PDA

View Full Version : Bikinis for toddlers spark Nordic controversy

Jolie Rouge
03-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Swedish clothes maker forced to withdraw item
March 31, 2005

OSLO - A Swedish clothes maker is being forced to withdraw from sale a bikini-style top for toddlers amid criticism from a Norwegian cabinet minister that bra-like clothing is inappropriate for small girls.

“It is remarkably daft to make bra-like bikinis for one-year-olds,” Norwegian Minister of Children and Family Affairs Laila Daavoey was quoted as telling the Norwegian daily Verdens Gang on Thursday. “This is a terrible commercialization of childhood. Children are not women. Bikinis on small children are a way of linking children to sexuality. We must say ’No’ to this,” she said.

The clothes maker Lindex said it would withdraw one design of top, meant for girls aged 1-2, after an internal review. “It’s a bit too similar to an adult top so we are choosing to withdraw it,” spokeswoman Ulrika Danielson told Norway’s NRK public radio. She said the decision was made independently of the Norwegian criticism.

Earlier this month, Norwegian Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik criticized Swedish furniture maker IKEA for showing few women assembling flat-packed goods in cartoon instruction leaflets. IKEA agreed to depict more women.

Norway is celebrating 100 years of independence from Sweden in 2005.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7346879

--------

I can believe it - I once found thong style underwear in 2 and 4 toddlers at Walmarts. I brought them to the manager's attention, and never saw them in any Walmarts again. UNBELIEVABLE !

buttrfli
03-31-2005, 09:03 AM
both my girls wore and sitll wear 2 piece bathing suits every summer. Now days they have tankinis where the top part looks like a tank top and they do make bikini tops that have a lot of material.... so unless they are wearing a thong and 2 cotton balls, I don't have a problem with it. :)

fatesfaery
03-31-2005, 09:23 AM
DD wore bikinis and two piece bathing suits when she was little....so did i way back in the 60s and 70s.
It doesn't bother me at all to see a child in a normal bikini , thought I think there is such a thing as poor taste in all things and all ages.

justme23
03-31-2005, 09:35 AM
I voted the first one... but I voted that way before reading the replies... I suppose if it was a modest suit then it wouldn't be that big a deal... but I've been looking around at the various stores and I have YET to see a modest suit in the kids section... these things are horrible!

bribella
03-31-2005, 10:50 AM
I voted no. My girls 1 and 3 wear bikinis in the summer.

Tasha405
03-31-2005, 11:21 AM
I just bought my DD a bikini today and she's just 1. :o Its not bad or anything though. Its kinda like a tank style top that is mesh on the bottom half and then the little panty style bottoms. Its not like a thong or anything like that. lol

So I'm with the previous posters, as long as it looks good I guess its ok.

tracyb
03-31-2005, 11:32 AM
my dd's wear the tankinis one covers more...and plus they are kids they dont think of it as being sexy.....slap the person who looks at my dd's like that.....as long as it is decent wear it.....lol....

ahippiechic
03-31-2005, 12:29 PM
My DD is 3 and has always worn a 2 peice.

caides_mom
03-31-2005, 12:59 PM
the bad thing is i think my little girl looks cute in one BUT with all the evil and crazy people in the world today you don't know how they are looking at your child

buttrfli
03-31-2005, 01:09 PM
the bad thing is i think my little girl looks cute in one BUT with all the evil and crazy people in the world today you don't know how they are looking at your child

I am obsessivly over protective of my girls and I feel the same way you do to a point....

There is only so much I can keep my kids from doing or wearing until it gets to where they have no life. Anyone who would look at a child like that will look at them no matter what they are wearing.

I'd LOVE to keep my kids home 24/7 and not have to worry about who's looking at them or what all the "what if's" but my kids would hate me for it later. (unless we move to the country and pretend that we are the only people in the world LOL)

caides_mom
03-31-2005, 01:30 PM
well my little girl is just 1 1/2 so i don't have to worry about that yet, she wears what i put on her, doesn't matter if it's a tater sack~lol~

*lilo*
03-31-2005, 02:33 PM
i voted for the 1st one, based on what the description of the article made the bikini top seem to be, however im pretty sure i'd let chloe wear one(a bikini with a top that isnt like an adults bikini top more like a tank top would be better suited for a child)when she's old enough to actually go swimming.

nanajoanie
03-31-2005, 04:06 PM
What's wrong with a bikini swimsuit for a toddler? In Sweden and Norway they usually think nude is cool in some public areas and many of the beaches. And any kind of 2 piece outfit is easier on potty breaks anyway. As for thongs, forget trying to make a toddler 'sexy'. I'd rather see a toddler naked as they usually have cute little butts.

WTG Jolie :)

Willow
03-31-2005, 06:22 PM
When my daughter was a toddler I had little bikinis for her that she wore when she played in her pool. The bottoms were just like rumba pants with all the ruffles.

NINK
03-31-2005, 09:29 PM
both my daughters had 2 pieces from the time they were 6 mths old. i never thought of them as "hey i look sexy in this" outfits, they were just something you where when you go swimming. i have seen lots of kids in just the swimming diapers at the beach and publuc pools....that's a kid regardless of sex with no shirt on, so my kid in a 2 piece is actualy pretty conservative. when my son was real young, i think 18 mths or 2 he had a speedo, it was the cutest thing! my kids always have swim robes too, they are in those until they actualy go in the water and than back in them when they get out. i have always worn a 2 piece because i am on the short side (5' 2.5") so one pieces just look terrible on me, when you buy things for your kids your own style is the biggest influence because they are just babies who would just aswell go naked for all they care.