PDA

View Full Version : my new neighbor the "LYSOL" Queen

MamaFairal
03-29-2005, 07:40 AM
OMG i have a new downstairs neighbor....a 19yo girl who just had a baby 3 wks ago and her mother...

Let me tell you this girl is the lysol queen! SHe is constantly cleaning her house with lysol and i can smell it way up here in my apt and its almost gagging!! PHEWWW!ANd now she has taken to dumping some daily on the carpet in the hallway so the hallway doesnt smell like smoke from other units who smoke....lol

Someone had told me lysol wasnt good for newborns to be smelling like that and i want so much to knock on her door and tell her that....that poor baby has to be close to choking on it if i can smell it in the apt above them!
:(

Come on lady your place is clean enough....

NINK
03-29-2005, 07:50 AM
poor kid, lysol's main ingerdient is phenol-read this:

Phenol is an extremely caustic chemical that burns the skin. Absorption of phenol through the lungs or skin can cause:

· central nervous system damage
· pneumonia
· respiratory tract infection
· heart-rate irregularities
· skin irritation
· kidney and liver damage
· numbness
· vomiting
· and can be fatal

Angel Lips
03-29-2005, 07:51 AM
maybe you should talk to her about that so the baby doesnt get harmed or sick

Eyore
03-29-2005, 07:54 AM
My husbands does not like the smell of Lysol original. I usually buy one of the other scents when I buy it.
Maybe you could tell her that you can smell it in your apartment and it is bothering you and ask her to maybe cut back on it or get a different scent. If it is making you sick or causing headaches tell her and if she continues to do it then complain to the landlord maybe they could say something to her.
Good luck I think that would cause me to get headaches if I had to smell it all the time.

MamaFairal
03-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Can one of you dectives post something so i can print it and give it to her?
I dont have time to search while im gagging(showering)...lol

NINK
03-29-2005, 08:11 AM
http://www.health-report.co.uk/toxic_household_chemicals.htm here's something for you...i also read on another website that lysol contains the same chemical in "agent orange"(you know that chemical that made all the vets sick and they sued for like 200 million dollars. crazy.

mrsswede
03-29-2005, 08:19 AM
I found this at http://www.veriuni-products-store.com/article34.html

Lysol (c) is even more dangerous than we thought. It contains phenols and dioxin (Agent Orange). Bleach must be safe because people have been using it for years, right? WRONG! When using bleach, antiseptics or chlorine in industrial areas you are required by OSHA to wear impervious protective clothing, hard hats, boots, gloves, apron or coveralls, chemical goggles or
full face shield and use o*nly in well ventilated areas. And did you know that bleach is banned in
Europe!! And they're trying to have it banned in Canada and the United States now. You ever get bleach o*n your hands and they feel slimy?? The bleach is actually melting the skin cells o*n your hands and then they're extremely dry.and remember the bleach and laundry detergents do not wash out.you are living in clothes, sleeping o*n sheets and blankets that all have these residues still in them.

From the Environmental Health Newsletter, spring 1991:

We've known for a long time that Lysol contains a substance called Phenol, the ingestion of which even in small amounts can cause nausea, vomiting, circulatory collapse, paralysis, convulsions, coma, respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. (Why would anyone with children keep such a product in their home?) We have learned recently Lysol also contains Dioxin. That's the deadly ingredient used in Agent Orange that can cause genetic mutation, birth defects and cancer.
In a recent court case, Monsanto, (Lysol's parent corporation) admitted to a 30 year cover-up, lying about the presence of Dioxin in the Chloro-phenol used in Lysol. They admitted knowing how devastating Dioxin is to the environment and in the human body...yet they still put it in and they still lied and said it wasn't there.

A recent article in Greenpeace Magazine recently discussed Dioxin at length. The article explained
Dioxin causes cancer, birth defects and reproductive problems, as well as developmental and nervous and immune system abnormalities and damage to the kidneys, liver and skin. Even worse, it not o*nly causes cancer, it promotes the growth of cancers begun by other carcinogens!
Not surprisingly, the article also pointed out that Monsanto (one of the nation's largest manufacturers of Dioxin) manipulated studies designed to test Dioxin's effect o*n the environment and made the studies scientifically invalid. In other words... they changed the data and lied again.
Household chemicals cause all kinds of problems that you would never suspect could be related to cleaning your home and clothes such as: cardiovascular problems, panic and anxiety attacks, and bedwetting.

We have no choice but to breathe the air, and eat the food, and drink the water, but, we DO have a CHOICE of what we put o*n our skin and what products we have in our homes. Why are these chemicals in our homes at all?

- Probably because you didn't realize how dangerous they can be. I know I didn't!
- Probably because if they're in the stores there must be some kind of regulation right? But there aren't!

Why are we taking unnecessary chances with our children?

Most poisonings happen slowly, over a long period of time, by daily exposure to toxins in the air, and toxic chemicals that come into contact with the skin? Consumer Product Safety Commission report identified 150 chemicals commonly found in homes that have been linked to allergies, birth defects, cancer, and psychological abnormalities.

These toxic chemicals act as endocrine disrupters and can result in a variety of ways; fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, lack of fertility, etc. But when children are exposed to these day in and day out, their little immune systems can o*nly take so much and their little bodies respond with learning difficulties or disabilities, allergies, lung problems, ADD, ADHD

1. So you wonder Why asthma rate is up 600% from 1980
2. Why cancer rates have almost doubled since 1960? (Cancer has become the #1 killer of kids)
3. Specifically, why breast cancer rates have increased 26% since 1982?
4. Why we never even heard of ADD or ADHD when we were growing up? It's like an epidemic now.
5. Why EVERYONE seems to have allergies of some kind or another?

All of these have been linked back, at least somewhat, to exposure to toxic chemicals commonly found in household cleaners and cosmetics.

WHAT IS A CARCINOGEN Anyway?

A Carcinogen is a substance or agent producing or inciting cancer. Today, cancer is the leading cause of death for women aged 35-74. In 1901 cancer was considered a rare disease. Statistics show that 1 out of 8000 persons had cancer. TODAY, according to the American Cancer Society, 1 out of 3 people have cancer. By the year 2010, 1 out of 2 persons will be touched by cancer.

BTW, Airborne chemical are now a suspected cause of SIDS OF COURSE household cleaning and personal care products are NOT the o*nly source of chemicals in your home, although they ARE some of the most deadly. They are also the most easiest to replace. Why not at least cut back o*n the constant bombardment of chemicals in our lives with something we can control?

Pretty scarey. :eek:

nanajoanie
03-29-2005, 08:19 AM
This young lady sounds like a compulsive-disorder cleaner. Also maybe she thinks Lysol sterilizes the place "FOR" the baby. Years ago a girl that worked in our dept. if anyone sneezed, she would come over with her can of Lysol and start spraying the germs away. She was terrified of catching something. Enough of us complained to the boss to put a stop to it and it worked.

I agree, print out what it is and what it does and give it to her politely. If that doesn't work, then go to the landlord. Just make sure you print out extra copies. And keep one for yourself and write down the date each time you speak to the girl or landlord about it. Good luck Mama.

DreamWorld
03-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Personally, I wouldn't confront her about it. Talk to the apartment management about it so that they can handle it.

MamaFairal
03-29-2005, 08:27 AM
How do ya complain to a landlord that someone who "cleans" their apt is bothering you..lol

I think i will catch her tho and give her what i printed out for her tho...
that poor baby!

Thanks everyone

nanajoanie
03-29-2005, 08:30 AM
How do ya complain to a landlord that someone who "cleans" their apt is bothering you..lol

I think i will catch her tho and give her what i printed out for her tho...
that poor baby!

Thanks everyone

I think that' the best way. If you went to the landlord first bypassing her, you may end of feuding. If you do have to go to the landlord, just saying the girl downstairs is using so much Lysol daily and the fumes are bothering you. Ask some of your other neighbors what they think of the smell.

ang in NC
03-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Yep go to management

newwiccan
03-29-2005, 08:33 AM
ANd now she has taken to dumping some daily on the carpet in the hallway so the hallway doesnt smell like smoke from other units who smoke....lol

Maybe you could suggest to her to try Febreze in the hallway. I think it smells and works so much better than Lysol for smoke odors.

nanajoanie
03-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Maybe you could suggest to her to try Febreze in the hallway. I think it smells and works so much better than Lysol for smoke odors.

Excellent suggestion. Also maybe OUST unscented. Mama if you can afford it why not buy one of those and ask her to try it. She might like it. I just believe in giving the girl some 'motherly' advice first. Maybe she needs teaching. Like I said earlier, maybe she thinks she is killing germs to keep her baby away from germs. New Mommies are a different breed than us old seasoned gals.

MamaFairal
03-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Ask some of your other neighbors what they think of the smell.

Well the rest of those neighbors are too "high" to notice!
And not on Lysol.....lol

Yeah i might try calling the ofc and seeing what they say.

tiffya
03-29-2005, 03:33 PM
That is scary. I spend a lot of time in the school's cadaver lab and they "moisten" the cadavers with phenol. I will remember that next time I consider buying Lysol. :eek: