PDA

View Full Version : Woman Eating Chili Bites Into Human Finger

sivohdarba
03-24-2005, 04:57 AM
Woman Eating Chili Bites Into Human Finger

Strange News - AP

SAN JOSE, Calif. - A woman's meal at a Wendy's restaurant brought a whole new meaning to the term "finger food." The woman bit into a portion of a human finger while eating a bowl of chili Tuesday night at the San Jose restaurant, Santa Clara County health officials said Wednesday.

The woman, who asked officials not to identify her, immediately spit out the finger and warned other diners to stop eating, witnesses said.

"Initially she did put this object in her mouth and did bite down on it and wasn't sure exactly what it was," Santa Clara County Health Officer Dr. Martin Fenstersheib said at a news conference. "She's doing OK. Initially she was a bit grossed out it was described to me, and vomited a number of times."

Fenstersheib said the finger had been cooked at a high enough temperature to kill any viruses.

Officials said the fingertip was approximately 1 3-8-inches long and a half-inch piece of fingernail was also found. They believe it belongs to a woman because of the long, manicured nail.

Health investigators seized all of the ingredients at the restaurant and are tracing them back to their manufacturer. They believe the finger got into the chili at an earlier stage.

"We have no evidence of any accident within the employees at the facility itself," said Ben Gale of the Santa Clara County Health Department. "We asked everybody to show us they have 10 fingers and everything is OK there."

The restaurant has had only one minor health violation stemming from a leaky vent, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

"Food safety is of utmost importance to us," Wendy's spokesman Joe Desmond said in a statement. "We are cooperating fully with the local police and health departments with their investigation. It's important not to jump to conclusions. Here at Wendy's we plan to do right by our customers."

Willow
03-24-2005, 06:34 AM
That's really gross. It makes you afraid to eat out. :eek: At least if she was at KFC she could have said it was finger licking good. Okay that was bad. :D

adorkablex
03-24-2005, 08:02 AM
I have an aunt who worked at Wendy's when she was younger... she's told me before that I DO NOT want to eat the chili. All it usually (minus the finger lol) consists of is left over hamburgers crumbled up into a goopy nasty mess.

I hate eating anything at a fast food place that I can't pick apart to make sure there's not something nasty on it. That's why I get my food plain. Meat, bread and cheese. There's not much that can hide in all that :D

sdb_ngc
03-24-2005, 08:58 AM
I have an aunt who worked at Wendy's when she was younger... she's told me before that I DO NOT want to eat the chili. All it usually (minus the finger lol) consists of is left over hamburgers crumbled up into a goopy nasty mess.

I hate eating anything at a fast food place that I can't pick apart to make sure there's not something nasty on it. That's why I get my food plain. Meat, bread and cheese. There's not much that can hide in all that :D

I am the same way - I get everything plain - just meat and bread and my fries without salt so they can be made fresh.

DreamWorld
03-24-2005, 09:39 AM
This makes me not want to eat out. :eek:

sivohdarba
03-25-2005, 06:41 AM
That's really gross. It makes you afraid to eat out. :eek: At least if she was at KFC she could have said it was finger licking good. Okay that was bad. :D
:eek: :eek: Ewww!! :eek: :eek:

kidzpca
03-25-2005, 08:26 PM

Using left over hamburgers in the chili is an old urban legend. The chili is not made from "left over hamburgers". The Chili is made from burgers that after being cooked, do not add up to Wendy's standards for sandwiches and then used in the chili instead of thrown out.

adorkablex
03-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Using left over hamburgers in the chili is an old urban legend. The chili is not made from "left over hamburgers". The Chili is made from burgers that after being cooked, do not add up to Wendy's standards for sandwiches and then used in the chili instead of thrown out.

Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

Victorious
03-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Ewww! Wow and I always liked their Chili. GROSS!

adorkablex
03-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Ewww! Wow and I always liked their Chili. GROSS!

Haha so did my Dad. He turned a certain pea shade of green when I told him :D
Can't eat their salads either, last year someone found a worm in one.

Victorious
03-26-2005, 10:21 AM
I just told my dh and he turned green also! :D

Jolie Rouge
03-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Sales Drop at Wendy's After Finger Found
By ANDY RESNIK

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Sales have dropped sharply at Wendy's fast food restaurants in the area of northern California where a woman claimed she found part of a finger in a bowl of chili, but analysts say the company's long-term prognosis should not be affected.

Peter Oakes, a restaurant analyst with Piper Jaffray & Co. in New York, said he doesn't expect Wendy's business to suffer long term from the discovery Tuesday night of a partial finger.

The hamburger chain serves about 6 million meals a day across the country and has a ``national reputation for both quality and cleanliness,'' he said.

``To me the yard stick here is whether the single incident prompts the consumer to lose confidence in the brand. It's understandable to see some kind of knee-jerk reaction,'' Oakes said.

Franchise owners have informed the company's corporate headquarters in the Columbus suburb of Dublin that business is down, said Denny Lynch, spokesman for Wendy's International Inc. He said he could not release specific sales figures because Wendy's does not own those restaurants. ``It is an isolated incident. However, it is dramatically affecting sales in that market,'' Lynch said.

Authorities in San Jose, Calif., planned to search a fingerprint database on Friday to try to identify the finger's owner.

Capt. Bob Dixon of the Santa Clara County coroner's office said he did not know when their fingerprint expert might have a match. ``Nobody's claimed it yet,'' he said.

U.S. financial markets were closed Friday for the holiday weekend. The day before, on Thursday, Wendy's shares rose 43 cents, or 1.1 percent, to close at $39.43 on the New York Stock Exchange - near the high end of their 52-week trading range of $31.74 to $42.12.

Wendy's said the finger did not come from the restaurant's employees. It is also confident company suppliers are not to blame because of product coding that allows the company to trace where a product comes from, the day it was produced, when it was shipped and when it arrived at the restaurant, Lynch said.

However, he acknowledged the process was ``not absolutely 100 percent perfect.''

Matt Baun, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service, said it was doubtful a person working at a federal beef producer would have lost the finger in an accident. ``The production line would have stopped, there would have been immediate need for medical attention and the meat products would be destroyed and not used for food,'' he said.

A Louisville, Ky., lawyer who has handled similar cases said he doesn't expect Wendy's image to take much of a hit. Bo Bolus, who has represented plaintiffs over foreign objects found in McDonald's food and defended insurance companies against those claims, said consumers tend to realize that incidents like the one at Wendy's are accidents. ``I haven't found any big institutional problems in the fast-food chains,'' Bolus said. ``I still go to McDonald's with my four boys.''

03/26/05 13:50

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=ne-main-9-l6&flok=FF-APO-1333&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050326%2F1350169217.htm&sc=1333

Trishntx
03-28-2005, 07:13 AM
Last week, my son found a cockroach in a dessert at a Chinese food place and yesterday found a rubber band, frozen in a piece of ice at another take out place.

Last weekend, at TGI Fridays, I was eating their fish (sticks) and chomped down on a huge piece of hard plastic, the waiter just happend to be refilling my water when I took it out of my mouth. He was horrified. I think the worst thing was when I found maggots floating in some hot chocolate I had gotten from the Sonic.

freebielover
03-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Last week, my son found a cockroach in a dessert at a Chinese food place and yesterday found a rubber band, frozen in a piece of ice at another take out place.

Last weekend, at TGI Fridays, I was eating their fish (sticks) and chomped down on a huge piece of hard plastic, the waiter just happend to be refilling my water when I took it out of my mouth. He was horrified. I think the worst thing was when I found maggots floating in some hot chocolate I had gotten from the Sonic.

OMG that is so gross. I've never had anything like that happen to me, I would throw a fit. I cant even imagine finding a FINGER! Lol, have they found who it belongs to yet? Don't you think someone would have noticed they were missing a finger and come foward by now?

YankeeMary
03-28-2005, 08:37 AM

Not being me but if I were you, I would never ever go out to eat again...that is just horrible. I am glad you haven't suffered any harm, besides mentally, from any of these incidents.

YankeeMary
03-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Bad???? LOL...sick sick sick..haha...you are too funny.

Willow
03-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Bad???? LOL...sick sick sick..haha...you are too funny.

It gives new meaning to finger foods. :eek: :D

YankeeMary
03-28-2005, 05:53 PM
It gives new meaning to finger foods. :eek: :D
Somebody stop her...lol

I just heard on the news that the woman has already filed a lawsuit against Wendy's.....unreal. Anything can happen anymore, kinda makes you want to raise your own garden and your own cattle just for precaution. This totally grosses me out. EWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Surfergal
03-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Woman Finds Reptile In Store-Bought Green Beans
Company Is Pulling Item From Shelves

POSTED: 10:27 pm EST March 31, 2005

A Detroit woman opened a can of green beans and found something that wasn't food, but some kind of small reptile.

RECALLED BEANS
The cans are Wylwood Premium Blue Lake Cut Green Beans.
Lot code No. "00249 0809 atf4hy" will be stamped on the top of the can.

Luvenia Jackson found what appeared to be a small leapfrog packaged in a can of Wylwood Premium Blue Lake Cut Green Beans that she bought at a local Save-A-Lot store.

"I said 'What is this meaty looking something in the can?'" Jackson told Local 4. "(It looked like) a baby alligator's head or something."

The Save-A-Lot Store at Warren Road and Conner Avenue where Jackson bought the beans referred all calls to its corporate office.

"Customer safety and satisfaction are key at Save-A-Lot. We sincerely regret this unfortunate incident and have immediately withdrawn from sale the product in this lot code. While we have received no other complaints related to our canned vegetables, we take this claim very seriously. We contacted the manufacturer, New Era Canning Co., to begin a thorough investigation of quality control procedures and will be forthright in sharing our findings. Save-A-Lot's immediate concern is ensuring that our customers receive the quality products they expect and deserve from our vendor partners. Further, we want to reiterate to our shoppers that Save-A-Lot provides a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee."

Because of Jackson's findings and Local 4 bringing the problem to the company's attention, about 70 stores will pull the cans of green beans from their shelves immediately.

Customers should return the can to the store where they purchased it for a full refund.

The cans are Wylwood Premium Blue Lake Cut Green Beans sold in Save-A-Lot stores, mostly in Michigan. Lot code No. "00249 0809 atf4hy" will be stamped on the top of the can.

cleaningla
04-08-2005, 09:53 AM
http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=652223

April 8, 2005 — Police have searched the Las Vegas home of the woman who claims she found a human fingertip in a bowl of chili at a San Jose, Calif., Wendy's restaurant last month.

San Jose and Las Vegas executed the search warrant for Anna Ayala's home on Wednesday. Authorities said it is part of an ongoing investigation into where the finger came from.

"We are looking into every aspect in this case," San Jose police spokeswoman Gina Tepoorten told The Associated Press. "We are talking to people she knows as well as the finder of the finger. … We want to determine who this finger belongs to and how it ended up in a bowl of chili."

The alleged victim says she is not pleased about the latest turn in the case.

"You know what, I'm sick of it," said Ayala, 39. "I'm tired of it."

Her son said the search warrant mentioned the possibility that the fingertip came from Ayala's dead aunt, though police would not confirm that detail.

"Knowing that there was a human remain in my mouth … it is disgusting," Ayala told ABC News' "Good Morning America" shortly after reporting the grisly discovery. "It is tearing me apart inside."

No Missing Fingers

Wendy's has been conducting its own investigation. So far, it has found no indication the partial finger came from one of its employees.

"We are confident at this present time … [that] the source did not come out of our restaurant," said Steve Jay, Wendy's West Coast corporate spokesman.

Wendy's officials told ABC News San Francisco station KGO-TV that they have checked all of the employees in the San Jose area and no one was missing a finger. They also contacted the company's suppliers, and no one in the area reported any finger or hand problems.

Wendy's has offered a $50,000 reward to the first person providing verifiable information leading to the positive identification of the origin of the finger. The Santa Clara County coroner's office, using a partial fingerprint to attempt to find a match in an electronic database, came up empty. DNA testing is still being conducted.

onfire4god57
04-08-2005, 10:49 AM
When I first read this story, it made me wonder how anyone would not see something on their plastic spoon that you get with the chili at Wendy's as big as this was. Now it may just be me, but I do have a tendancy of watching what I am putting on my eating utensils. How could you not see a fingertip laying on your spoon before you put it in your mouth. And isn't it awfully strange that her bowl of chili also contained the 1/2 fingernail. Now what is the odds of both things to just happen get into the same bowl.

I think the cops are probably on to something here, and I think they are doing good in investigating the aledged victim. Sounds to me someone was out to make some quick money and their 15 minutes of fame.

But then again, this is just my opinion.

Jolie Rouge
04-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Posted 4/8/2005

Woman claiming she found a finger in chili has sued before

LAS VEGAS - The woman who claims she bit into a human finger while eating chili at a Wendy's restaurant has a history of filing lawsuits — including a claim against another fast-food restaurant.

Anna Ayala who hired a San Jose, Calif., attorney to represent her in the Wendy's case, has been involved in at least half a dozen legal battles in the San Francisco Bay area, according to court records.

She brought a suit against an ex-boss in 1998 for sexual harassment and sued an auto dealership in 2000, alleging the wheel fell off her car.

Speaking through the front door of her Las Vegas home Friday, Ayala claimed police are out to get her and were unnecessarily rough as they executed a search warrant at her home on Wednesday. "Lies, lies, lies, that's all I am hearing," she said. "They should look at Wendy's."

Ayala acknowledged, however, that her family received a settlement for their medical expenses about a year ago after her daughter got sick from food at an El Pollo Loco restaurant in Las Vegas. She declined to provide any further details.

San Jose police have joined the Las Vegas police fraud unit in the investigation into how a 1 inch-long fingertip ended up in Ayala's bowl of chili at the San Jose Wendy's on March 22. Ayala has sued the franchise owner, JEM Management.

Wendy's spokesman Bob Bertini would not comment on the investigation Friday. The company, however, maintains that the finger did not enter the food chain in its ingredients. The employees at the San Jose store were found to have all their fingers, and no suppliers of Wendy's ingredients have reported any hand or finger injuries, the company said.

On Thursday, Wendy's offered a $50,000 reward to anyone providing verifiable information leading to the positive identification of the origin of the finger.

Ken Bono, a family friend who lives at the home, said officers searched freezers, a picnic cooler in the backyard and the belongings of an aunt who used to live at the house. San Jose police dismissed rumors that the finger might have belonged to Ayala's late aunt.

However, investigators said they were still looking into the possibility that the missing finger was the result of an industrial accident or foul play. "The simple fact of the matter is that the finger came from somebody." said Sgt. Nick Muyo, a spokesman for the SJPD.

The Santa Clara County Coroner's Office used a partial fingerprint to attempt to find a match in an electronic database of missing people and those with criminal histories, but came up empty. DNA testing is still being conducted on the finger.

Bertini said Wendy's stores in the area have suffered from declining sales since the incident. "Obviously the store has been down significantly," he said. "This has been an ordeal for all of us. Hopefully there will be a resolution soon."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2005-04-08-finger_x.htm?csp=26&RM_Exclude=Juno

janelle
04-09-2005, 10:48 AM
IS THAT YOU MANDA???????????? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :confused: :D

katzenberg
04-09-2005, 03:00 PM
hello

schsa
04-09-2005, 03:15 PM
I highly doubt that it came from anything inside of Wendy's. I am willing to bet that they find out the woman put it in her chili. Someone would have noticed somethign that big and light colored in a pot of chili.

I am betting they find it was her.

Jolie Rouge
04-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Maybe she should have used one of those big "palmento" bugs instead... :eek:

sivohdarba
04-09-2005, 06:28 PM
IS THAT YOU MANDA???????????? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :confused: :D
LOLOLOL! Manda...gotta love her!!! :p

sivohdarba
04-09-2005, 06:32 PM
The case keeps getting better and better. I am begining to think she put the finger in there herself. But, where does one find a spare finger to poison a cup of gaggy meated Wendy's Chili anyways?

Ya think she's like another Jeffrey Dahmer and has tons of "spare" parts all burried, and crated at her disposal? Ewww....I am feeling a bit spewey now...ekkks!!

janelle
04-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Memo to police. Go look in her freezer. You may find all kinds of body parts. EEEWWWWWW. They are saying finger may have come from her dead aunt. I can just see it--- please give me a little time to be alone with her before you close the lid. EEEEWWWWWWW. :rolleyes:

LillyMoon
04-12-2005, 05:39 AM
:eek: EWWWW !!! I think its a scam that seems to be her job in life to sue people.I look forward to hearing where and from who the finger came from! Yuck!She should face some kind of charges when all is said and done.

Jolie Rouge
04-14-2005, 06:09 PM
New twist on finger found in chili
Officials doubt link between Wendy's discovery, leopard attack
Thursday, April 14, 2005

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP) -- Authorities investigating the origin of a finger found in a California bowl of fast-food chili said Thursday they have uncovered no link to a Nevada leopard attack that cost a woman part of her index finger.

Nye County Sheriff Tony DeMeo said the chance of any connection is "diminishing." San Jose, California, Police Sgt. Nick Nuyo said investigators there were also skeptical.

Sandy Allman, 59, lost a 3/4-inch fingertip February 23 in the attack by a spotted leopard being kept at her home in rural Pahrump, about 60 miles west of Las Vegas.

Las Vegas resident Anna Ayala claimed she found a 1 1/2-inch fingertip on March 22 while eating at a Wendy's in San Jose. "Obviously, if we have more of a finger than she lost, you might look at that on face value and say it's probably not the same," Nuyo said Thursday.

A lawyer for Allman had said that she wanted to participate in any DNA testing of the found finger. She said she last saw her fingertip packed in ice in a Las Vegas emergency room. Doctors told her it could not be reattached, and she does not know what happened to it after that, lawyer Philip Sheldon said.

The hospital said it cannot account for the missing fingertip.

Ayala was visiting relatives in San Jose and could not be reached for comment. Her attorney, Jeffrey Janoff, said Wednesday that she had decided not to pursue a lawsuit over the found finger because scrutiny by police and reporters had been "very difficult for her emotionally."

Court records show Ayala has previously made claims against corporations, including a former employer, General Motors and a fast-food restaurant.

Wendy's maintains the finger did not enter the food in its ingredients. It has offered a $50,000 reward in the case and was keeping open a hot line for tips, spokesman Denny Lynch said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/04/14/wendys.finger.ap/index.html

schsa
04-15-2005, 03:50 AM
As long as that woman has backed off her lawsuit it makes me believe that there is something very wrong with what she says she found. I highly doubt what she is saying.

kidzpca
04-15-2005, 12:09 PM
She dropped the lawsuit because the experience is much too "stressful" for her. She can't take the HEAT.

Don't tell "Manda" but I would think that the "Stress" would warrant like another 5-10 million in the Damages department.

Jolie Rouge
04-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Wendy's Doubles Chili Finger Reward to $100,000
April 15, 2005

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Wendy's International Inc. on Friday doubled to $100,000 the reward it is offering for information on the origin of a human finger found last month in a bowl of chili at one of its restaurants.

In a statement, Wendy's President and Chief Operating Officer Tom Mueller said the company's franchisees and employees have "done nothing wrong, yet they are paying a severe price with sales down significantly" in the San Jose, California, area where the incident occurred.

Some of the franchisees have laid off workers or reduced workers' hours, the company said. "Our brand reputation has been affected nationally," Mueller added. "We are determined to find out what really happened in this incident."

Wendy's has said repeatedly that its own investigation into the matter found no evidence of any finger or hand accidents among any of its workers or suppliers. The workers also passed lie detector tests, the company said on Friday.

Anna Ayala, the woman who said last month she found a finger in her bowl of Wendy's chili, is no longer pursuing a legal claim against Wendy's, the company said, citing media reports. She is also no longer being represented by San Jose personal injury attorney Jeffrey Janoff, who had been handling her case, his office said on Friday.

Ayala could not immediately be reached for comment.

Media reports last week said Ayala's home in Las Vegas was searched by the police as part of the investigation into the incident. San Jose police officials said a search warrant had indeed been issued but declined to give further details on either the location or outcome of the search.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050415/od_nm/leisure_wendys_finger_dc&e=3

((If you click the link - they have a picture of the finger and nail "found" in the chili ))

sivohdarba
04-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Here it is:

All together now---EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! :eek: :eek: The finger nail is not attached to the finger...did she claim she bit it in half?? :confused:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050415/lthumb.fx10704152121.wendy_s_finger_fx107.jpg

YankeeMary
04-22-2005, 02:25 AM
They just said on the news that she was arrested....I hope so if she is lying.