asked for a refund as well. If she refuses, just ask her how much it weighs and how she is shipping it so you can see if the $4 extra is justified.

Usually when I ask for a shipping estimate, I ask if they can give me a range within about $3 either way.

I also agree that routers really don't weigh that much.

Eyore
05-11-2005, 09:31 AM
If I am reading this correctly and understanding it correctly she can change it.
But then again I have been known to misread.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-faqs.html#18

Can I change the shipping amount once the item closes?
Yes, if you send an eBay invoice to the buyer or you enter payment details in Selling Manager, the shipping and insurance charges you enter will override the shipping calculator. The buyer will be charged the amounts you enter. You can send an invoice from the Item Listing, My eBay, End of Auction email, and other places.

Willow
05-11-2005, 09:31 AM
The seller could put the router in a priority box and it would only cost $3.85 I'm sure it doesn't weigh that much.

wyozozo
05-11-2005, 09:33 AM
If I am reading this correctly and understanding it correctly she can change it.

Yes, if you send an eBay invoice to the buyer or you enter payment details in Selling Manager, the shipping and insurance charges you enter will override the shipping calculator. The buyer will be charged the amounts you enter. You can send an invoice from the Item Listing, My eBay, End of Auction email, and other places.

She didn't change it after it closed...she changed it AFTER I paid via PayPal. She wrote and asked for an additional $4.00 for shipping...

Here is her email to me:

Dear wyozozo,

Hi, I'm sorry I made a mistake on your shipping price. I mixed it up with a lighter Netgear item, your right shipping is 9.15. Is there any way you would be able to sent 4.00 so I can get this out to you. Thank You, Leah

Apparently she got $5.15 shipping for this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45002&item=5772396695
This item is brand new, Netgear Wireles USB Adapter 2.4 GHz, 11 Mbps. Here are some of it features: *Compatible with Windows 98, ME, 2000, and XP *External, USB 1.1 802.11b wireless network adapter *Hardware-based 40/64 and 128-bit WEP encryption *Automatic rate fallback *Compact and attractively styled If you have any questions please e-mail me. Which seems excessive to me.

Eyore
05-11-2005, 09:39 AM
That I don't think they can do. Send ebay a email and ask them about it or go to there live help. That doesn't sound right to me that she can do that.
I used to sell on Ebay and anytime I messed up on shipping I ate the difference.
Good Luck on getting this straightened out. Hopefully she won't push for it and will go ahead and send the item for what you have already paid.

lisahiser
05-11-2005, 09:39 AM

according to what I read, she has to send it to you in an invoice form from ebay, if the shipping is to be changed, but nothing on there stated if it can be changed after the item has been paid for. I would ask her how she is shipping it and how much it weighs too. like Patchouli said, it can be shipped priority for $3.85 those things don't weigh but maybe 1-3 pounds if even that.

bribella
05-11-2005, 09:43 AM
ITA that it is her fault that she miscalculated shipping(if she really did).

I sold someone here a box of clothes that weighed 8lbs and when I got to the post office the shipping was $10 more than I had calculated( because of the size of the box).

I ended up paying almost $18 and I sold the box of clothes for $14.50 shipped. I shipped it anyway as it was my mistake.

ebgreen74
05-11-2005, 10:24 AM
if a seller tries to change the terms of the auction after its over, you have every right to back out of the auction.

buttrfli
05-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Did initially send you an invoice with the first shipping amount? If so, then she really dosen't have a leg to stand on. She should have taken care of all of that BEFORE sending you the invoice. She has sold enough items on Ebay to know how to handel being a seller by now.

freebielover
05-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Send it in 50 cent increments using a credit card (assuming she has an upgraded account) She wont get a dime in paypal fees, Whoops! Your mistake!! $9 is excessive for a router, my router weighs about a 1/2 pound in the box so I would ask for weight.

BlueBerriTerri
05-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Look online for that particular model of router and check the specs. It should tell you how much it weighs. And I would ask for it to be shipped in a priority box for the fixed shipping amount. If she refuses, it seems a little fishy to me.

LuvBigRip
05-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Good Grief, they have flat rate priority boxes, that no matter how much it weighs can be sent for $7.70. The box is more than large enough for a router. I say the seller is SOL.

freebielover
05-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah I had forgotten about those boxes. They are MORE than sufficient for a router thats for sure, and it doesnt cost her anything in materials. Ask her to ship like that and she will only lose out on $2.

wyozozo
05-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Look online for that particular model of router and check the specs. It should tell you how much it weighs. And I would ask for it to be shipped in a priority box for the fixed shipping amount. If she refuses, it seems a little fishy to me.

http://www.netgear.com/pdf_docs/WGR614v5_ds_17Nov04.pdf

According to the Netgear website this item weighs 0.7lbs!!!! Must be coming in a gold plated box!!!

wyozozo
05-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Here is the second email I sent:

Dear 4sellingit,

As this item only weighs 0.7 lbs. I find it hard to believe it will cost $9.15 to ship from CO to WY. How were you planning shipping?

Surprisingly she hasn't responded to either email.....

freebielover
05-11-2005, 12:17 PM
I would say shes out of luck, give her a day or 2 to respond then file for a refund, thats ridiculous. Talk about trying to nickel and dime you. How many people do you think would have just paid it?

wyozozo
05-12-2005, 04:24 PM
She finally replied:

This router's weight is more than 0.7lbs It is over 2 and 1/2 lbs. so shipping will cost more than 5.00. Please get back to me. Leah

Here was my reply:

I still prefer a refund as you could ship it flat rate priority for $7.70...and you still won't say what shipping method you are using. According to the USPS web site a 3 lb. package would cost:

$4.75 Priority
$7.70 priority flat rate
$4.11 parcel post

a 4 lb. package would be:

$5.50 priority
$7.70 priority flat rate
$4.62 parcel post

I REFUSE to pay excessive handling charges to a seller! Please refund my payment.

Willow
05-12-2005, 04:38 PM
She finally replied:

This router's weight is more than 0.7lbs It is over 2 and 1/2 lbs. so shipping will cost more than 5.00. Please get back to me. Leah

Here was my reply:

I still prefer a refund as you could ship it flat rate priority for $7.70...and you still won't say what shipping method you are using. According to the USPS web site a 3 lb. package would cost:

$4.75 Priority
$7.70 priority flat rate
$4.11 parcel post

a 4 lb. package would be:

$5.50 priority
$7.70 priority flat rate
$4.62 parcel post

I REFUSE to pay excessive handling charges to a seller! Please refund my payment.

I'm glad you aren't letting her get away with over charging on the shipping. That drives me crazy when sellers try that.