PDA

View Full Version : Senate panel delays vote on Bolton nomination

llbriteyes
04-19-2005, 05:09 PM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate Foreign Relations Committee delayed a scheduled vote Tuesday on President Bush's pick for U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and could call nominee John Bolton back for more testimony.
Committee Chairman Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Indiana, had pushed for a vote Tuesday afternoon. But that plan was derailed after member of the panel's Republican majority joined Democrats in seeking a delay.

"I've heard enough today that I don't feel comfortable about voting for Mr. Bolton," Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, said.

Republicans call Bolton, the undersecretary of state for arms control, a foreign policy realist who will help push U.S. calls for "reform" at the United Nations.

But during confirmation hearings last week, senators heard allegations that Bolton tried to intimidate or have fired intelligence analysts who disagreed with him.

Democrats sought an extension to investigate what they called new complaints about Bolton, and objected strenuously to a push by Lugar to cut off debate and force a vote on the nomination.

Lugar said another hearing "would include the possibility that Secretary Bolton might be asked to come back for additional testimony."

The committee has 10 Republicans and eight Democrats. A majority vote in favor is needed to send the nomination to the full Senate floor.

In response to the criticism against him, Bolton said one analyst had acted inappropriately by criticizing him behind his back.

He told senators he did not want the man punished, but he did tell the man's supervisor that he had lost trust in him.

But Carl Ford, the State Department's former assistant secretary of state for intelligence and research, called Bolton "a serial abuser" and "a quintessential kiss-up, kick-down sort of guy."

Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minnesota, acknowledged that Bolton "raises a lot of passion."

"We hear the same things and we come to different conclusions," Coleman said. "In the end, I think the question is, why does the president want to appoint him? It is about reforming the U.N."

But Bolton, he said, "has the passion and has the intellect to do some very heavy lifting."

Democrats said Bolton's testimony has been called into question by new allegations that have emerged since Bolton's April 11 appearance. Democrats sought an extension to investigate those complaints, and they objected strenuously to a push by Lugar to cut off debate and force a vote on the nomination.

The committee's ranking Democrat, Delaware Sen. Joseph Biden, said senators were "setting ourselves up for failure" with Bolton's nomination.
"In your heart, you know this guy doesn't deserve to go to the U.N.," he said. "In your heart, you know that to be true. This time, follow your heart, not your head. Follow your heart on here, because your head's going to tell you to be really practical and don't screw around with the president's nominee."

Meanwhile, Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Nebraska, said he would vote to send Bolton's nomination to the full Senate, "but that does not mean I will support his nomination on the floor," he said.

"I think these charges are serious enough that they demand further investigation, but I think in the interest of timeliness ... we should move this out today," Hagel said.

Hagel told CNN over the weekend that he would vote for Bolton "if there's nothing more that comes out," but acknowledged he was "troubled" by criticism of the nominee.

Democrats also criticize Bolton's handling of the diplomatic standoffs with North Korea and Iran over their nuclear programs and his previous public dismissals of the United Nations.

Lawrence Wilkerson, who was chief of staff for former Secretary of State Colin Powell, told The New York Times on Tuesday that Bolton would be "an abysmal ambassador."

"He is incapable of listening to people and taking into account their views," Wilkerson told the newspaper.

schsa
04-20-2005, 04:59 AM
I wouldn't feel comfortable voting for him either. As much as Bush wants someone to shake up the UN, there's a difference between sending in a successful negotiator and a bully.

llbriteyes
04-20-2005, 06:34 AM
During their recess this month, they'll be investigating some serious allegations against him. I believe, on the testimony given to the committee that he is not guilty of only being a bully, but that criminal charges may come to bare.

Linda

I wouldn't feel comfortable voting for him either. As much as Bush wants someone to shake up the UN, there's a difference between sending in a successful negotiator and a bully.

excuseme
04-20-2005, 10:15 AM
He should be facing jail time with Tom Delay and Rumsfeld, not being considered for political appointment by Bush.

schsa
04-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Tom Delay can dance faster than anyone I know. It will take them years to jail him. He can avoid anything if he wants. Doesn't help if you have the President in your pocket. As for Rumsfeld, I would rather see the Three Stooges running the government than him. They would do a much better job.