PDA

View Full Version : Eric Rudolph pleads guilty to bombings in Georgia, Alabama.

Linus1223
04-13-2005, 04:16 PM
I think I was in about sixth grade when this happened to the Olympics in Atlanta and I remember watching stuff about it on the news. Is Rudolph the same guy as they had origianlly accused right after it happened? I want to say the guy who was accused was an ex-cop but I could be wrong.

And I will never see the point of killing people to PROTEST ABORTION. Pro-choice or pro-life, I think we can all agree that there is something twisted about that.

----------------------------

Rudolph reveals motives
Pleads guilty to four attacks, including 1996 Olympic blast
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 Posted: 9:00 PM EDT (0100 GMT)

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Revealing his motives for the first time, Eric Robert Rudolph blames the death and violence behind the four bombings he's confessed to in Georgia and Alabama on the legalization of abortion and "aberrant sexual behavior."

The attacks, which occurred between 1996 and 1998, killed two people and wounded more than 110 people.

Rudolph issued a rambling 11-page statement Wednesday after pleading guilty in Alabama and Georgia, declaring: "Abortion is murder. And when the regime in Washington legalized, sanctioned and legitimized this practice, they forfeited their legitimacy and moral authority to govern."

Two attacks involved women's clinics: one in the Atlanta, Georgia, suburb of Sandy Springs in January 1997; the other in Birmingham, Alabama in January 1998.

Six people were wounded in the Sandy Springs blast.

Off-duty policeman Robert "Sandy Sanderson," 35, was killed, and 41-year-old nurse Emily Lyons lost an eye and suffered other injuries, in the Birmingham blast.

Rudolph said Wednesday that while he had "nothing personal" against those victims, he has no regrets or remorse.

Rudolph also bombed a lesbian nightclub in Atlanta in February 1997, which wounded five people.

In his statement Wednesday, he said that while homosexuality does not pose a threat when kept in private, the "attempt to force society to accept and recognize this behavior" should be met with "force if necessary."

Rudolph also shed light on his intentions regarding the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta. He called it an opportunity to shame the United States for its legalization of abortion. He said his goal was to knock out Atlanta's power grid and shut down the Olympics.

Rudolph said that plan went awry, calling the result "a disaster," for which he apologized. He said that he did not intend to harm "innocent civilians."

The July 27, 1996, pipe bomb attack on Centennial Olympic Park killed 44-year-old Georgia resident Alice Hawthorne, and injured more than 100 people, including her teenage daughter. A Turkish cameraman, who rushed to cover the aftermath, died of a heart attack.

No parole
Rudolph's guilty pleas were heard in two courtrooms Wednesday, first in Birmingham, Alabama, then in Atlanta, Georgia.

Under the agreement struck with prosecutors, the 38-year-old avoids the death penalty and instead will receive four consecutive life terms in prison without parole.

U.S. Attorney David Nahmias called the outcome a success, saying, "There can be no doubt anymore about who is responsible for these crimes. And there can be no uncertainty about the results of long and complex trials."

Rudolph will likely serve his time at a "supermax" federal prison in Florence, Colorado, which also houses "Unabomber" Ted Kac***ski and Ramzi Yousef, mastermind of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. There is no parole in the federal prison system.

Sentencing in Birmingham was set for July 18; sentencing in Atlanta will be scheduled later.

In addition, Nahmias said, Rudolph disclosed to authorities where he had stashed 250 pounds of dynamite.

"Until last week, a part of western North Carolina was literally a hidden minefield," Nahmias told reporters in Atlanta Wednesday.

"You may not appreciate how much dynamite 250 pounds is until you realize that Rudolph's bombs that caused so much devastation in Atlanta and Birmingham each contained only 5 pounds to 15 pounds of dynamite."

Investigators knew that Rudolph had obtained 340 pounds of dynamite prior to the bombings but did not know where it was.

Nahmias said that authorities found the material last week -- with the aid of maps drawn by Rudolph -- and that the material was too volatile to be removed that explosives experts destroyed it onsite.

That said, Rudolph was not cooperating in the "classic sense," said Nahmias. Rudolph has never disclosed who, if anybody, has helped him during his years on the run.

Nahmias said investigators have so far found no evidence that Rudolph had any co-conspirators. Although Rudolph did approach one friend six months after going into hiding, he had apparently surveilled the friend for weeks, Nahmias said.

And when Rudolph was finally caught in May 2003, it was at a Dumpster while foraging for food, evidence that he had no helpers, Nahmias said.

CNN's David Mattingly and Henry Schuster contributed to this report

Quaker_Parrots
04-13-2005, 04:23 PM
You are thinking of Richard Jewell. They ruined his life, and he wasn't even guilty.

Linus1223
04-13-2005, 04:31 PM
You are thinking of Richard Jewell. They ruined his life, and he wasn't even guilty.
Yes! That's him! His name was on the tip of my tounge...I'd like to see an interview with him to see how he is doing now.

Jolie Rouge
05-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Extremist taunts his victims from prison
By JAY REEVES, Associated Press Writer
5 minutes ago

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Victims of Eric Rudolph, the anti-abortion extremist who pulled off a series of bombings across the South, say he is taunting them from deep within the nation's most secure federal prison, and authorities say there is little they can do to stop him.

Rudolph, who was captured after a five-year manhunt and pleaded guilty in deadly bombings at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta and a Birmingham abortion clinic, is serving life in prison at the "Supermax" penitentiary in Florence, Colo.

Housed in the most secure part of the prison, he has no computer and little contact with the outside world aside from writing letters. But Rudolph's long essays have been posted on the Internet by a supporter who maintains an Army of God Web site. The Army of God is the same loose-knit group that Rudolph claimed to represent in letters sent after the blasts.

In one piece, Rudolph seeks to justify violence against abortion clinics by arguing that Jesus would condone "militant action in defense of the innocent."

In another essay about his sentencing, Rudolph mocks former abortion clinic nurse Emily Lyons, who was nearly killed in the 1998 bombing in Birmingham, and her husband, Jeff. He uses pseudonyms rather than naming the couple, but there is no doubt he is describing them.

Rudolph recalls how Emily Lyons, in court, described the pain of her injuries and made an obscene gesture at Rudolph as she showed off a finger mangled by the blast. Rudolph writes: "It was a great speech and one that the denizens of freedom should be proud to enshrine in a museum somewhere. Perhaps they could put it next to MLKs `I Have a Dream.' They could call it `I Have a Middle Finger.'"

Jeff Lyons said he doesn't often look at the Web site, which has had some items posted for nearly two years. But he said he is worried that Rudolph's messages could incite someone to violence against abortion providers. "He's still sending out harassing communication. He's still hurting us," Lyons said.

Diane Derzis, who owns the Birmingham clinic that was bombed, killing a police officer, said someone should stop Rudolph. Bureau of Prisons regulations give wardens the right to reject correspondence by an inmate for "the protection of the public, or if it might facilitate criminal activity." That includes material "which may lead to the use of physical violence."

The Bureau of Prisons failed to respond to repeated inquiries from The Associated Press about whether Rudolph's writings violate prison rules.

But U.S. Attorney Alice Martin, who helped prosecute Rudolph for the Alabama bombing, said there is nothing the prison can do to restrict Rudolph or the supporter who keeps posting his writings, anti-abortion activist Donald Spitz of Chesapeake, Va. "An inmate does not lose his freedom of speech," she said.

Spitz said he corresponds regularly with Rudolph and posts some of his essays because of their shared desire to end abortion. As for those who might be offended, he said, "They don't have to look at it on the Web site."

John Hawthorne, whose wife, Alice, was killed in the Olympic bombing, said he isn't bothered by Rudolph's essays. "As far as I'm concerned he's out of sight, out of mind," Hawthorne said. "I don't mind him saying whatever he's going to say as long as they keep him locked up."

Supermax has a capacity of 490 and holds some of the nation's most infamous inmates, including Unabomber Theodore Kaczyinski and Sept. 11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui.

A Justice Department report last fall criticized the prison for not properly screening inmate mail. It determined that three men convicted in the World Trade Center bombing were able to send dozens of letters overseas to suspected terrorists.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070514/ap_on_re_us/eric_rudolph;_ylt=AuTpOTmFlXrJtNOr697yi.Ss0NUE

ang in NC
05-14-2007, 01:01 PM
He will spend the rest of his life, fed,clothed and warm.

suprtruckr
05-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Fry The Bastard

buglebe
05-14-2007, 03:39 PM
I have run into the nurse who was injured in the bombing at the abortion clinic in Bham and she was blind and in a wheelchair. I saw her several times at Sam's Wholesale Club. I haven't seen her in recent years but her life was definitely changed. From what I have read she is a wonderful person and still fights for the cause she feels so strongly about. Yes Rudolph was protected in the hills of North Carolina. Also said at one point it was a happy , free time of his life. The poor fellow who was originally blamed had his life ruined completely. My daughter had been in that park in Atlanta the day before the bombing. There was also a security guard in Bham at the clinic who was killed.