PDA

View Full Version : Son had to go to ER today

mimi37
04-08-2005, 07:26 PM
This morning around 10:45, the school nurse calls and says she has my oldest son in the office. He was in auto body class and went to open a container of clear coat. He said whoever used it last didn't cap it right and it sprayed up in his eye. I called my husband at work and he left work to go get him. We got to the ER a little before 11:30. They didn't even sign us in until almost 1:00. Then we had to go back and wain in the waiting area until almost 1:40. :mad: finally we got to go back to be seen. The nurse asked what time it happened. When I told her, she looked kind of shocked and rolls her eyes at me, like why didn't you get here sooner. I told her we had been waiting for over 2 hours. Then she said "oh." They put this thing in his eye that was like a contact lens. It had a tube going into it. It was connected to a bag that looked like an IV bag. They had to flush his eye. I'm telling you, my son is brave. I certainly couldn't have anyone sticking something in my eye like that. :eek: The process took about a half hour, but they didn't take it out for about 20 minutes after that. By the time we left the hospital, it was almost 3:30. We hadn't had any lunch and we were really starving. At least it didn't do any damage to his eye. He has to put eye drops in for 10 days. He said the sunlight bothers his eye, so he's wearing sunglasses.

jonette5
04-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Glad to hear he is going to be ok. Don't you just hate waiting in the ER? They always seem to take forever!

queenangie
04-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Do they have those eye wash basins at school? I'm surprised they didn't rinse his eyes at school 1st.

That had to have been the longest 2 * wait in the waiting room to see the doctor.

Glad the outcome was a good one.

Hugs!

Shann
04-08-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm glad your son is all right and will heal completely. That is ridiculous they had you wait that long. :(

gal3m
04-09-2005, 04:31 AM
((mimi37)) I'm sorry you had to wait so long. You would think they would try to get him in sooner so it would be less risk of damage to his eye. :rolleyes: I'm glad that he is doing better.

heymom
04-09-2005, 07:23 AM
After 1 time taking a child to the ER for an acid burn to the eye The eye dr told us to NEVER go to the ER for eye injuries. Instead ALWAYS call the eye dr and they will take care of it in the office. It cost less , you get seen immediately and they know exactly what to do.

Peanut818
04-09-2005, 05:50 PM
(((((mimi)))))) is he still doing well? I hope!!!!!!!!!!!

mimi37
04-09-2005, 06:41 PM
He said his eye is still a little blurry and that his stomach is a little upset. He didn't eat much today. He's a big boy and normally a big eater. :( I have to call Monday to make a follow-up appointment with our doctor.

Peanut818
04-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Best wishes, I hope eveything goes well, give lots of hugs to the "big little man"

hugs to you

Calla Lily
04-10-2005, 03:05 AM
:( That is too long to have to wait! I am glad that your son is feeling better now. He is a brave guy! :)

Steena
04-10-2005, 06:21 AM
After 1 time taking a child to the ER for an acid burn to the eye The eye dr told us to NEVER go to the ER for eye injuries. Instead ALWAYS call the eye dr and they will take care of it in the office. It cost less , you get seen immediately and they know exactly what to do.

Very good advice.

mimi37
04-10-2005, 06:18 PM

The school nurse told us we had to take him directly to the ER.

sahmsfreeb
04-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Do they have those eye wash basins at school? I'm surprised they didn't rinse his eyes at school 1st.

That had to have been the longest 2 * wait in the waiting room to see the doctor.

Glad the outcome was a good one.

Hugs!

ditto!

my words exactly!