PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any packing tips for a Airplane trip?

dlwt
04-19-2005, 10:15 AM
I am one that trys to everything but the kitchen sink. Do you have any packing tips and how to take less? :)

buttrfli
04-19-2005, 10:21 AM
take your important stuff in your carry on bag (medication, cell phone, money etc) that way if the airlines lose your bags, you will have that with you.

I don't know how to take less, I just sit on my suitcases and smash everything together LOL

sahmsfreeb
04-19-2005, 10:25 AM
we are a carry on family. we dont check anything. makes life way easier! remember the mottow
"I can buy what i forget to bring"
i forgot to pack a nice pair of shoes for hawaii.. so i went to kmart! 5 bucks later.. im stylish!

make clothes do double duty and color corodinate everything! so mixing and matching can occur! if you are a sneaker person then wear them on the plane. you can be more comfortable than clodhoppers or flip flops... and makes more room in your luggage!

roll your clothes for less wrinkles...
roll your socks and undies with each outfit.. makes unpacking a breeze!

finally pack the same way you did coming as for going... everything will fit neater!

NINK
04-19-2005, 10:57 AM
take samples with you instead of full size, just go to walmart or somewhere and stock up on tiny little things.
really think about what you are taking, do you really need it? would it be easier to get it when you got there(like batteries,disposable cameras,rasors-things you won't have to pack with you when you come home,they can just be bought and pitched-bring a home mailer with you for your film or camera so you can just mail it in from where ever you are so you won't lose or have to pack film!)

those space saver bags are pretty cool! you can buy them in stores now and you just suck out all the air with your vac.

either roll your clothes or lie them flat-folding them takes up too much space.

i agree-carry on! it saves time and no chance of losing your stuff..just make sure you find out the details to make sure your bags meet thier aproval.

it may sound funny, but some people just wear as much as they can, if it's a short flight of a few hours or less-double layer your clothes and wear anything you can. than just take it all off at your hotel. some people actualy wear like 5 layers and than just do laundry at the hotel and have a whole weeks worth of clothes fresh and clean with no suitcase,just a carry on! :)

rlynn411
04-19-2005, 01:22 PM
I will always roll the clothes. Take clothes that you can mix and match. I pack shampoos etc in zip lock bags, just in case of leakage, take samples or trial sizes to save space. I will packs socks and undergarmets in gallon zip locks and force air out, this works great since you can reuse the zip lock bags to put worn socks and etc in. If you pack shoes use the space in them to stick stuff.

Keep all important stuff in your carry on, along with a change of clothes.

sivohdarba
04-19-2005, 05:00 PM
It looks like everyone has already given you a lot of good tips.

The only things I would add would be to pack shoes at the bottom of your suitcase since they are heavy, and stuff them with rolled up socks, ties, undies, belts ect. It's also a good idea to have a luggage tag on the INSIDE as well as the outside of your bags. That way if they are broken open or the outside tags are lost the airline will still be able to find you.

We also use to tie bright colored string, yarn, or plastic on the handles so we could easily find/identify our luggage on the turnstyle. You would be amazed at how many other travelers have the same luggage as you do!!

Have a great trip! :)

Edited to add that if you are a smoker lighters are not allowed on any flights or in luggage. If you smoke pack and carry matches until you can buy a lighter. For some reason, they allow matches and not lighters?

purplerose23
04-19-2005, 05:32 PM
PLEASE take ALL important items in your carry on!!!!! I am a baggage supervisor for DELTA. I get all the calls for the ones who forgot to do this and that, and that makes bad things happen! Also, pack lightly for just what you need, if not, it gets into the OVERWEIGHT charges! Do be CAREFUL as well of what you pack, no dangerous items for example, such as lighters, aerosol cans, knives, etc.....if you need anymore tips let me know, will be glad to share! :)

queenangie
04-20-2005, 03:29 PM
No scissors, no tweezers, no knives, no nailclippers, etc.

Put your undies rolled in a plastic baggie...in case everything has to be searched by the security staff.