PDA

View Full Version : FLA child molesters to wear satellite tracking devices for life. Yay!!

Njean31
05-03-2005, 03:18 AM
I LOVE IT! i hope the rest of America follows suit.

May 2, 11:06 PM EDT

Fla. Sets Harsher Penalties for Molesters

By DAVID ROYSE
Associated Press Writer

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Spurred by the killing of a 9-year-old girl, Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday signed a law imposing tougher penalties on child molesters and requiring many of those released from prison to wear satellite tracking devices for the rest of their lives.

The measure gives Florida one of the toughest child-sex laws in the nation.

The Jessica Lunsford Act was quickly drafted after Jessica's death was discovered in March and was pushed through by lawmakers outraged that the man accused of killing her was a registered sex offender. It passed both the Senate and House unanimously.

It establishes a mandatory sentence of 25 years to life behind bars for people convicted of certain sex crimes against children 11 and younger, with lifetime tracking by global positioning satellite after they are freed.

Advertisement

Until the new law goes into effect Sept. 1, molesting a child under 12 is punishable in most cases by up to 30 years in prison.

Bush was joined by Jessica's father, Mark Lunsford, who wore a tie bearing pictures of his daughter and said he had been working so furiously on the legislation that he has not yet really grieved.

"I'm still lost, I haven't really dealt with it yet," Lunsford said. He called the tie his "hug" from Jessica. "I'm still minus my kiss, but I've got my hug."

John E. Couey, a convicted sex offender who was living near Jessica, was arrested in Georgia and was charged with snatching her from her bedroom and murdering her.

AP VIDEO

Florida Gets Tough With Sex Offenders
Audio
Bush says the bill increases restrictions on convicted sex offenders.

The bill's momentum in the Legislature increased in April after another Florida girl, 13-year-old Sarah Lunde, was found dead and another registered sex offender was charged with murdering her.

The 25-year minimum would not apply to anyone convicted of molesting older children. Those offenders would have to be monitored electronically only during their probation, not for life.

Some offenders already on the street could be ordered back to jail or be placed under GPS monitoring if they violated their probation.

Lots of other states have minimum mandatory sentences for sex crimes against children. A number of states already require some form of lifetime supervision of sex offenders, including GPS tracking, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

However, Florida's new law may be the first requirement of lifetime GPS monitoring for an entire group of people who commit a certain crime, the NCSL said.

Florida's new law could also open the door to the death penalty for more killers, because it allows a defendant's status as a sexual predator to be considered as an aggravating factor during sentencing for a murder.

Sarah Lunde's mother and sister also were at the governor's side as he signed the bill.

"I'm just glad something's being done," said Sarah's sister, Rebekah Lunde. "Maybe no one else will have to go through this."
---

On the Net:

Florida Legislature: http://www.leg.state.fl.us

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Purchase this AP story for reprint.

Advertisement
Advertisement

JCshopper
05-03-2005, 04:22 AM
THIS NEEDS TO BE A FEDERAL LAW!

freebielover
05-03-2005, 06:03 AM
I agree, this definitely needs to be federal. Its a very good idea! Now if we could tattoo it on all level 3's foreheads! (just kidding!)

JCshopper
05-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Hey freebielover, tattoos would work. That or maybe they can make those global positioning devices like big old dog collars with lights and beepers so they cannot be missed! I'm sorry, I just don't think they deserve to be able to hide the fact that they have committed these crimes. I don't particularly care about someones rights who has hurt a child in this manner. They should be grateful that they are given the right to draw another breath.

llbriteyes
05-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Its a good law. It should be a federal law.

Linda

delSol
05-03-2005, 08:41 AM
at last my state did something good - too bad it took so many little kid's lives to get here though...

I agree that they should be marked for all to see or sent to an island somewhere...

CatrinaF25
05-04-2005, 06:35 AM
these ppl should never get out of prision PERIOD one strike your out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it kills the children inside that they do this to. they will always have issues (even if it takes yearrrrrs to come to the surface) just ask me... Many many things are diffrent in my life that would not be if i had not been molisted(12 yrs)and raped.) more then 3 men)
it may not show up until way later in life but believe me you these children will have issues at one point :(
for me its like being in prision in my own body.. my own mind.. i cant stop the flash backs and no meds can either or therpary( ive tried!!) i have to live in hell on earth why should these men get a second chance when i was not even given the first chance at a normal healthy life!?!?

JCshopper
05-04-2005, 09:29 AM
these ppl should never get out of prision PERIOD one strike your out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it kills the children inside that they do this to. they will always have issues (even if it takes yearrrrrs to come to the surface) just ask me... Many many things are diffrent in my life that would not be if i had not been molisted(12 yrs)and raped.) more then 3 men)
it may not show up until way later in life but believe me you these children will have issues at one point :(
for me its like being in prision in my own body.. my own mind.. i cant stop the flash backs and no meds can either or therpary( ive tried!!) i have to live in hell on earth why should these men get a second chance when i was not even given the first chance at a normal healthy life!?!?

I Agree with you 100%. Actually, I think they should not be allowed to live. Why should our hard earned dollars be spent to give them 3 square meals, and TV, and Gym time, and library time, and college educations, and God knows what else. Either throw them in a cage and feed them bologna sandwiches and water or spare us the expense and fry them. They are monsters.

YankeeMary
05-06-2005, 03:12 AM
I don't know what the answer is but I think Flordia has the right idea. I also agree it should apply to every state and every country in the world (I am sure this goes on in other countries as well). I like the idea of a tattoo on the forehead. They truly do not deserve to live a "normal" life, and with a tattoo on the forehead, their life couldn't be normal. I pray that one day soon that the proper actions can and will be taken so that no other child has to suffer ever.