PDA

View Full Version : Dobson relied on false and misleading statements to bash judges, called for Supreme C

Jaidness
04-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Dobson relied on false and misleading statements to bash judges, called for Supreme Court impeachments while hailing himself as "prophetic"

Reading from a prepared address about judges that he touted as "prophetic", Focus on the Family founder James C. Dobson conflated state circuit judges whose decisions he opposed with federal judges in order to rally support for President Bush's federal bench nominations; misstated the political leanings of several judges in order to support his flawed contention that the judiciary is out of step with "American opinion"; and called for the impeachment of six U.S. Supreme Court justices, including four Republican political appointees, as well as the abolition of a federal appeals court in San Francisco.

On his April 4 radio show, Dobson singled out San Francisco Superior Court Judge Richard Kramer, attacking his March 11 ruling that struck down California's ban on same-sex marriage. Dobson cast Kramer as part of a cadre of "often godless" and "liberal judges ... itching to sanction same-sex marriage."

Yet contrary to Dobson's suggestion that Kramer is a liberal atheist, Kramer is a registered Republican and devout Catholic appointed by Republican former Gov. Pete Wilson. On January 3, during deliberations on the challenge to California's same-sex marriage ban, Kramer refused to allow the city of San Francisco to refute controversial statements by the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH), a group that asserted that homosexuality is a mental disorder.

Dobson went on to invoke Kramer and Florida state circuit court judge George W. Greer, who ordered Terri Schiavo's feeding tube removed, as support for his argument that the Senate should confirm Bush's picks for the federal bench:

"The courts are killing us. Not only with regard to Terri Schiavo, where they literally did kill a person, but what they're doing to democracy. ... And unless the Congress steps up with the nominations by the president and puts people on the court who have respect for the Constitution as it was written, we will no longer be a free people."

But Dobson's use of Kramer and Greer as examples of the need to confirm Bush's judicial nominees is misleading, since both serve on state courts, over which Bush has no control. Thus, the confirmation of his nominees would have no impact on the makeup of state courts.

Dobson also denounced "a judicial oligarchy," which he claimed issues rulings that are out of step with public opinion. As an example, Dobson cited the March 1 Supreme Court decision in Roper v. Simmons, which abolished juvenile executions. To make his case for executing juveniles, Dobson described the crimes of Lee Boyd Malvo, who at age 17 participated in a series of murders with Army veteran John Allen Muhammad. Dobson heaped scorn on Justice Anthony Kennedy, who wrote the majority opinion in the Roper case. Calling Kennedy "the most dangerous man in America," he claimed Kennedy's opinion reflects how he "ignores the weight of American opinion to enforce his post-modern nonsense."

But a December 14, 2003, ABC News poll found that 52 percent of respondents preferred a life sentence for Malvo, compared to 37 percent who favored the death penalty. And only 21 percent of those polled generally preferred the death penalty for juvenile killers. Similarly, a May 2002 Gallup poll found that only 26 percent of respondents favored the death penalty for juvenile offenders, while 69 percent were opposed.

Dobson concluded by calling for the impeachment of Kennedy, along with Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, David H. Souter, Stephen Breyer, and John Paul Stevens. He even called for the impeachment of Sandra Day O'Connor, who dissented from the court's majority in the Roper case. Dobson also demanded the abolition of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals:

The troublesome 9th Circuit of Appeals in San Francisco could be abolished and then staffed by different judges immediately. But the Congress has not had the political gumption to take any such action. Consequently, the courts arrogantly thumb their noses at other co-equal authorities.

— M.B.

Posted to the web on Tuesday April 5, 2005 at 4:04 PM EST

http://mediamatters.org/items/printable/200504050001

janelle
04-06-2005, 10:43 AM
http://mediamatters.org/

I see you are getting these from a liberal web site. Hey, that's cool. I get info on conservative web sites. We need to read each and then make up our own minds.

schsa
04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I have never heard of this person but if he is spouting all of this retoric, he's making me nervous. Sort of like Rush Limbaugh who can put down drug addicts while he was an addict himself.

We have a great Supreme Court. No one is extremely liberal and no one extremely conservative. Just because he thinks that he could do a better job does not give Dobson the right to put out false information. But maybe in his case he considers it editoralizing and therefore he can say what he wishes on his talk show. Too bad he won't allow a guest to sit there and debate him face to face.

Jaidness
04-06-2005, 11:40 AM
schsa that is why I post this stuff so people will see what others are trying to pull...and call them on it.

janelle
04-06-2005, 12:01 PM
To find out about Dobson go to his web site. www.focusonthefamily.com I think that is it. He has radio shows and is located in Denver I think. I don't listen to him but know about him.

janelle
04-06-2005, 12:07 PM
I have never heard of this person but if he is spouting all of this retoric, he's making me nervous. Sort of like Rush Limbaugh who can put down drug addicts while he was an addict himself.

We have a great Supreme Court. No one is extremely liberal and no one extremely conservative. Just because he thinks that he could do a better job does not give Dobson the right to put out false information. But maybe in his case he considers it editoralizing and therefore he can say what he wishes on his talk show. Too bad he won't allow a guest to sit there and debate him face to face.

I don't believe Limbaugh ever sold drugs on the black market or turned kids on to drugs. We do have to be reasonable about it. There are lines to everything and we all know this. My father had a drink before dinner, I won't call him an alcoholic. Some drink beer, some drink it to excess but I don't equate them to drunks spending all their money on booze.

Jaidness
04-07-2005, 11:25 AM
I don't believe Limbaugh ever sold drugs on the black market or turned kids on to drugs. We do have to be reasonable about it. There are lines to everything and we all know this. My father had a drink before dinner, I won't call him an alcoholic. Some drink beer, some drink it to excess but I don't equate them to drunks spending all their money on booze.
lol she didnt say he sold drugs or turned kids onto them she said he was a drug addict or actually still is an addict.
and I don't believe alot of things but that don't make them untrue or true lmao
as far as being reasonable, do you think it is reasonable to question the credibility of someone who uses drugs illegally? Who then lies about using drugs and obtaining them illegally?

cavemtmomma
04-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Rush's drugs came from his doctors. He had back surgery which failed and left him in excruciating pain. Thats where his addiction came from. As someone who lives with constant pain I understand. It must be nice to be pain free. Unless pointing that finger gets painful.

Jaidness
04-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Rush's drugs came from his doctors. He had back surgery which failed and left him in excruciating pain. Thats where his addiction came from. As someone who lives with constant pain I understand. It must be nice to be pain free. Unless pointing that finger gets painful. lol I dunno ask Rush how his finger feels...
plenty of people have pain but not all of them lie to get meds for it

Rush Limbaugh Claimed He Had No Physical Limitations When Playing Golf, Even Though He Says Lower Back Pain Was the Cause of His Becoming a Junky on Illegal Drugs

A BUZZFLASH READER COMMENTARY

From the Washington Post October, 2003:

Limbaugh, perhaps the most prominent conservative commentator on the air, said on his program that he began taking painkillers five or six years ago after unsuccessful spine surgery, which caused lingering pain in his back and neck. He said some of the news stories about him ``contain inaccuracies and distortions'' but that he could not elaborate for now. He closed by asking the audience ``for your prayers.''

From Interview at the American Century Championships July, 2003:

RUSH LIMBAUGH: You know, I've played the Bob Hope three times and the AT&T twice. It wasn't bad. It's just the game is mental. Once you've mastered the physical aspect, not mastered, but 90 percent of the game, all of the other things being equal is mental, and for some reason, I just was not able to execute my swing today.

And I think it had nothing to do with physical characteristics. There's nothing wrong with me. I think it's just for whatever reason, maybe I was tired, I have no idea what it was. And that's the thing that frustrates me about the game, I'll go play well two rounds, come out and do today and not really know why I did poorly. But that's what makes me an amateur.

RUSH LIMBAUGH: Now, is anybody surprised at that? That Bill Clinton would take 16 shots and record a 5, is that what it was? Now that shouldn't surprise -- the thing about golf and I know this is a cliche, and I've only been playing it, what, six years. I started in 1997. [Right after the unsuccessful surgery no doubt]The thing about golf, really, is you'll find out, at least I have, what people are all about and made of. You find out whether they quit. You'll find out whether they fudge or cheat. Any number of characteristics that people possess in their personalities will come out usually in 18 holes of golf, whether they have a temper, whether they have a controlled anger or whatever it is about them, you'll learn it. [LINK]

From BuzzFlash Reader Turk:

A BUZZFLASH READER COMMENTARY

BuzzFlash Follow-up:

From a very recent 2003 article on GolfServ.com:

"No slouch with the sticks himself after only playing for the past six years, Limbaugh is visiting Lake Tahoe for the American Century Championship this year for the first time. Limbaugh has played in the PGA Tour's Bob Hope Chrysler Classic three times and the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am twice, making the cut in 2003 and playing on the weekend with PGA Tour professional Tom Pernice."

And even when lying through his drug addict haze, Rush couldn't let go of his money-making vile obsession with the Clintons. He's like a junky radio broadcaster verbal stalker:

"The thing about golf, really," Limbaugh said, "is you'll find out what people are all about. You find out whether they cheat. You find out whether they quit. You'll find out whether they fudge or cheat. Any number of characteristics that people possess in their personalities will come out, usually in 18 holes of golf."

"I mean, when I play we don't even call them 'mulligans,'" he added, "we call them 'Clintons.'" [LINK]

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/10/con03009.html

LIMBAUGH'S DRUG QUOTES:

"We're going to let you destroy your life. We're going to make it easy and then all of us who accept the responsibilities of life and don't destroy our lives on drugs, we'll pay for whatever messes you get into." Rush Limbaugh show, Dec. 9, 1993

" .... if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up. "What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use....The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."-- Rush Limbaugh show, Oct. 5, 1995

Jaidness
04-08-2005, 12:36 PM
oh and ummmmmmm.....(hypocrite?)

Limbaugh allegedly 'doctor shopped' for pills
Friday, December 5, 2003

By JOHN PACENTI
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

More on Rush Limbaugh
Get the latest news from The Post on the part-time Palm Beach County resident:
Limbaugh wants to rehear court records case
Allow no new information to shake faith in Rush Almighty
Court rules against Limbaugh on records
Some fear medical records

In the first indication that Rush Limbaugh could face criminal charges, search warrants released Thursday allege that the conservative talk radio star engaged in illegal "doctor shopping" to obtain hundreds of prescription pills.
Investigators searched medical offices in West Palm Beach and Jupiter on Nov. 25 for records, cash receipts and prescription forms related to Limbaugh's treatment from four doctors.

When Limbaugh learned his medical records had been seized through search warrants, he lashed out on the air, reading a statement by his attorney characterizing him as a victim of "a fishing expedition" and a target due to his "well-known political opinions."

"He is being subjected to an invasion of privacy no citizen of this republic should endure," Limbaugh's attorney Roy Black said in the statement.

No charges have been filed, and no arrests have been made.

Limbaugh's drug use became public when his housekeeper, Wilma Cline, went to the supermarket tabloid The National Enquirer in October and said she provided her boss with thousands of pain pills over a four-year period.

Cline and her husband, David, became confidential informants last December in a sweeping investigation tracking 450,000 illegal black-market pills in Palm Beach County. The probe resulted in several arrests, including a couple who ran a mom-and-pop pharmacy in suburban Lake Worth who may have been the source of black-market pills allegedly purchased by Limbaugh. Investigators in the search warrant credited information from the Clines.

Now prosecutors say Limbaugh is a subject of a criminal investigation and not just a famous name who happened to bubble up to the surface in connection with a pill mill. The county's drug task force is investigating Limbaugh as a man who may have engaged in a form of prescription fraud, or "doctor shopping."

"Mr. Limbaugh alternated physicians to obtain overlapping prescriptions," investigators wrote in the search warrants.

Limbaugh failed to tell his doctors he was receiving pain pills from all four of them in "order to obtain excessive amounts of controlled substances to support his addiction," said Max Del Valle, one of the investigators.

Said Robert Gershman, a former prosecutor now in private practice in West Palm Beach: "This now has turned from him being supplied by civilian traffickers to an effort to prosecute him for obtaining multiple scripts from doctors. Those are different things."

One search warrant was executed at Palm Beach Ear, Nose and Throat Association, 1515 N. Flagler Drive in West Palm Beach, and two others at Jupiter Outpatient Surgery Center, 2055 N. Military Trail in Jupiter. A fourth search warrant for Palm Beach Ear, Nose and Throat, 3401 PGA Boulevard in Palm Beach Gardens, was not executed.

The search warrants were obtained after investigators showed a judge Limbaugh's extensive prescription records from pharmacies near his $24 million Palm Beach mansion.

The warrants included a prescription list from one pharmacy, which showed Limbaugh obtained 2,130 pain and anti-anxiety pills under the brand names Norco, OxyContin, Lorcet and others in a five-month period. On June 3, a prescription was filled for 240 tablets of Norco, a mixture of the painkiller hydrocodone and acetaminophen. On June 18, he filled a prescription for another 100 pills of Norco.

According to the search warrants, the doctors who prescribed the pills are Nathaniel Drourr, Antonio de la Cruz, Lawrence P. and John Murray. Murray runs Palm Beach Ear, Nose and Throat Association, while Drourr and Deziel work at the Jupiter Outpatient Surgery Center. Antonio de la Cruz runs the House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, where Limbaugh was treated last year for hearing loss.

Three of the doctors could not be reached for comment. A woman answering the phone at the Drourr residence said the doctor had no comment.

Limbaugh has said he became addicted to painkillers for serious medical conditions. He announced in 2001 he was going deaf, and in January 2002 had an electronic device implanted to partially restore his hearing. The drug Norco has been linked to deafness.

Black, in the statement read on Limbaugh's radio show, said the medical records will show his client had legitimate reasons for taking pain medication, which he became addicted to and sought treatment for.

"Rush Limbaugh is not part of a drug ring," Black said. "He was never a target of a drug investigation."

State Attorney Barry Krischer, in a prepared response to Black's statements, defended the warrants. "This office has scrupulously protected Mr. Limbaugh's rights," Krischer said. "Whether Mr. Limbaugh is subject to prosecution for any crimes is still under investigation. Mr. Limbaugh is presumed innocent at this time."

Limbaugh's drug battle became public Oct. 2 when The Enquirer published a salacious story in which the Clines said they had supplied Limbaugh with thousands of pills over a four-month period.

The search warrants now indicate Limbaugh also was receiving pills through legitimate prescriptions under his own name. It is unknown if Limbaugh picked up his own prescriptions or if he used the Clines or some other third party.

After the Enquirer story, Limbaugh said on his radio show Oct. 10 that he had become addicted to painkillers and would enter a five-week substance abuse program. He returned to the air Nov. 17.

- john_pacenti@pbpost.com