PDA

View Full Version : Florida to allow use of force even outside home

Jaidness
04-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Florida to allow use of force even outside home
'Good, common sense, anti-crime issue'

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- Gov. Jeb Bush said Tuesday he intends to sign a bill that would allow people who feel threatened -- even on the street or at a baseball game -- to "meet force with force" and defend themselves without fear of prosecution.

The measure, the top priority of the National Rifle Association in Florida this year, passed the House 94-20 on Tuesday. It had already passed the Senate.

Bush, who has championed tougher penalties for people convicted of using guns in crimes, said the bill is about self-defense and called it "a good, common sense, anti-crime issue."

The measure essentially extends a right Floridians already have in their home or car. Under present law, however, people attacked anywhere else are supposed to do what they can to avoid escalating the situation and can use deadly force only after they've tried to retreat.

"I'm sorry, people, but if I'm attacked I shouldn't have a duty to retreat," said the bill's sponsor, state Rep. Dennis Baxley. "That's a good way to get shot in the back."

Baxley said that if people have the clear right to defend themselves without having to worry about legal consequences, criminals will think twice.

Opponents feared the bill would make Florida resemble the wild West, but defenders say it is no different from what most other states allow in laws governing self-defense.

The bill says a person has "the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so, to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/05/deadly.force.ap/index.html

janelle
04-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Oh no, I see gun fights in the street now. I know it's sad for people to hurt others but this will be a good excuse for people to say he was trying to kill me and the bullets will fly. :eek:

Willow
04-06-2005, 10:38 AM
I have mixed feelings on this. There are some people out there who would say that they had to defend themselves by shooting someone, but the person they shot may not have been threatening them at all. Some people will figure they can go around shooting people just because they don't like a certain person. I know that is probably exaggerating a little but someone people just shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

janelle
04-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks Patchouli. You said it better than I did.

Jaidness
04-06-2005, 10:41 AM
omg janelle we agree !!!

janelle
04-06-2005, 10:57 AM
I like the Bushes but I never thought they could walk on water. LOL

But Florida is getting to be a goofy state. Sorry but lots would agree. Still this is wrong IMO. :eek:

schsa
04-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Ok, so someone threatens me with a baseball bat and I take out my gun and shoot him dead. That's alright with Jeb Bush. What if it was a 13 year old who was mad because I wouldn't buy him a bike?

Or instead we can have two adults shooting at each other because each thought the other was threatening. Why don't we just insist that everyone have a gun and then we can just go around shooting each other. Heck, the wrong look can seem threatening.

onfire4god57
04-06-2005, 08:00 PM
You know sometimes it's embarrassing to admit that I actually live in Florida.

Gee if my memory serves me correctly was it not the Governor of this beautiful state that I live in just 2 weeks ago that kept repeating the qoute from his brother; President Bush, "that when in doubt we should always err on the side of LIFE!"

It wasn't alright to allow someone to die peacefully, but it's alright to let people just kill other people if they think their life might be in danger.

But I see now how this works, but maybe he should of come up with his own words like, "when in doubt always err with the side that donates the most money to your campaign.

I think that this is just the stupidest thing that could be passed. They've been talking about how bad our road rage has gotten, so now give the idiots another reason to kill, I can see it now. Someone will say they felt their life was in danger because they were threatened by a car, and then feel justified to shoot and kill them.

janelle
04-06-2005, 10:45 PM
My hubby wants to visit Florida. I don't want to if anyone can carry a gun and use it. I guess the crime rate is horrendous there. :eek:

Willow
04-07-2005, 04:22 AM
I wonder if he will name the bill license to kill.

stresseater
04-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Ok, I read and reread the article and I don't see the big deal. They aren't saying you can shoot someone who threatens you with a bat or that anyone can carry a gun and use it when they are threatened. This is a simple self defense law. As it is now if Bob starts a fight and beats the crap out of Jeff then when the cops show up to break it up and Jeff has marks on his body and Bob goes to jail. Now if Jeff defends himself, when the cops get there they both have marks on their bodies and they both go to jail. Poor Jeff was simply defending himself and with the new law he would be able to without fear of being sued or charged with a crime. Sounds like a good idea to me. ;)