PDA

View Full Version : She made it all up!!!!!!!!!!!!

nightrider127
04-30-2005, 06:01 AM
(CNN) -- A Georgia woman, who was found in New Mexico early Saturday and who said she had been abducted, admitted today she had made up the story because she was nervous about her upcoming wedding, police said.

Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz said Jennifer Wilbanks, 32, had told them she had taken a bus to Las Vegas, Nevada, and on Saturday had taken another bus to New Mexico.

Earlier, Wilbanks had told family members and police that she had been abducted by a man and a woman in a van. She was to be married Saturday.

"Agents and detectives learned Miss Wilbanks had become scared and concerned about her pending marriage and decided she needed some time alone," Schultz said.

Police in New Mexico said she will face no criminal charges, despite her false kidnapping story. When asked what would happen in Georgia, Duluth Police Chief Randy Belcher told reporters: "No criminal charges."

Spokesman Mike Satterfield read a statement from the family.

"It has been determined that Jennifer has some issues the family was not aware of. We're looking forward to loving her and talking with her concerning these issues," Satterfield said. "There have been so many people who helped us through this and we want to thank all of them."

Abduction claim
Wilbanks called her fiance, John Mason, at his Duluth, Georgia, home from an Albuquerque pay phone at 1 a.m. EDT Saturday to say she had been freed by two strangers who abducted her Tuesday night, Mason said.

Within minutes, Albuquerque Police found Wilbanks at a 7-Eleven convenience store.

Wilbanks, who was to be married to Mason in Duluth, was last seen by her fiance Tuesday night, when she left the home she shares with him for a jog about 8:30 p.m.

Earlier, Pastor Alan Jones, who was to preside at the wedding said Wilbanks told him her abductors "came up behind her, cut her hair and put her in a blue van," Jones said.

Schultz said Wilbanks' hair has been cut.

Among the clues found during the search that followed her disappearance was a clump of hair along the route she was believed to have been jogging.

Family members are expected to fly to Albuquerque Saturday morning to be with her.

Disappearance drew national attention
News of Wilbanks' admission comes just hours after police in Georgia announced they would suspend their ground search for her, saying they've looked everywhere she may have been.

Her disappearance quickly drew national media attention, including talk show speculation sometimes comparing the story to that of Laci Peterson, the pregnant woman who disappeared from her Modesto, California, home on Christmas Eve, 2002. In that case, husband Scott Peterson was convicted of murder and sentenced to death.

Wilbanks' fiance said he tried not to get upset about the media comparisons to the Peterson case since he knew her family had faith in him.

"I never worried that they were going to point their fingers at me," Mason said.

© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.

Shancopp
04-30-2005, 06:49 AM
been watching all morning...saw it at 5am when she was tellilng she had been released by her kidnappers...then woke back up and she'd made it all up. I hope her family (wealthy) will offer to pay back all the cost to the taxpayers since they aren't filing charges against her!

adorkablex
04-30-2005, 04:05 PM
been watching all morning...saw it at 5am when she was tellilng she had been released by her kidnappers...then woke back up and she'd made it all up. I hope her family (wealthy) will offer to pay back all the cost to the taxpayers since they aren't filing charges against her!

Why should her parents have to pay anything? Parents of teens that run away who file missing person reports don't have to pay anything. I think the mental anguish her parents went through is plenty. She however, needs a swift kick in the rear.

mesue
04-30-2005, 07:04 PM
While I feel sorry for her and the family if this was some poor kid the county or state or federal would have filed charges, after all; all these branches of police were involved. Then I heard this morning that in this case their not going to, while I am glad their not I can't help but think that if this was some poor or middle income family they would have.

schsa
05-01-2005, 08:12 AM
I also feel sorry for her. She was overwhelmed and feeling trapped with all of this wedding stuff. Geesh, 14 brides maids and 14 grooms men?? That would give me an ulcer. And who knows what her parents and his parents are like! Personally, I hope they go to Vegas and let Elvis marry them.

fatesfaery
05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
She has been the butt of every joke on every local radio station. She may be holding her wedding at the county jail, Our county DA is going to decide tomorrow whether to file charges for making a false statement.
Someone from Duluth is selling the "runaway bride kit" on ebay.

It includes:
· A Box of Garnier Hair Color- Your photo will be on National news, so you have to change that color!
· A pair of Revlon Fashion Eyewear- Time to go incognito with these “spy-like” shades. Look it’s not Louis Vuitton…but it does the trick!
· A Scunci…aka (fake clip of hair) - Just clip this little number on your head and not even you embarrassed fiancé will recognize you!
· Scissors- Hairdressers are a total Wedding day rip-off. With these trusty scissors cut your hair the way you want it…not what everyone else wants!
· A Blue and White Matchbox Van- Use this as a way to devise a story just in case you get caught. You can make up a wild lie about being abducted by aliens…legal or illegal! The possibilities are endless!
· It’s going to be a long trip, so you’ll need a good movie to watch. So, as an added bonus you’ll receive a brand new DVD of that hilarious comedy “Runaway Bride”. What’s better than a great comedy like this when the whole country is frantically looking for you.

I remember being so nervous the day I got married that my knees were shaking. The only time I was left alone was in the pastor's study right before the wedding started. I remember thinking that I could just walk away and keep going...then I thought about how stupid I would look walking down a country highway in a wedding dress and heels....I'm glad I thought before I acted.

YankeeMary
05-06-2005, 03:29 AM
I think charges should be filed against her and restitution should be made. I think what she did was horrible and unexcusable. What about all the people that searched and searched for this woman. How could anyone be so inconsiderate of others, especially her very own family and fiance...geez. She chose to have so many bridesmaids and such a huge wedding. Hard to find sympathy for someone who had a very very expensive wedding planned and then what she did. Heck her wedding cost (or would be wedding) cost more then what alot of people make in year. I think its a shame she did this and I agree with adorkablex, she needs a kick in the rear.

dotcomgirl
05-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I agree with yankeemary

ang in NC
05-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Can we say from MONEY?