PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Sick baby!

sharinbo
03-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Last night, at about 3am, Cadi vomited up everything she had eaten during the entire day. You'd think some of it would have processed on through, but no, even her breakfast was in it. We started trying the slow rehydration thing that they told us to do when she was sick before, (1 tsp water every 15 mins. around the clock) and she vomited that up, too. We took her to the Dr today and her Dr said she has a stomach virus. At the time, she had no fever, and her ears were clear, but then she said Cadence had no bowel sounds. (??) She said there was nothing we could do but try to keep her hydrated and comfortable. Over the course of the day, Cadi has developed a fever of about 100 degrees, and cannot keep even liquids down. I gave her a tylenol suppository 2 hrs ago, but it hasn't touched her fever. We've been gradually giving her sips of liquids, and every few hours she vomits everything up again. Her breath smells like feces, literally. She had one poopy diaper shortly after we got home from the Dr, and then another one about an hour ago that was fairly loose and they both smelled SO BAD. (Almost as bad as her breath). Does anyone have any advice or ideas? I don't know what else to do.... when should I take her into the ER? I'm in full mommy panic here! HELP!

Mom2myboys
03-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Every time my boys got a bad bug they told me to push the fluids.
Ice pops ,water , Gerber makes LiquiLytes a new electrolyte drink. I was told as long as they are still passing they are ok but should have a wet diaper at least every 12 hours. If not got to the ER. HTH. A tepid bath works wonders too.

MamaFairal
03-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Poor baby give her some hugs for us ok ((HUGS))

sharinbo
03-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Well, I'm pushing the fluids, including pedialyte, but every drop of it keeps coming back up! Her Dr told us to make sure she has 3 wet diapers a day, she hasn't had a wet one since this morning. We've been wiping her down with a wet washcloth, but her fever is staying elevated. :(

buttrfli
03-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Can your doctor call her in some phenergan suppositories? It will help with the vomiting.

I have only taken my girls to the er if their fever was over 104. A fever is the bodys natural defense to an illness, so when they have a fever, its actually helping (although I do give motrin for fevers if they are high)

As far that the smells go.. I have NO idea. As a mom it dosen't sound right to me, but then again when kids are sick at their stomach, nothing about them smells right. I do know when you vomit a lot and aren't hydrated well, your mouth can get dry and smell very bad.

Can you alternate between tylenol and motrin every 3 or 4 hours? When a fever is being tough to break, that can sometimes help too. What about a luke warm bath? I am paranoid about giving them, but I have done it and everytime it seems to do the trick.

I hope she feels better really soon :(

Mom2myboys
03-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Well, I'm pushing the fluids, including pedialyte, but every drop of it keeps coming back up! Her Dr told us to make sure she has 3 wet diapers a day, she hasn't had a wet one since this morning. We've been wiping her down with a wet washcloth, but her fever is staying elevated. :(

I'd only wait a while longer and if she doesn't wet again I'd take her. She might be dehydrated and need IV fluids. Does you DR have an afterhours service that can page them?

sharinbo
03-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Well, she's not keeping tylenol or motrin down. I mean EVERY DROP of fluid that enters her mouth comes back up about 45 mins to 2 hrs later. Her Dr said to give her whatever she wants to eat, and she had some pedialyte and some babyfood rice cereal earlier and an hour later we were wearing it. blech! And she appears to be burping that nasty smell... You know a "boiled egg stomach"? It's like that only it smells like dirty diapers instead of boiled eggs. The Dr not hearing any bowel sounds when she listened worries me, too.

sharinbo
03-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Cadi is whimpering... I think she's doing to be sick again in a second here. (Grandma is holding her) I called her Dr's office and I'm waiting for a call back from her Dr.

nanajoanie
03-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Wrapping my arms are both of you. So scary. Been there, done that. In neaderthal times the Dr. didn't want you to bother unless the fever was 102 or higher to go to the hospital. Glad you called the Dr. back and waiting for a phone call. He will be your best friend tonight. Hope you are explaining everything to the Dr. just like you've explained to us. Sending you huggles, prayers, and healing vibes. Hang in there Mommy. Glad Grandma is there to help comfort Cadi. Please keep us up to date as time allows.

sharinbo
03-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Dr called back...has me trying to rehydrate her a teaspoon at a time. I told Dr that I doubt it will work because I tried that earlier and she vomited it all up. I offered her the pedialyte, and she is refusing it, and just lays there whimpering. Dr said we MIGHT have to meet in the ER tonight. I'm so scared for my baby girl!

nanajoanie
03-29-2005, 06:36 PM
If you have to go to the hospital, the Dr. and all the nurses will be more apt to be able to help rather than by phone. Bet they do an IV which is good. Little Cadi needs fluids. An IV doesn't go straight to her tummy for her to throw it back up. Her little tummy needs a rest. Huggling like crazy right now.

faygokraze
03-29-2005, 07:04 PM
I dont blame ya. I would be scared to death too!! No wet diapers is not good.
I would maybe try to get her in the bathtub. Just let her splash around in there for a bit if shes up to it, It will help with the fever. I used those fever reducer patches that you put on their foreheads and those seem to work OK if you cant get her to keep the medicine down.

About 3 years ago I did the motrin/tylenol thing switching between the two with DD#1. Now I have a little one again and the doctor now says NEVER do that.

I hope your little one is feeling much better quick!!!

muherd
03-29-2005, 07:25 PM
more than likely the smell is from the bile in the bowels. If she's not keeping anything down then there's nothing in her tummy but the bile that breaks down food, so that's what you're smelling. My youngest one did the same thing a couple of weeks ago and after 3 trips to the er they did a nasal swab, blood and urine work and found she had a couple of virus. Hope she feels better soon, I went through it for almost 3 weeks off and on.

june72
03-29-2005, 07:34 PM
prayers for you baby and you mom.
when we took ds to the emergency room sunday night it was full of little ones with that nasty virus. so hard on them.
they make tylonel supatories. dont like to use them but may have to. may even have to give her tylonel and motrin together, i hate to do that to but they will at the hospital.
hope she feels better SOON

ang in NC
03-29-2005, 07:41 PM
They can give her phenagan(sp) in a shot form to stop her from throwing up. It is rough when they are little and sick. Praying for her and you.

buttrfli
03-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Hope things are ok with the baby. I am thinking that you guys are at the ER, so please keep us posted!

mimi37
03-29-2005, 08:35 PM
I hope she is feeling better soon.

sharinbo
03-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Update...
Cadi's Dr called me back earlier than she said she would. She is really trying hard to keep us from having to go in to the ER. She called in a prescription for Phenergan suppositories, (which I had to cut into fifths because Cadi is only 16 and a half pounds). Hubby and Mom ran up to Walgreens. Cadi vomited again while we waited for them. Poor baby is heaving so hard and had nothing much coming up... Anyway, they got back, we gave Cadi 1/5 of the anti-nausea suppository, and an infant dose of Tylenol suppository (since she can't take anything by mouth right now), and she crashed. Dr said it would sedate her and if she sleeps through the night to just let her sleep. When the sun comes up we will see how she's doing, and talk to her Dr again. At least she is getting some much needed rest right now. She's been asleep for a little over an hour, and that's the longest she's slept all day.
Thank you all for your advice and support. I will keep you posted.
Shari

flute
03-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Oh (((hugs))) so glad she's sleeping now.

No advice (i've been so super lucky with mine) but ((hug))

mesue
03-30-2005, 03:42 AM
My grandson who is 15 months old has just gotten over this virus of vomiting, anyway the doctor told my daughter the only thing she could give him was phenergan but that it was not good to give to young children so when I read your post I at first decided to not reply for fear of upsetting you but then I thought I had to at least give you the info. I'm not trying to cause problems or to upset you but just feel you should know. I hope Cadi gets well soon.
http://pediatrics.about.com/od/drugwarnings/a/05_drug_warning_2.htm
Phenergan Warning
Phenergan is a medication that is used to stop children from vomiting. Unfortunately, it can have unintended side effects, including drowsiness and respiratory depression. There have also been reports of deaths in children under age 2 years who have taken Phenergan. This recently lead the FDA is issue a statement that states that the use of Phenergan is contraindicated in children under age 2 years. They also reported that caution should be used when giving Phenergan to older children and reminded doctors that antiemetics are not recommended for the treatment of children with uncomplicated vomiting.

queenangie
03-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Prayers for your little sweetie!

Hoping that when she wakes up, she'll be better.
Please continue to keep a close eye on her.
Hoping she'll be able to take liquids and keep them down today.

If she doesn't get any better, I would take her into the doc today.

JazzMama
03-30-2005, 07:29 AM
Hope she's feeling better today! Phenergan is the only thing that's ever helped Cailyn too - she got hit with the same thing about your daughter's age and it's so hard to go through. ((HUGS))

Bud_Girl76
03-30-2005, 01:53 PM
I think your daughter should have went to the ER.. My little 3 year old just got over this and let me tell you it lasted a full week.. He started vomiting and diarrhea last tuesday and he finally just stopped easter day.. I had him at the doctor's 3 times and fianlly they said he was getting dehydrated and he needed IV well my hubby and I took him to the ER on Saturday and it worked like a charm.. He stopped vomiting and the diarrhea finally stopped on monday.. I would take her over since she is so young.. I thin she needs IV there was so many little ones in the ER with the same thing my son has and it's no fun.. My son was like your daughter where he couldn't even keep a teaspoon of anything down he would come right back up.. If she is no better please take her to the ER and have them check her.. I reall think she needs a IV in her.. Especially if she is not wetting her diapers like she should.. PLease keep us updated..

mesue
03-30-2005, 06:56 PM
How is she doing now?