View Full Version : Catcher in the Rye Funny

llbriteyes
04-10-2005, 09:36 AM
December 9, 2004
'Catcher' challenged yet again

Verbatim from the article (because I can't summarize it any better):

Censoround

December 9, 2004

"Andrea Minnon of Lebanon said she had never heard of 'The Catcher in the Rye' before she learned that it was on her 14-year-old son Spencer's freshman reading list. After researching the book online with her husband, she concluded that it espouses immoral ideas that are inappropriate for freshman-age students. Now she wants it removed from the freshman curriculum."

Verbatim from Blog of a Bookslut's Michael Schaub (because I can't say it any better):

"Look, I'm not a classical music fan, but I've heard of Pachelbel's Canon. I'm not a historian, but I've heard of Charlemagne. Who the frick hasn't heard of The Catcher in the Rye?"

schsa
04-10-2005, 12:59 PM
She is a little out of it. It's a coming of age book that is considered a classic. However so are so many books that people think are inappropriate. If she doesn't want her child to read it then make other arrangements with his teacher. But book banning is absolutely the worst thing that you can do.

llbriteyes
04-10-2005, 05:00 PM
I agree. Its kinda odd, but the other day I was getting ready to take a nap, and I had the TV on. Fahrenheit 451 was on. I kept thinking how close we are coming to this. It may be a campy movie, but it has a lot to say. How will our children learn about the realities of life safely, if they aren't allowed to read about them?

Linda

She is a little out of it. It's a coming of age book that is considered a classic. However so are so many books that people think are inappropriate. If she doesn't want her child to read it then make other arrangements with his teacher. But book banning is absolutely the worst thing that you can do.