PDA

View Full Version : Is this a scam?

javaguru
04-21-2005, 09:47 AM
I got email from dreamstarmail:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
You just won $200!
Every month, DreamStarMail is giving members random cash prizes. This month, your account is the one of 10 top winners accounts who will get cash prizes from us.
To get your money, please click on the link below and follow instructions on our web site:
http://www.dreamstarmail.com/scripts/admin/header.php?page=winner&action=view&currency=egold&amount=min&id=293812390982103921
Your money will be paid directly to your e-Gold, PayPal or MoneyBookers account.

But, after I clicked the link and it showed:

An error occured while sending payment:

YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER OF THE DREAMSTARMAIL GOLD GAMES CLUB

Only DreamStarMail Gold Games Club members can receive their prizes in cash.

If you want to become the Gold Games Club member, please fill out the registration form below. Once you become a member, your prize will be paid directly to your e-Gold, PayPal or MoneyBookers account.

Please note: If you do not apply for the DreamStarMail Gold Games Club membership, your prize will be returned to the DreamStarMail account and given to another winner next month.

The registration fee is $8.75.
Does this site really pay?????

Hopscotch
04-21-2005, 10:05 AM
I think it sounds like a scam. First you have to pay money. Something I've always have been told is a dead giveaway that it's a scam and second you will have to give out your PayPal account information to get it. I'm not telling you what to do but for me I'd delete the email and forget about it.

turbob
04-21-2005, 10:23 AM
SCAM ALERT!!!! You should NEVER have to pay to get something you won.

Tsiskin
04-21-2005, 10:32 AM
In addition to the obvious flaws (Must pay, etc), How could you have won a member prize if you aren't a member of the "site".

It might as well have said "Congratulations, you are the winner in [your state here]'s Lottery. Simply purchase this ticket for [price] and claim your prize." How could you have won the lottery before even buying a ticket.

It's good to see that people are being cautious about scams they receive. Nicely done.

Whitequeen39
04-22-2005, 08:56 PM
This is for sure a scam, they go around using various PTR programs etc. and make you think you won something...DELETE, DELETE, DELETE!