View Full Version : Precious Doe identified finally

Jolie Rouge
05-06-2005, 07:17 AM
AND IT WAS HER OWN PARENTS WHO KILLED AND DUMPED HER HERE IN KC

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/4452082/detail.html

2 Charged With Murder In 'Precious Doe' Slaying
Slain Girl Is 3-Year-Old Erica Green, Police Say
May 5, 2005

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A four-year mystery was solved Thursday when Kansas City police announced that the young girl known as Precious Doe had been identified and two people were charged in the case.

The girl, whose decapitated body was found near Hibbs Park on April 28, 2001, was identified as Erica Michelle Marie Green, 3. "We have closure," Police Chief James Corwin said. "The little girl that we've known for four years as Precious Doe has a name."

Michelle M. Johnson, 30, of Muskogee, Okla., and her husband, Harrell Johnson, 25, were charged with endangering the welfare of a child and second-degree felony murder of Green, who is Michelle Johnson's daughter.
Police said Michelle Johnson has been cooperative in their investigation; she has indicated her husband actually carried out the killing.

Angry Over Bedtime

Police said that Harrell Johnson admitted that one night late in April 2001, under the influence of alcohol and the hallucinogenic drug PCP, he became angry with Erica when she refused to go to bed. He allegedly said he grabbed her, kicked her, and threw her to the ground, causing her to hit her head and fall unconscious. She was left on the floor for two days.

According to a probable cause statement filed in Circuit Court, the Johnsons did not seek medical treatment for the girl because both had outstanding warrants for their arrests.

The child died, police said, and the couple carried the body to a church parking lot, then through the woods, where the stepfather allegedly cut the girl's head off with hedge clippers. Several days after the girl's body was found, her head was found nearby, wrapped in a trash bag.

"What I hope and pray is that she was not alive when this took place," Mayor Pro Tem Alvin Brooks said. "I don't know. Maybe that will come out in the end, and maybe the medical examiner already knows and the police department. But I hope and pray, and please join me in that hopefulness and prayerfulness, that she was not alive when this took place. That would be beyond horrific. That would be beyond the savagery that it is already."

In the months following, hundreds volunteered to answer witness hot lines and pass out fliers with an artist's rendering of the girl; hundreds more prayed and sang at candlelight vigils. More than 1,000 leads poured in to authorities and the case never totally left locals' consciousness.

The break apparently came after community activist Alonzo Washington, who has long championed efforts to find out who the young black girl was, placed another advertisement seeking leads in a local newspaper. "There's something about it that just bothers me, that a child could be thrown away and people forget about it," Washington said.

An Oklahoma man that had been in contact with police before on the case came forward again, talking with detectives and Washington last weekend.

The man claimed to know the identity of Precious Doe and who killed her. The tipster said the mother of Precious Doe came to Kansas City in 2001 seeking a job, but became involved in drugs, Washington said.

Washington said the source then sent photographs of the child as well as hair samples from both the child and the mother.

Washington said the informant was a grandfather of one of the individuals involved in the case.

Several Kansas City officers went to Muskogee, Okla., on Wednesday to check out the tip. The girl's identity was released at about 1 a.m. Thursday.

A picture used by Kansas City media and police during the news Conference was the wrong picture, police said after the news conference. Oklahoma police saw the picture and said it appeared to be one of the girl's cousins.

Oklahoma records show that Michelle Johnson has convictions for theft and forgery. The stepfather, being held at a Muskogee jail on unrelated charges, has convictions for several offenses, including assault with a dangerous weapon and possessing a sawed-off shotgun.

Prosecutor Mike Sanders said the couple would be extradited to Kansas City as soon as possible. He said he did not expect to file charges against any other individuals.

Authorities said the Johnsons had been staying with friends or family in Kansas City at the time of Erica's death and had only been here for a short time. Police closed off the street Thursday and stood outside the rundown home where the alleged killing took place, which is only a few blocks from where the child's body was found.

Thought Child Was In Illinois

The child's biological father, Larry Green, is in jail in Tulsa, Okla., on unrelated charges. He said he had just learned of his daughter's death Thursday. "She wasn't a crybaby -- she was the type of child that just smiled, never cried; she was so beautiful, she was beautiful," Green said.

Green said Erica's mother told him the girl had been living with relatives in Illinois. "She was supposed to be in Illinois, and back and forth with Michelle ... I never did hardly catch up and see her that much," Green said.

Green said he has five children with Michelle Johnson.

Community Reacts To News

Locals who long had been transfixed by the case heralded news of the arrests. Billy Stegall, a retired postal worker and Army sergeant, discovered Erica's head in 2001 and has gone back to the site regularly to pray.

"This is a day I have been looking for ... I just asked the Lord to say who she is so she could be at peace, because she wasn't at peace and I wasn't at peace," Stegall said. "Now we have a name and hopefully we can close this. It's not Precious Doe. We do have a name."

In a park near where Precious Doe's body was found, a makeshift memorial of poems, teddy bears and flowers grew in the months after her death before eventually being replaced by a permanent memorial. On Thursday morning, among flowers and balloons, a handwritten sign announced the news: "My Name Is Erica Michelle Maria Green."

Washington went to visit the park's memorial Thursday morning. He told KMBC that he was overjoyed that the case had been solved. "I was out here just Thursday, saying that one tip can solve this case. I did not know two days later that tip would come in," Washington said. "So, I'm overjoyed and happy to know that Erica Green is Precious Doe. We have a name to our child."

Teresa Perry of the Precious Doe committee told KMBC that she cried when she heard the news. "This is wonderful news. This is a blessing. We're thanking God," Perry said.

A memorial service for Erica Green will be held Saturday at 2 p.m. at Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church.

[b]Precious Doe Timeline[b]
May 5, 2005

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A timeline of events from 2001 to present in the Precious Doe case:

April 28, 2001: The headless body of a young girl is found in a wooded area near Hibbs Park in southeast Kansas City. Three days later, a volunteer searcher finds the girl's head in a trash bag nearby in the woods.

May 31, 2001: One of the first of several apparent breaks in the case comes to naught when DNA shows the girl found in Kansas City -- dubbed "Precious Doe" by community activists -- is not Teekah Lewis, a missing 2-year-old from Tacoma, Wash.

Aug. 31, 2001: After a computer-generated sketch fails to lead to an identification -- despite more than 600 tips and the case having been featured three times on the Fox series "America's Most Wanted" -- police unveil a bust created from the girl's skull by forensic artist Frank Bender of Philadelphia.

Dec. 8, 2001: After a 90-minute memorial service, the still-unidentified girl is buried in Memorial Park Cemetery, not far from where her body was found.

May 1, 2002: Police say the palm prints of a missing Miami girl, Rilya Wilson, do not match those of the body found in Kansas City. DNA testing later confirms that Rilya, who went missing from the Florida foster care system in January 2001, is not Precious Doe.

May 23, 2003: Police release front- and side-view sketches of what they believe Precious Doe looks like.

July 15, 2003: Precious Doe's body is exhumed, and her skull taken to Louisiana by forensic anthropologist Mary Manhein of Louisiana State University, who plans to sculpt what investigators hope will be a more accurate likeness of the little girl.

Sept. 19, 2003: Police begin circulating images of the bust created at Louisiana State.

Aug. 28, 2004: A memorial park is dedicated, near where Precious Doe's body was found. The park, featuring a pair of white concrete benches and two newly planted trees, replaces an impromptu memorial at the site. It was taken down in July, after neighbors said it had become run down and an eyesore.

April 29, 2005: Police and activists receive a tip from an Oklahoma man who says he is a relative of the slain girl and knows her identity and who killed her.

May 5, 2005: Police say Precious Doe was Erica Michelle Marie Green, who was almost 4 when she died. Her mother, Michelle M. Johnson, 30, was arrested in Oklahoma and was charged with murder and endangering the welfare of a child. Police said her husband was also being held in Oklahoma, but no immediate charges were brought against him. Police said Johnson told them her husband, Erica's stepfather, killed the girl with a kick to the head and used hedge clippers to decapitate her.

Jaidness
05-06-2005, 08:09 AM
this makes me ill ... I am glad they found out who did it and hope they get theirs.

queenangie
05-06-2005, 04:12 PM
That poor little girl!

Brings tears to my eyes just reading the story.

They should never have had children.

nightrider127
05-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Too bad the both of them didn't get charged with capital murder. They both deserve the chair or however that state does that kind of thing.

DAVESBABYDOLL
05-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Too bad the both of them didn't get charged with capital murder. They both deserve the chair or however that state does that kind of thing.

No kidding :(

VALENA-)45
05-08-2005, 02:05 PM
I am so happy they have finally gotten a name for the baby. I have been following this story since it first came out. They need to charge them with capital murder, and let them die the same way they killed Erica, decapitation. Now she is with her true father, God, may she rests in peace.

Peanut818
05-12-2005, 06:37 PM

Sorry to disagree, but they deserve me to get ahold of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear if anyone would ever do this to my son or another child I am close to or even know they better hope the cops get to them before I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Does any child deserve this? I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dv8grl
10-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Deliberations begin in Mo. 'Precious Doe' case

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081008/ap_on_re_us/precious_doe;_ylt=Ao03MM9sY0F7gFd_31O8COSs0NUE

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Jurors began deliberating the case Wednesday of a man accused of kicking a 3-year-old girl in the head, waiting hours without seeking help while she died, then decapitating the girl and dumping her body.

During closing arguments, Jackson County prosecutors told jurors that Harrell Johnson, 29, of Muskogee, Okla., killed Erica Green, the daughter of his girlfriend at the time, by kicking her in the head in 2001 and failing to seek medical help.

"This selfish coward made the decision to put himself before this 3-year-old child's life," said prosecutor Jim Kanatzar.

Johnson is charged with first-degree murder, endangering the welfare of a child, abuse of a child resulting in death and abuse of a child. If convicted of the murder charge, Johnson would be sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Defense attorney Chris Slusher told the jury that Johnson didn't know the girl would die. He said prosecutors haven't proven that Johnson is guilty of deliberately intending her death.

"It's our position to you that the evidence in this case has not established that Harrell Johnson intended or deliberately meant for Erica Green to die," Slusher said.

A police officer found Erica's naked, headless body in a wooded area of Kansas City in April 2001. Lacking an identity, she was known only as "Precious Doe" until 2005, when a community activist received a tip from Johnson's grandfather in Muskogee, Okla., where he lived with Erica's mother, whom he married a year after the girl's death.

Johnson's trial began Monday in Jackson County Circuit Court, and prosecutors completed their presentation Tuesday with testimony from Johnson's wife, Michelle Johnson, and a videotaped confession by the defendant.

Michelle Johnson, 33, pleaded guilty last year to second-degree murder in Erica's death.

She testified Tuesday that Harrell Johnson was high on drugs when he kicked Erica at the Kansas City home where they were staying. She said she knew the girl would die but that they didn't seek medical help for fear of being arrested on outstanding warrants.

A pediatric neurosurgeon testified Monday that if the couple had quickly sought medical attention for Erica, doctors probably could have reversed the damage.

Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty, partly because Johnson agreed to withdraw his request to have the case moved out of Kansas City.

atprm
10-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Defense attorney Chris Slusher told the jury that Johnson didn't know the girl would die. He said prosecutors haven't proven that Johnson is guilty of deliberately intending her death.

"It's our position to you that the evidence in this case has not established that Harrell Johnson intended or deliberately meant for Erica Green to die," Slusher said.

he didn't mean for her to die? wtf??? he kicked her in the head! What more do you need?

then he decapitated her??

this is just sick, sick, sick!

gmyers
10-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I can't believe the so called mom said she knew she was going to die but didn't seek medical treatment because they were worried about their sorry asses. What kind of mom could sit there for two days and let her slowly die. There's some truly sorry people in this world. And they're not even going for the death penalty. This was horrendous what they did to her. This is an example of what I've been saying that childrens lives don't seem to matter anymore.

dv8grl
10-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Murdererhttp://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1458/6785198/17706858/337851004.jpg

Murdererhttp://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1458/6785198/17706858/337851003.jpg

Jolie Rouge
10-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Man convicted of murder in Mo. 'Precious Doe' case
By ANDALE GROSS, Associated Press Writer
5 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A man has been convicted in Missouri of killing a 3-year-old girl who became known as "Precious Doe" after her decapitated body was found in 2001.

A jury convicted 29-year-old Harrell Johnson of first-degree murder Wednesday in the death of Erica Green.

Johnson kicked her, then left her to die in a Kansas City home where he and the girl's mother were staying. He cut her head off and dumped the body in the woods.

A police officer found later found the body in April 2001. Her identity was unknown until 2005, when a community activist received a tip from the suspect's grandfather in Oklahoma.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081008/ap_on_re_us/precious_doe;_ylt=AhM5Cs9.EMtA2LG4Mg4hRcms0NUE

I can't believe the so called mom said she knew she was going to die but didn't seek medical treatment because they were worried about their sorry asses. What kind of mom could sit there for two days and let her slowly die. There's some truly sorry people in this world. And they're not even going for the death penalty. This was horrendous what they did to her. This is an example of what I've been saying that childrens lives don't seem to matter anymore.

Put him in Gen Pop ... it will save the State a lot of money in the long run. Child Killers do NOT do well in Prison Community. Double for the female biological parent ( aka : "Mom" ).

... when a community activist received a tip from Johnson's grandfather in Muskogee, Okla., where he lived with Erica's mother, whom he married a year after the girl's death.

Am I understanding this correctly - Erica's "mother" married her lover's grandfather ?

PrincessArky
10-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Am I understanding this correctly - Erica's "mother" married her lover's grandfather ?

The unidentified little girl was dubbed "Precious Doe" until 2005, when a community activist received a tip from Johnson's grandfather in Muskogee, Oklahoma, that helped break the case. Johnson had been living at the time in Muskogee with victim's mother, whom he married a year after the girl's death.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/08/precious.doe.convicted.ap/index.html

I think it has to do with odd wording......I think she married the pos that helped her kill her daughter

as for the so called mother (and I use that term loosely) and her boyfriend they got off way too easy

LuvBigRip
10-23-2008, 02:39 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A judge handed down a 25-year prison sentence for the mother of a 3-year-old girl who was beheaded and for years was known only as "Precious Doe."

The sentence on Wednesday for Michelle Johnson was what Jackson County prosecutors had recommended.

The 33-year-old Johnson pleaded guilty last year to second-degree murder for her role in the 2001 killing of her daughter, Erica Green.

Johnson's boyfriend at the time, Harrell Johnson, whom she later married, was convicted of first-degree murder earlier this month in the Kansas City slaying. He faces a life sentence.

Michelle Johnson testified against Harrell Johnson at his trial, saying the man kicked Erica in the head, left her to die, and later decapitated and dumped the body.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,443738,00.html

dv8grl
10-23-2008, 04:58 PM
:headshake only 25yrs.

anothersta
10-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Poor baby! I hope that guy gets life and I'm glad the mother got a nice stay in prison to think about what she did!

Shann
10-24-2008, 01:50 AM
:sob this is so sad and tragic, those two POS' got way too little for what they did :mad: Just sick and disgusting... she laid there for TWO days?!?!?! WTF!