PDA

View Full Version : Felos: Autopsy to Address Abuse Claims

janelle
03-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:52 p.m. EST

Michael Schiavo's lawyer said Monday that the decision to have Terri Schiavo's body autopsied was a bid to rebut charges that he was cremating her to cover up evidence of spousal abuse - as well as an attempt to prove that her brain was severely damaged.

"Claims have been made by, I guess, opponents of carrying out her wishes that there was some motive behind the cremation of Mrs. Schiavo [and] we felt it was necessary to make [the autopsy] announcement today," attorney George Felos told reporters on Monday.

Asked whether the autopsy would include a body scan to check for broken bones, Felos said he did not know.

"We assume and are confident that [Pinellas County Medical Examiner Jon Thogmartin] will do an excellent, appropriate job," he said.

A March 1991 bone scan performed on Mrs. Schiavo showed evidence of "compression fractures" to her back, ribs, legs and ankles. Prior to being found unconscious in her St. Petersburg apartment the year before, Schiavo had not broken any bones, her friends say.

Jackie Rhodes, who worked with Terri at a local insurance office, said she often showed up at work with noticeable bruises - but never complained of being hit.

"They were smaller bruises, like maybe someone had grabbed her or, you know, like, squeezed her arm or leg really tight," Rhodes told Fox News Channel last week, adding that the couple were planning to divorce.

During a 2002 court hearing, Michael Schiavo took issue with allegations that he abused his wife prior to the accident that ended her normal life.

"I've never, ever struck a woman, especially my wife," he insisted, in quotes picked up by the Tampa Tribune. "I was raised better than that."

Mr. Schiavo blamed physical therapists for Terri's injuries, saying that doctors who performed the 1991 bone scan knew that bone loss caused by her paralysis made her susceptible to injury during the therapy sessions.

He called the abuse allegations "utterly ridiculous."

schsa
03-30-2005, 07:26 AM
No one has ever been able to prove there was any abuse going on except by Terri to her own body. And I bruise all of the time from knocking into things so do most people.

I hope that the autopsy when it happens only says that her brain stem and everything else that would have made her a complete human being was goo.

janelle
03-30-2005, 09:58 AM
You may bruise but do you break bones all the time? People do wonder why he wants her creamated after he wanted her dead.,

excuseme
03-30-2005, 10:38 AM
It's a witch hunt. No one will ever leave him alone.

Jaidness
03-30-2005, 12:19 PM
first off where's the link to this article?
secondly janelle, do you know what a compound fracture is? Do you know what it is caused from? or for the matter how common they are in nursing home settings?

Jackie Rhodes, who worked with Terri at a local insurance office, said she often showed up at work with noticeable bruises - but never complained of being hit.

They were smaller bruises, like maybe someone had grabbed her or, you know, like, squeezed her arm or leg really tight," Rhodes told Fox News Channel last week, adding that the couple were planning to divorce
And what exactly are her qualifications to testify about the cause of someone elses bruises from 15 years ago?
And it was on FOX news and we all know they are so fair and balanced so I'm gonna believe this story.

You may bruise but do you break bones all the time? People do wonder why he wants her creamated after he wanted her dead.,

yes as a natter of FACT I do know two people who break bones frequently, one a young lady of 28 and another my great aunt in *gasp* a nursing home. Even turning her or repositioning her , couging and sneezing break her bones. And yes *note the sarcasm here* every nursing home and hospital is so overstaffed that I'm sure all the CNAS and PTs have all the time and incentive in the world to take the utmost care with these types of people.

why are people spending so much time with all these allegations...if he abused her, prove it, or shut up about it.

As for wondering about why he wants her cremated, it is his/her choice, none of anyone elses business.
I wish there was this kind of suspicion and furor over all the people dying in wars nowadays.

BTW I heard a rumor from my hairdressers-cousins- sisters- babys daddy that he heard on Fox news that maybe the parents abused her when they supposedly took over her care but then gave it up because they couldn't handle the level of care Terri needed. Hmmmm....

wubbywa
03-30-2005, 12:23 PM
He is the one that wants the autopsy isnt he. If I am correct on that then it wouldnt make sense if he did abuse her. I hadnt heard this or anything about a divorce. Who knows what is true and what is false. Poor woman, if she would know what is going one she probably would freak. I would be ticked if my picture was in the papers and tv with my mouth wide open and looking that bad. Poooooor Pooor woman.

adorkablex
03-30-2005, 12:25 PM
It's a witch hunt. No one will ever leave him alone.

Like I told my Mother yesterday, I feel so badly for his children.

janelle
03-30-2005, 02:14 PM
If her paremts couldn't take care of her and broke some bones then it would show up when the brought her back to the hospice.

YankeeMary
03-31-2005, 06:01 AM
If her paremts couldn't take care of her and broke some bones then it would show up when the brought her back to the hospice.
Thats not true, since her mean evil cruel husband won't allow "ANY TESTS", remember.