PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone Hear the Story About the "Buried Treasure"?

Steena
04-30-2005, 05:09 AM
I think this was in Massachusutts. Anyway, these two two guys told the story that they were digging up a tree and found a box full of old tin cans which contained wads and wads of money!!!! It sounded like a good fortune story that everyone wished they could tell. A few days after hearing this story, it was reported that it was all a hoax. Apparently, these guys found the money all right....but in someone's attic while doing a roofing job. Okay, they're officially thieves, but my question is why did they come forward at all with the buried treasure story? Over time, they could have sold those old bills for much more than their face value (I guess many of the bills were old and rare). I guess they wanted media attention over this? Why else would they talk?

Eyore
04-30-2005, 05:25 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/04/26/pair_digs_up_buried_hoard_in_methuen/

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=714331

The first link tells how the claimed to have found the money and pictures of the money. Very old money.

The second link is how the found it in a house where they were doing roofing work.

I had heard something on the news about it but didn't catch the story. I guess they told everyone they found it so that could cash it in and have all the money to spend. Doing it a little at a time would take to long.

MamaFairal
04-30-2005, 06:35 AM
omg i know barry's older brother billy..........yes billy billcliff...stupid name i know..lol

Billy is always scamming and scheming also so i believe this bull 100 % if it invloves a Billcliff :)

I lived in Manchester for nine yrs before coming to Mo

evrita
04-30-2005, 07:25 AM
YUp I saw it big news around here and if they just kept their big mouths shut they couldve cahsed in but guess what now they are in jail oh sigh

VALENA-)45
04-30-2005, 07:57 AM
IMAGINE WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF, THEY HAD TO THE OWNER OF THE HOUSE THEY HAD FOUND THAT MONEY. I think to owner would have given them some of the dollar bills and they would have made more money then they were making on the roofing job. They are an example of what strange people do when they come into your house. Too bad for them cause they could have to the owner the truth about the money. Those are some really old dollar bills in that bunch. I have some of them and i treasure them for their history not the monetary value. Sorry about the beginning, was stuck on caps.

Steena
04-30-2005, 11:01 AM
So, it all boils down to greediness. They wanted a big payout now as opposed to "liquidating" what they had which could take some time (if they didn't want to raise suspicions). The person that owned the home, they were not aware that the money was there? Perhaps it was a previous owner of the house that stashed the cash? I wonder how this was all figured out?

evrita
05-01-2005, 08:27 AM
It was OLD money and they were renovating the house and it came down to the fact of all the facts didnt add up they said they found it in a friends yards ect and yes the greddy bug got them

teenap
05-01-2005, 11:35 AM
they figured it out because their stories kept changing, then they somehow matched the rust off the tins the money was stored in to the roof of the peoples house..they were not aware the money was even stored there